Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectgenius is geniusis genius
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=17742&mesg_id=17748
17748, genius is geniusis genius
Posted by h20molecule, Tue Mar-13-01 05:41 PM
you are right, there is no difference between fulfillingness first finale and songs in the key of life (except that audiences seemed more ready and receptive by the time SITKOL came out thus it is remembered as THE Stevie album rather then FFF) in terms of growth, because Stevie was already a giant by 1974. You don't care if a giant grows a couple more inches. But if you look at Stevie's early career there is definite growth and maturation up until 1972 when Music of My Mind and Talking Book were released. After '72, the growth moved from linear to more like multi-dimensional expansion. He could go an any direction because he had fully developed his means of expressing his genius. Its kind of like a bottle rocket reaching high enough into the sky to expand in any and all directions..

Everyone of us is infinitely creating, but we all have this inner critic that stifle's the process...our growth as artists is linear as we learn to free our expression from that voice. But then you hit that critical mass when that voice cannot really stifle you anymore, then its not about maturation anymore. Stevie '72, Marvin '71, Curtis '68, Prince age 4.

In my opinion, its harder to detect maturation in a collective the size of the soulaquarians. Some may have hit that critical mass already. My gut tells me that most of the soulaquarians haven't because relatively speaking hip hop soul musicians are some insecure mofos. How else do you explain the ubiquitous superiority complex of just about every stage persona in hip hop? To this date, Timbaland is the only person who I ever heard rate himself below average on the mic (and I quote "your grandma can beat me rapping"), but even then, he went on to say he was the greatest beat creator there is. I just think that the nature of the fans (super-fickle and with this ying yang battle between being reactionary and the endless search for the new hot shit) coupled with the fact that many think that somehow hip hop music is not as pure of an artfrom creates this very difficult environment to let loose one's creativity. Now if fear takes over and the roots do really drop 'things fall apart 33 and a third', then banging or not, it won't be growth. I don't see it happening though.

To put it in other terms...

I don't care how many unreleased, yet bangin' Tupac and Biggie tracks you unearth that music will only make me wonder what would have been had those artists been allowed to grow.

h20