Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectLOL!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=18835&mesg_id=18858
18858, LOL!
Posted by nonseq, Tue Mar-20-01 02:32 PM
>And what did the Roots do
>when they won their Grammy?
> Personally, I can't remember.
> I do, however, recall
>Eminem going to and performing
>at the award show he
>doesn't "give a damn about",
>and using it as an
>opportunity to plug D-12.

I do recall him flipping off the crowd as well.

>I also seem to recall
>Com and the Roots having
>some sort of artistic integrity.

Artistic integrity that is happily sacrificed in the hopes of being more commercially viable, as in "You Got Me", "Reminding Me Of Sef", "Ghetto Heaven" and its remix, and "Retrospective for Life"

> Every damn song Eminem
>does is either "Look at
>me, I'm so outrageous", "Look
>at me, I'm misunderstood and
>persecuted" or "Look at me,
>I rule the world".

Inaccurate. He also has dis songs, songs on the Slim Shady album that addressed his poverty, and various instances of social commentary throughout his songs, especially in "Who Knew".

>The Roots, and especially Com,
>at least wite ABOUT SOMETHING.
> Eminem writes about absolutely
>nothing,

Okay, define your "something" and your "nothing" so we can be on the same page.

and do you know
>why? It gets his
>ass paid.

Right, but when Common and the Roots gladly give their music to Reebok and Volkswagen, it's not about getting paid? Nice one, ace.

Everything he
>does is based around the
>premise "Will this sell me
>more records?". Everything.

I'm sorry, but Eminem's not the one reaching for R&B hooks, interpolations of old hits for their singles, and yanking motherfuckers off a track to put someone platinum and video-friendly on instead. Your beloved okayartists are. All that shit is arguably based around the premise "will this sell me more records?"

Eminem, however, despite going platinum, found time to lace underground cats like the Outsidaz and Sway and Tech with appearances on two joints each, appeared on Tony Touch's 50 Mc's compilation, appeared on Domingo's compilation, appeared on the Soundbombing Compilation, Tony Touch's The Piecemaker, DJ Spinna's compilation, etc. Now, if you're going to argue he did all that shit to endear himself to the TRL heads, you're a better comedian than I thought. Oh, and he also singlehandedly put on Royce 5'9 and D-12. All that helped him get paid, right?

>He refdefines the art of
>commercial whoring.

Moreso than ?uest happily drumming away for an NSync track and stabbing Jill Scott in the back to get sales, I'm sure. Just admit you're a hypocrite and move on.

Love how you ignored my points there, ace. Some rebuttal would have been nice......

AIM: nichet00

"Even when I say nothing, it's a brilliant use of negative space" El-P

Raeshika: i bought slum used today
Raeshika: returned it 3 hrs later.
nichet00: ha ha
nichet00: that should go in my sig
nichet00: putting it in now