Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subject3rd Rail's Ego
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=18420&mesg_id=18511
18511, 3rd Rail's Ego
Posted by guest, Wed Mar-07-01 08:51 PM
First things first, I love the music Talib Kweli and Hi-Tek create. Simply beautiful.

3rd Rail used to be one of my favorite DJ's, but not because of what transpired with him and Talib. Here is why. I go to the University of Illinois at Chicago and live in the dorms. I have been able to catch 3rd Rail's shows on WCRX since '97 (pre-Internet transmission days), since the radio station he is on is down the street from my school. You can only reach the show if you are in the vicinity or driving around in your car. I've tried both. He used to play the dopeness and hip me to some new stuff. I would listen every Thursday while finishing my Accounting homework that would last the whole show. But now he talks for like half the 3 hour show and plays the same material everyweek. He alsways brags about the show being live, which is cool and often disses WGCI. He mixes pretty well, the blends are on. When he tries to do tricks, it is a different story. The man can't juggle. I respect that he tries, but dude needs practice, AT HOME. God forbid someone say that he isn't good at it, then he might erupt and spend the whole show dissing the caller for his constructive criticism. 3rd Rail's ego has gotten way to big. He always brags how he got back from Tokyo, New York, Canada or somewhere else collecting records for his mixtpaes. I congratulate the fact he has put out 35 editions of the "Subway Hip Hop" mixtape, but who cares. Quit bragging like the crap is groundbreaking, I've heard better blends and play selection. Always bragging about being in the subway tunnels the past weekend. Grow up man. Aren't graffiti artists supposed to remain unknown? That's the mystery and appreciation for the art. Everytime I see a piece, I'm like, "That's dope, who did that?" You never want to know, you just admire the artwork. 3rd Rail is always commenting how he ducked the transit police. Calm down, dude. It's not that serious. Just play the records!

I used to go to his functions. I remember he had one back in like '97 when he had Defari. It was in the basement of the IIT campus. Defari wrecked it. He put me on to Defari, but he acts like he is responsible for Defari blowing up or something, always reflecting on that accomplishment. Fact of the matter, I would have heard of Defari if 3rd rail never played him. He had a video on BET for God sakes. I just would never have heard of him the Year before his video came out. I stay connected and probably would have heard some of Defari's stuff on the internet somewhere.

My point being that 3rd Rail has lost touch with reality, just a bit. Homie needs a reality check like finally graduating from Columbia College instead of paying for semesters just to have a radio show (WCRX). Cache 22 is better than him and his show got moved form the time slot before 3rd Rail's. Cache 22 should have gotten his spot.

No disrespect...

A former fan,
Martian

"Logos backwards please" - Evidence