Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectit just occurred to me...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=17742&mesg_id=17784
17784, it just occurred to me...
Posted by h20molecule, Thu Mar-15-01 07:04 PM
do you think its even possible for music to be ruined?

the more i think about it, the more i realize that historically speaking good music will last and last and last. There seems to be a lot of concern about how hip hop and black music in general is being fucked up by the amreketing machine and greedy business men posing as arts. But isn't man's desire to express himself sonically going to live on regardless? Isn't my love for hip hop going to remain the same even if it goes the way of jazz or rock and roll? Why are we so concerned for this music when this music has been evolving within us for hundreds of years now? who are we to concern ourselves with where it goes, what forms take root and and which forms wither and die? If we are all the fans of art like we claim to be in here we will follow the art, right? Or will we lament over the fact that record companies don't want to support the brand of music we feel is best? Seems like there are more important things in jeopardy. In Florida, they just gave a 14 year old boy life in prison with no parole for a crime he commited when he was 12. I am just saying, can't we let the music look out for itself since it has lasted this long or do we have to perceive every N'Sync/Sisqo collaboration as an insidious plot to destroy black music? I am not saying concern is not in order but I think we got some really vigilante-type mofo's in here who are more concerned about whether Kweli gets airplay then if they right to vote gets taken away (like it did in Florida)

h20