Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectStraight Comedy
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=18835&mesg_id=18854
18854, Straight Comedy
Posted by nonseq, Mon Mar-19-01 06:21 PM
>But that's exactly why Em wouldn't
>want beef with Dilated.
>He'd rather pick on people
>with no respect and integrity
>than keep a beef with
>Ev going. He has
>nothing to lose from insulting
>Britney Spears, but he probably
>cares about actual hip-hop heads
>respecting him. He'll lose
>underground respect if he beefs
>with Dilated, lus he pisses
>off potential buyers of the
>D-12 album.

And this is something he wouldn't have been concerned about while dissing Cage? Riiiiight.

Plus, making
>fun of pop stars makes
>14-year old boys laugh, and
>thus sells records, which is
>Em's primary goal, since he
>is music's biggest whore.

Okay, I think I have this whole okay-double standard figured out.

Common disses weaklings in 14-year-old Immature and Puff Daddy, then takes on a has-been in Ice Cube and gets canonized. Em disses weaklings from TRL, tackles a has-been (arguably) in Everlast, and disses an underground emcee with credibility in Cage and gets labeled as "scared to battle underground emcees and only targeting pop acts to 1. Maintain street cred. 2. Impress MTV fans."

The Roots shaft the fuck out of Jill Scott, replacing her with Erykah Badu to make "You Got Me" more commercially viable. ?uest admits that You Got Me is a pop song and Jill sang the hook better, but claims "the decision was made, people got families to feed, rah rah rah" and no one thinks less of them. But, Eminem's the biggest whore? Suuuure.

Common goes from 0 R&B hooks to aping R. Kelly and Mary J Blige, dredging up Patrice Rushen's "You Remind Me" for the umpteenth time in the hopes of creating a hit. He follows this with a single based on another hit formula: having Lauryn Hill re-sing an old song and sashay around in the video. He slaps the newly platinum Erykah Badu on a track for good measure. Next album he tops this by adding the platinum D'Angelo, Bilal, more R&B hooks and a remix with the R&B chick du jour, Macy Gray. But, Eminem's the biggest whore? Suuuure.

Redman, when guest-starring on Missy's album, insisted that Missy leave underground emcee Danja Mowf of the track, citing concerns it wouldn't blow up enough. But, Eminem's the biggest whore? Suuuure.

And, let me guess: it's ok for ?uest to perform with pop darling Prince and for the Roots to record with Lenny Kravitz, both of which have legions of suburbian whitebread fans, but Eminem performing with Elton John is "selling out".

At first I was searching for the logic behind this thinking, only to realize there was none, and there truly is an okay-double-standard.

Can't wait to see it reappear if those rumors about Soulquarians doing work with NSync turn out to be true.

AIM: nichet00

"Even when I say nothing, it's a brilliant use of negative space" El-P

Raeshika: i bought slum used today
Raeshika: returned it 3 hrs later.
nichet00: ha ha
nichet00: that should go in my sig
nichet00: putting it in now