Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectGeneral Soulquarian Response
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=17742&mesg_id=17755
17755, General Soulquarian Response
Posted by bshelly, Mon Mar-12-01 04:35 AM
>
>
>so is primo
>so is swiss beats
>so is rock a fella
>so is a touch of jazz
>so is prince
>so are the beatnuts
>so is r kelly
>so is 88 keys
>so is rodney jerkins
>i can go on forever........

Uhm, I think I understand the argument you're trying to make, but do you really wanna make it? I mean, on that list, the only two I have much love for are Primo and Prince, and even I'd argue that they've grown stagnant. There's a fine line between consistency and a rut.

>
>
>
>brown sugar/voodoo- if u don't see
>artistic growth...

I do, absolutely, but be careful. All the "where are the songs?" questions aren't fair for one album, but at some point D's gotta re-embrace form if he wants to be one of the giants. After all, Radiohead's following Kid A with a more conventional album (that's a joke).

>can i borrow a dollar/like water
>for chocolate- if u don't
>see growth....

Yup, although a more appropriate question might be if there's growth, sonically, from TFA or VooDoo (the second one's not fair, I know). There are times on LWFC (like The Questions) when it does sound like Soulquarian autopilot. But, you saved Common's career, and on the whole the album's dope. No complaints here, but I hope this was the culmination of a particular approach. Anything else will get repetitive.

>baduism/mama's gun- you don't see growth?

Nada nada nada, not a damn thing. With the Cheeba sound remix and the second single, she's getting close, but she's not pulling her weight yet. Her voice is and always will be dope, but right now too many of her tracks sound like soul muzak, and too many of her lyrics are deep-like-high-school-poetry. She really does need to get over herself and her self-projected image as the Rebel Queen (which you're not helping, Chewie) and concentrate on finding the groove more consistently.

>
>organix/things fall apart- you don't see
>growth?
>utd project/black on both sides- no
>growth?

I wholeheartedly agree with the "not fair" judgement of the other dude, but you've earned the right to gloat. Hell, TFA is five times better than Illadelph, and black on both sides is about 30 times better than the Black Star album. Point granted, and congratulations.

>>but i doubt that the media
>and radio and the like
>are sitting around having a
>round table disscussion about how
>we must be stopped.
>
>i hear that about other cats
>like puff or rockafela or
>ruff ryders.

But that's not the question. Do you really sit up at nights ranking yourself against those artistic nonentities? The question is, can you freak like Prince, like Stevie, like George across borders? This is a fair question to ask since that's always been your stated goal. As fans we're fickle but really excited by your potential, and we don't want to have to wait for the next D album to signal your new direction. You, especially, are too talented to merely support the innovations of D and Jay Dee.

I want to hear the Soulquarians go through a "U Got the Look"/"Cream" phase. I wanna hear y'all do Funkadelic (AND DON'T MAKE MY ASS WAIT SEVEN YEARS FOR JAMES RIVER!!). For Christ sakes, I want to hear y'all ract to Stankonia. I kno you've got soul, I know you know your history, but can you move ass? Because all the artist you guys cite, from the ones listed above to Ornette and Coltraine, knew that part of it was just as essential as the artistic side.

With high ambition comes high expectations. Good luck

-----
bshelly: railing against the Industrial Revolution since 1999. Even Adam Smith recognizes:

"The man whose whole life is spent in performing a few simple operations, of which the effects too are, perhaps, always the same, or very nearly the same, has no occassion to exert his understanding, or to exercise his invention in finding out expedients for removing difficulties which never occur. He naturally loses, therefore, the habit of such exertion, and generally becomes as stupid and ignorant as it is possible for a human creature to become." That's my word.