Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectMING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=17189
17189, MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by emeyesi, Mon Apr-16-01 07:09 PM
Okay I'm playing...but read what the Spooks have to say about that matter below.

Booka-T responds for the Spooks about all the Ming-Xia should go solo questions. Read on:

"Various other projects have always been in the plans,including a ming solo joint.spooks work as a unit and has always had a big plan.siosos is just the first step.people will get a solo album but it will not happen until we are ready and not before.we are doing very well all over the world;touring and selling alot of records,not to mention collecting many plaques.we are the least known in the US but working on that little problem.think about this.if you had a group that is successful all over the globe in all the largest markets,selling records,has a large touring fan base and recieving gold plaques and soon to be platinum,would you stop all that to do a solo album b-cuz a few peeps in one market thats not even your biggest selling market suggested that ming do a solo album - i don't think so.most places that we tour in the world dont even bring that up.infact,we've only been asked that one time in about 100 interviews in say about 20 countries.if we stopped to do a ming solo album would we not be letting down a larger amount of fans through out the world.that wouldn't make sense.sorry to go off the subject but people often assume that if you are not big in the US that it all ends right there.many of the artist that are huge in the states are not known anywhere else. trust me,i know.some of the ones that are known abroad cant even give away concert tickets.outside the states no one wants to see them live.there are gold and platinum artist in the states that spooks would have to open up for in the states,but they would have to be spooks,black eyed peas or wheatus' opening act anywhere else on the planet.i guess im explaining all this to help people to understand why it would be crazy as well as a dangerous move to do a solo album anytime soon. oh yeah,if this type of post ever comes up again,can everyone in the safehouse either give them the same explanation or direct them to this one.i believe that b cuz we are not yet as successful in the states people dont realize how much we have to loose by doing a ming solo joint too soon.for those of you who do not know the fugees blew up off of their first album in europe.you know the one that didnt do so well at home.the roots had a huge touring fanbase in europe when no one in the states even knew who they were.and they made great money doing it!im in europe right now and you see spooks and the black eyed peas on mtv as much as you would see emenim or jay z in the states.does not sound like the proper time to do a solo joint to me. how can an album be good if all but one of its 5 members are wack? thanx 4 your honest review.b cuz i respect that,i tried to give you an honest reply.i hope you see this reply and please stick around you have a home here."

Hope that'll clear up alot for those who've been asking. Make sure you check out http://www.spooks.net oh and the Spooks even roam the message boards a la Brother Question.

NEW ENGLAND PLAYERS UNITE!!!

http://groups.aol.com/neokayplayers

EMAIL ME @ emeyesi@aol.com
17190, Damn!
Posted by Brandard, Mon Apr-16-01 07:18 PM
I had no idea they were that big in europe.

that is kind of crazy when you think about it.......
17191, YES!!!
Posted by guest, Tue Apr-17-01 03:01 PM
I can't wait for the Ming Xia solo joint. I don't have the S.I.O.S.O.S album, but I listened to "Things I've Seen" and was completely turned off by the delivery in the 2nd and 3rd verses. Ming Xia is blazin, but her friends need some work.

(0-0) *four eyes*

17192, true dat
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue Apr-17-01 03:13 PM
no doubt, the girl has a tight voice, but the mc's suck a fat one. There mc's are so bad that i cant even listen to their music. Not to mention their lack of identity and if they do have one, its pretty wack. Bottom line: The Spooks suck, and im sick of them being considered "okayartists".

one.
17193, RE: true dat
Posted by emeyesi, Tue Apr-17-01 07:05 PM
Out of curiosity who do you consider to be "dope"?

17194, RE: true dat
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue Apr-17-01 07:26 PM
well, i could name so many artists, from so many certain genres of music, but i would certainly say that the Roots, Common, and Reflection Eternal would defintly be some of my fav. artrists. Im just not feelin the Spooks or anything that they bring to the table and i dont feel it is fair to put them on that "elite" status that i give to the rest of the "real" okayartists. Sorry playa.

peace.
17195, one more thing.......
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue Apr-17-01 07:27 PM
and it seems to be a universal feeling that the mc's from Spooks are wack as hell, so its not like im the only one not feelin their vibe.
17196, ha ha haha ha..
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-18-01 01:04 PM
>and it seems to be a
>universal feeling that the mc's
>from Spooks are wack as
>hell, so its not like
>im the only one not
>feelin their vibe.

The only song I can tolerate is "Sweet Revenge". I could download the whole damn album off Napster, but i don't feel like puttin my computer through the stress. I don't trust those spooky mc's...

(0-0) *four eyes*

17197, RE: one more thing.......
Posted by emeyesi, Wed Apr-18-01 04:59 PM
Universal? They're major league over in Europe playa remember that the U.S. of A. isn't the only land mass on the planet. I'm sure if you polled the heads who post here many would say that the mc's are wack but this in only one website, someone out there must be feeling them if their album sales have surpassed those of the first albums of other okayartists. Marinate on that one.

17198, RE: one more thing.......
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Apr-18-01 05:29 PM
I'm sure if
>you polled the heads who
>post here many would say
>that the mc's are wack
>but this in only one
>website, someone out there must
>be feeling them if their
>album sales have surpassed those
>of the first albums of
>other okayartists. Marinate on that
>one.

Well unfortunately, as far as im concerned, the good ol' U.S. of A. is the only land mass that i care about. I could give a fuck about how well-recieved they are in Paris, Lebanon, or any other fuckin country for that matter. Im sure i could find a lot of wack shit thats popular out in Germany, it doesnt mean that its necessarily good. And even more, i could care less about what heads are posting on other hip hop sites, its irrelevant. Just because a group has a fan club doesnt mean that they are good. Thats like saying Brittany Spears is good because she has her own website with millions of fans singing her praise.

>I'm sure if
>you polled the heads who
>post here many would say
>that the mc's are wack
>but this in only one
>website, someone out there must
>be feeling them if their
>album sales have surpassed those
>of the first albums of
>other okayartists.

........ Thats the dumbest comment ive ever heard. First off, does album sales necessarily mean that they are a "dope group"? DMX goes multi platinum with every record, does that mean that hes the illest lyricist around? HELL NO. So fuck how many albums Spooks sold in Italy. Who cares? And does your statement imply that the early okayartists' albums were not tight albums? I dont know the stats off hand, but i cant imagine Do You Want More going platinum or anything like that, so does that mean that the album wasnt a straight up classic? If thats how u feel than i think you should hang around on the websites where the Spooks are hailed as the greatest hip hop act on the planet. Marinate on that one playa.

peace.

PS. I really dont see where your coming from in your defense of the Spooks. Do you have some sort of vested interest in them? Are you like their fuckin manager or something, or are you just one of their wack m.c.'s creeping the okay boards tryin to spread the word. I dont know, but you seem to be on their dick pretty damn hard.

17199, Amen to that...n/m
Posted by guest, Thu Apr-19-01 05:36 PM

(0-0) *four eyes*

17200, RE: Amen to that...n/m
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Apr-19-01 06:10 PM
im sayin man, what is up with this cat? Dude postin up the spooks homepage and shit and callin out the success of the early okayartist albums. I just dont get it. What team does he play for?

one
17201, RE: Amen to that...n/m
Posted by emeyesi, Thu Apr-19-01 07:26 PM

Last time I checked the Spooks were a featured okayartist, I just thought I'd enlighten some people on the whole Ming Xia deal. Scuse me for contributing something with some substance to okayplayer.com. The whole thing about the okayartist's record sales was to show your dumb ass that more heads are checking for the Spooks from the jump then they were for the Roots, Common, Dilated, R.E. or the Jazzy's. If you down with "the team" then you better figure out who's on it. The Spooks opened up for Common all last year, and even some dates with the Roots here in the U.S....so they been down playa.

17202, RE: one more thing.......
Posted by emeyesi, Thu Apr-19-01 07:16 PM

---Thats the dumbest comment ive ever heard. First off, does album sales necessarily mean that they are a "dope group"? DMX goes multi platinum with every record, does that mean that hes the illest lyricist around? HELL NO. So fuck how many albums Spooks sold in Italy. Who cares? And does your statement imply that the early okayartists' albums were not tight albums? I dont know the stats off hand, but i cant imagine Do You Want More going platinum or anything like that, so does that mean that the album wasnt a straight up classic? If thats how u feel than i think you should hang around on the websites where the Spooks are hailed as the greatest hip hop act on the planet. Marinate on that one playa.

Damn man I guess I struck a nerve. Did the Spooks steal your lunch money or something? Why this vendetta against them? I'd almost think that you work for a record label that they dissed, but you don't seem smart enough to be employed at all. Lemme address the above idiotic reply you made.

1. I never said they were a dope group because of album sales, I said someone must be feeling them enough to go out an actually buy an album by them.

2. Obviously I dig all the okayartists (moron) i'm here aren't I?
That statement was made to let you know that heads are checking for the Spooks...around the world, and album sales are a reflection of that.

3. LOL Stop biting my slang fool!

---PS. I really dont see where your coming from in your defense of the Spooks. Do you have some sort of vested interest in them? Are you like their fuckin manager or something, or are you just one of their wack m.c.'s creeping the okay boards tryin to spread the word. I dont know, but you seem to be on their dick pretty damn hard.

4. Damn, dick riding huh...LOL If I was their manager I'd be quite busy right now seeing that they are blowing up and touring throughout Europe...but oh I forgot! You only care about what goes on here in the U.S.! Take that bug outta yo ass man!

17203, RE: one more thing.......
Posted by mech, Wed Apr-25-01 06:27 PM
hahahahahahah

17204, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by seventy_three, Tue Apr-17-01 03:26 PM
I'M FEELIN' THE WHOLE SPOOKS VIBE. THAT RESPONSE DID KLEAR UP THE WHOLE ISSUE ABOUT MING GOIN' SOLO.
17205, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by seventy_three, Wed Apr-18-01 04:03 PM
I DON'T THINK MING SHOULD GO SOLO RIGHT NOW. I DON'T THINK THAT ANY OF THEM SHOULD GO SOLO AT THIS TIME. YOU HAVE A MUCH BETTER CHANCE MAKIN' IT IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY, IF YOU'RE PART OF A GROUP.

LOOK AT THE:
SUPREMES- DIANA ROSS
SMOKEY ROBINSON AND THE MIRACLES- SMOKEY
A TRIBE CALLED QUEST- SHIT ALL OF 'EM
N.W.A.- ALL OF 'EM

Y'ALL GET WHERE I'M GOIN'?? FRICKEN, BEYONCE FROM DESTINY'S CHILD HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF MAKIN' IT AS A SOLO ARTIST LATER DOWN THE LINE BEKUZ SHE COMES FROM A GROUP. I'M PRETTY SURE THAT HER DADDY IS WORKIN' ON THAT. THEY JUST BIDING THEIR TIME.

AS FOR THE SPOOKS... THE MC'S ARE COMIN' WITH SOME TIGHT FLOWS. PRODUCTION AND ARRANGEMENTS ARE COOL. THEY ALL HAVE SOME DISTINCT VOICES. THE STATES AIN'T FEELIN' THEY SHIT KUZ THE SPOOKS GOT THEY SHIT ON ANOTHA LEVEL. THEY AIN'T GOTTA WORRY 'BOUT BLOWIN' UP IN THE STATES KUZ THEY MISSION IS TO HIJACK ALL OF PLANET EARTH. HA!HA! WHEN THEY DO BLOW UP IN THE STATES- PEEPS IS GONNA HAVE TO BACK UP. THEY DON'T NECCESARILY HAVE TO STILL BE A GROUP WHEN THEY BLOW UP HERE. THEY CAN ALL BE SOME SOLO ARTISTS AND BLOW UP... IT'LL ALL BE THE SAME SHIT KUZ THEY STILL GOING TO BE REPRESENTIN' "THE SPOOKS."
17206, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by REDeye, Tue Apr-17-01 06:27 PM
Last fall I was in Paris for a week and was checking out MTV Europe (don't ask me why - I don't have cable here). Saw Things I've Seen video about 20 times it seems like. That shit was huge over there.

Sometimes we Americans just have to realize we aren't the center of the universe.

That just proves my theory...Germans love David Hasselhoff. © Norm McDonald.

P.S. Them other dudes are wack though.

RED

"Instead of just sitting around, why
don't you kids go out and co-opt
some black culture?"
© a New Yorker cartoon
17207, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by guest, Fri Apr-20-01 10:38 AM
I went to Best Buy and bought the ablum when I first noticed them on featured artist, and heard some of their songs. I feel the ablum because of the different sound, I mean damn most of everyone coming out is starting to sound the same, it's nice to hear a change in sound sometime. It's whateva though, because my peoples can't even listen to it, but if they ride with me and I feel like popping the CD. (YOU KNOW THE REST) I feel everyone has a broad range of taste and if you can't stand it fine but don't get all IRATE, because someone does! But I do agree with the cat that I'm responding to, he posted and said something to effect of we are not the center of the planet, just because soemone is not hot in the US dosen't mean they are not hot period. But on the other hand everyone has an opinion.

17208, david hasselhof
Posted by epluribusunum, Wed Apr-18-01 07:02 AM
is huge in europe too. booker t's insecure....ming go solo!
17209, is that sadat?
Posted by fukmainstream, Wed Apr-18-01 11:11 AM
isnt sadat X in that group? is he in like EVERY group? why cant he pic an identity and STICK WITH IT?

~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
- Hectik One out the F.E.C

Fourth Element Crew comin' to a town near you

backpackers are people too - me

"lick you like a lizard when im slizzard/ or so-ber/ six million ways to fold ya/ like noah/ i get twos of of you and you get PRETTY D" - big boi

"i feel like selena/ the president of my fan club wants to kill me" - el-p

Do it up FUNKY - me (and a whole lotta other people)

ELLAVA PANTA RE MALAKA!!! PONTOS!!! KOMNIMA!!! (greeks know)
17210, RE: is that sadat?
Posted by emeyesi, Wed Apr-18-01 05:01 PM
LOL nah he's still a Nubian. But now thinking about it Joe Davis/Vengence of the Spooks has a very similar voice. LOL

17211, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by guest, Thu Apr-19-01 07:03 PM
Man, I gives a fuck what Germany thinks Hip Hop is, man. I barely gives a fuck about what 90% of the cats over here think is dope. Hip Hop is a Black American/Latino thing, and if you can't blaze in the states with the origonators of the culture, those who know the culture best, those to whom it's not an import or "exotic", then you can get a dick. If I came out with Skipple album and it blew up everywhere but England, how dope must I be? And while I'm ranting (and I AM ranting), how many of those European cats are REALLY just feeling her singing and not really the MCs? M'phukas here put up with the Wycelf and Pras to get to a Lauryn verse.
I saw the Spooks when they opened for Common at Avalon, and all everyone was talking about was how dope Ming was and how the rappers sounded like they were gargling piss. So, if they happy to blow up a world away from the culture, great for them, but they can get a dick sandwich with extra semen (except of course Ming, who is dopidelic and needs to drop the sucka emcees)

(PS- Ya'll see the BS MTV USA plays here. Why do you think it's different in other countries?)
17212, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by emeyesi, Thu Apr-19-01 07:31 PM
What about the Spooks attracts fools like you who think Hip Hop is a black/Latino thing and is only to be celebrated, embraced and done here in America? LOL I can't believe that came outta your mouth! Did you think about what you were "ranting" about before you wrote it? I didn't even want to reply to these stupid childish posts, but your's was just too funny!

17213, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Apr-19-01 09:44 PM
First off in response to the last comment u made against "Qthebuggid1"....he never said hip hop was to be "celebrated" by a black/latino audience (that would be u putting words into his mouth), he just said thats who originated the music. And i have no problem with that comment, nor am i offended by it (i am white). I think u just didnt like the comment because once again it was someone dissin the Spooks, and it seems that you cant really handle that. And you have yet to answer my question as to what is your vested interest in the spooks, and why the fuck are you putting up the address to their homepage? Thats some gay ass shit and i couldnt think of a bigger example of dick ridin' if i tried. Nobody needs to be enlightened with your spooks rumors, theories, etc. Post it in the lesson or some other forum, cause they aint an okayartist. PERIOD. just because they did some shows with a few artists, doesnt necessarily mean that they are down with them. Im sure you are aware of the politics, money, and contractual shit that is involved in the rap game. Not everyone does shows with their "buddies" and people that they have mutual respect for. And im not saying whether or not the roots, common, or any other okayartist is cool with them or not, cause i have no idea nor do you.

"The whole thing about the okayartist's record sales was to show your dumb ass that more heads are checking for the Spooks from the jump then they were for the Roots, Common, Dilated, R.E. or the Jazzy's. If you down with "the team" then you better figure out who's on it."

I understand what you were trying to prove, i just think it was a shitty fuckin example. Ill bring up my point again....DMX's first joint went fuckin quadruple platinum, does that mean that his shit was better than the roots first album? NO. And just because some heads are checkin for it (regardless of where their from) doesnt mean that its good. Shit, ive bought plenty of cd's that i figured out were wack but only afther i bought it. Just because i bought the cd, doesnt mean that i think that theyre their a tight group. Your analogy is terrible and to use that analogy those groups' official website is just plain stupid. Furthermore, at what point in any of my posts did i not know who the "team" was? What the fuck are you talking about? I think that your argument is so damn shitty that you need to make up shit to sound better. Really man, come on now.

"Damn man I guess I struck a nerve. Did the Spooks steal your lunch money or something? Why this vendetta against them? I'd almost think that you work for a record label that they dissed, but you don't seem smart enough to be employed at all."

First off, calling me stupid and telling me that i coulnt be employed at a record company is pretty low. To say that just because i dont agree with you and have a different opinion on a matter is a pretty ignorant move on your part. And as of now, more people in this post have been agreeing with me and not your dick ridin ass. No, the spooks never stole my lunch money, but when you give a shit ass analogy like the one previously mentioned, im gonna call you out on it. As far as me working for a record label that they dissed, thats another nice example of you taking my words and twisting them around. My question remains (which you still havent answered): What is your vested interest in the spooks, and why are you blatantly promoting them, and fronting like theyre okayartists? ANSWER ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

"LOL Stop biting my slang fool!"

WHAT? Again, youre gonna have to help me out on that one. What the fuck are you talking about. If it was about the "marinate on that one", then i guess you didnt pick up on the sarcasm thing. Oh well, i guess it was lost on you. The last thing i would want is your wack ass new england bullshit slang. Im perfectly happy with my NYC slang and accent, thank you.

"4. Damn, dick riding huh...LOL If I was their manager I'd be quite busy right now seeing that they are blowing up and touring throughout Europe...but oh I forgot! You only care about what goes on here in the U.S.! Take that bug outta yo ass man!"

Sounds like another shameless plug to me. Youre really good at those!!!!!! Dude, again, why do you continue to blow up the Spooks? Go do it somewhere else!!!!!!!!

I think the major points to my beef with you are:

1. NOBODY gives a fuck about their overseas sales or the love they get in other countries. NOBODY!!!!!
America is hip hop, bottom line. This is where it started, and this is where it stays. Sorry to say it, you will probably react to this, but as a whole, the american hip hop audience is much more knowledgeable than the audience in germany, france, or any other country. Thats just the way it is.

2. Stop your shameless promotion, and get off the spooks dicks. What the hell is wrong with you?

3. THE SPOOKS ARE NOT OKAYARTISTS. Their as much okayartists as Toshi Kubota and Avant are. I guarantee you that if i started throwing up posts in the okayartist section about Avant and how "My First Love" is the greatest hip hop piece of all time, then i would have a lot of angry okay heads jumpin down my throat.

4. And last but not least.....MY GRANDMOTHER HAS TIGHTER LYRICAL SKILLS THAN THE MC'S FROM THE SPOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!

one.

17214, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by shwin, Fri Apr-20-01 12:36 AM
damn dawg, u seem a little bitter and embroiled about a little thing such as the dopeness of a group. calm down brotha, u damn near trippin. yeah, the mc's isn't that great, but some of their shit isn't THAT bad......better than DMX
17215, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Apr-20-01 06:46 AM
true, better than dmx (but i liked DMX's first album better than any spooks joints), anyways, i was just tryin to make a point to that cat, im not tryin to diss the spooks or anything, theres plenty of worst shit out there, and i have no problem with anyone who digs there shit, its just that they aint okayartists and they aint on their level.

one.
17216, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by emeyesi, Fri Apr-20-01 09:09 AM
"Hip Hop is a Black American/Latino thing, and if you can't blaze in the states with the origonators of the culture, those who know the culture best, those to whom it's not an import or "exotic", then you can get a dick."

Funniest quote of 2001.

--Okay so what is my vested interest in the Spooks? Hmmm...lets just say I dig their music and leave it at that. Oh and you can go here and check out the fansite. http://www.geocities.com/spooksfans/

--I posted up the link to their website so heads could go there and get more info about them. Okayplayer.com brought them here as featured artists and did the same thing, I guess that makes them dickriders too, right?

--Last time I checked I could post about the Spooks on the okayartist board, take that beef up with Steve.

--Of course not everyone does shows with their "buddies" but do you honestly think that someone would be an opening act, or tour with an okayartist like Common if they didn't personally dig thier music? Com does and I'm sure the Roots do as well...how bout I ask em tonite while they are in Hartford so we can clear this up.

--It's not that you just don't like them, I can deal with that, some of my best friends and I have many different musical tastes, but for you to hate on them as hard as you do there has to be something they did to piss you off. Come clean man, did they leave you off the guestlist? Or was it that they didn't sign you a copy of the album? Just let it go man!

--I never said they were okayartists, featured artists maybe, but they haven't inked a deal with okayplayer...yet. Damn that would be funny cuz then I guess you'd have to give the status of being "elite" like you do the other okayartists.

"America is hip hop, bottom line. This is where it started, and this is where it stay...but as a whole, the american hip hop audience is much more knowledgeable than the audience in germany, france, or any other country. Thats just the way it is."
- 3XKrazy

Second Funniest quote of 2001

17217, RE: but what is wack
Posted by RealCd, Fri Apr-20-01 09:46 AM
I dont personally think that the spook mcs are wack in any sort of way. Hell, they are different, i know. The flows are different than i usually hear (yes, is listen to Quannum projects & Ninja Tune records stuff and other different types of hiphop, so um, "realheads" dont say anything knowing what is "elite"), but is that a crime? Hell no.

If hiphop doesnt change, if no one dares to take steps forward, we would be stuck in the old moment forever. For me, spooks are taking those steps, little ones or huge ones i dont know, but still they are trying to move forward.

Only spook MC i'm not into is Water Water. I quess. His style just doesnt sound good in my ear, but it's definetly not wack.

oh i'm tired..forgive me. dont know really what to say.

"My name aint Cher, yours aint Sonny, that means only love between us is money" - Promoe

17218, some might say backward n/m
Posted by LittleTortilla, Fri Apr-20-01 10:07 AM
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I tried to call Ms. Cleo but she doesn't take Charge-It-To-da-game credit cards. I thought she was keeping it real for the young people?
17219, RE: truth is the truth behind the truth
Posted by RealCd, Fri Apr-20-01 10:12 AM
nah, but who cares :)

let all flowers blossom
17220, RE: but what is wack
Posted by guest, Fri Apr-20-01 10:57 AM
word
17221, semantics
Posted by LittleTortilla, Fri Apr-20-01 10:05 AM
they might feel the way I do but it's all how you phrase this. people on this site are just a little harsh as they hide behind the keyboards :P
7yr old nephew calls from cali....
him: Aunty can you teach me Spanish?
me: sure what do you want to know?
him: how do you say lightbulb
me: uh I don't know
him: (huffs and puffs) I thought you said you knew everything!
me: I never said that
him: well I want to visit you in Boston
me: do you have any money?
him: sure I do
me: how much?
him: Well I get $2 a week for allowance
me: you will need a little more than that at least $200.
him: no problem....i'll just go to grandma's house a few times....it's easy to get money from her!

I tried to call Ms. Cleo but she doesn't take Charge-It-To-da-game credit cards. I thought she was keeping it real for the young people?
17222, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by guest, Fri Apr-20-01 11:03 AM
OKay,
Son is it that serious, see that's the problem everyone not giving a f!@#. True it was originated in the states by "OUR PEOPLE" me being Black and all. But let's face facts true Hip-Hop is appreciated more over Seas then it is here, were it was orginated. Cats over there will slap you in your face if you were to say BG is a better MC then Common, here you would have to argue the cat who said BG was better up and down. So even though it was originated here, question would be is it reprsented well. I mean true, fans of OKayPLayer throw they voice around, but let us be honest what precentage are we compared to those that made Nelly triple platinum, what precentage are we compared to the ones that gave Jay-Z his right to brag about the cash he got, what precentage are we compared to those that made DMX a platinum artist everytime he drops. I mean these same cats are question marks overseas but here in the US they are treated like gods. So really I think we need to start giving a fuck because we can claim it was born here, but the appreciation isn't here.
17223, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by guest, Fri Apr-20-01 11:11 AM
The girl is dope and the guys are a-ight but is an MC sounding different actually a bad MC?
17224, Dickriders Unite
Posted by LittleTortilla, Fri Apr-20-01 09:55 AM
Why is it that because you like someone/artist and you want to share your love/opinions about it people wanna get all up in arms? Stop getting all testy over nothing.

Emeyesi-Ok this is skrait comedy. Don't you have some kids to take care of??? :) Oh shit I guess i just need to back up off the dick. I was having fun riding on it but I guess it's just not healthy. If I keep up these antics I'll have to tell him that I'm not the dagger anymore, more like the warm oven/mouth. Ride or Die! BTW step off I will become the manager way before you do! This why I don't come to artist anymore.

7yr old nephew calls from cali....
him: Aunty can you teach me Spanish?
me: sure what do you want to know?
him: how do you say lightbulb
me: uh I don't know
him: (huffs and puffs) I thought you said you knew everything!
me: I never said that
him: well I want to visit you in Boston
me: do you have any money?
him: sure I do
me: how much?
him: Well I get $2 a week for allowance
me: you will need a little more than that at least $200.
him: no problem....i'll just go to grandma's house a few times....it's easy to get money from her!

17225, American hip-hop audience
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Apr-20-01 12:38 PM
maybe my comment about the American/European hip hop audience did come off a little strong, and maybe a little ignorant. Ive never been overseas, so i guess i really dont know, but i would have a hard time believing that the hip hop heads out in england (or substitute the foreign country of your choice) are more knowledgeable or discriminating than the ones in the US. And im sure a lot of headz out there are bumping jay-z and nelly and all of them because im sure they dominate over in mtv europe as well. And maybe their is a strong "conscious" (or whatever you wannna call it) fan base out there, but im sure its very small in comparison to the US. I cant imagine theyre being more true heads out in France than in the US. But, ive been wrong before and maybe i was wrong here, but i doubt it. And i find it hard to believe that my shit was the second funniest quote of the year. I wasnt really that out of line/wrong for saying it.

There is nothing wrong with being different (in reference to the skills of the spooks mc's), but i dont really understand how their mc's would be considered "different". In my opinion they are just bad. Wack, bad, poor, lacking skills, whatever negative description you want to throw in there, thats how i feel, but i respect the opinions of others.

And i dont have SUCH an enormous hatred for spooks, i just dont like them that much, and theyre mc's kind of move me the wrong way. I never met them and they never did anything to me and they could be cool as fuck for all i know. But i dont really care. I dig the r&b version of sweet revenge, but thats about it. And yeah it would be funny if they became an official okayartist, but it aint gonna happen, so dont hold your breath. And if by some chance they do, i think that would be pretty dissapointing. And just because they are okay certified doesnt necessarily make them "elite" in my opinion....im really not a big fan of dialated to be honest, so just because they are okay doesnt mean i automatically jump on the bandwagon. And what is wrong with calling an artist "elite". I never knew it was wrong to call the roots an elite group, meaning cream of the crop, one of the best acts around. Sorry if it was wrong to say that.

and nice job with another plug for their website. Thanks!!

one.

17226, RE: American hip-hop audience
Posted by RealCd, Fri Apr-20-01 11:05 PM
I think there are the same amount of trueheads in every country around the world.

USA aint the centre of the world
17227, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by S_Ali, Fri Apr-20-01 12:23 PM
I can understand their position. In the greater scope of things, they don't depend on us Americans for record sales. So it shouldn't matter that I couldn't get threw their whole album. I couldn't even tell it was 5 emcess I thought it was just about 2 or 3 wack cats. Wish them all the best, they are just wack in my humble opinion. However, the girl's voice is butter. I didn't even get to hear her on all the tracks because I coudn't get pass the other cats.

Peace,

Nobody can be you but you - Steve Arrington
17228, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by emeyesi, Fri Apr-20-01 07:20 PM
Thanks for being honest and not taking to the next level...like some posters here.

Funniest quotes of 2001:

"Hip Hop is a Black American/Latino thing, and if you can't blaze in the states with the origonators of the culture, those who know the culture best, those to whom it's not an import or "exotic", then you can get a dick." -QtheBuggid1

"America is hip hop, bottom line. This is where it started, and this is where it stay...but as a whole, the american hip hop audience is much more knowledgeable than the audience in germany, france, or any other country. Thats just the way it is."
- 3XKrazy

EMAIL ME at emeyesi@aol.com TO GET ON THE MAILING LIST.
17229, a question for u
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sat Apr-21-01 06:53 AM
>Thanks for being honest and not
>taking to the next level...like
>some posters here.

If thats referring to me, which im sure it is....why dont u explain to me how im not being honest and what exactly do u mean by taking it to the next level. I would really love to know.

Also, whats with you and your "funniest quotes of the year"? What exactly is so funny about them? Its fine to disagree, we all have our own opinions, but how could you not at least respect either comments/opinions? Is it that crazy to believe that America is the center of hip hop, and is that ignorant of me to take a stance in saying that I could give a fuck about the record sales overseas and to not care what the overseas heads are feelin? I dont think its that crazy to think that way, you may not agree, which is fine, but its unfair to declare my quote (or the other quote, which didnt belong to me) as the funniest/silliest/most ignorant quote of the year.

and i think its time to post the spooks website again. :-)

one.
17230, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by guest, Sat Apr-21-01 05:38 AM
I think people really get passionate about spooks on okayplayer because there has been a large build up of the spooks. Its like waiting a couple of years for an artist to produce their second album. All the mags and reviews extol their greatness. You go out and buy the album, and its pure garbage, not worth getting out of bed. I am not saying the spooks are garbage. I like Ming-xia's voice and would like to hear her more often. I am not a fan of the MCs Prakazrel style and lyrical content, but we all have different tastes.

The comment about how popular they are in other countries, is of little value. How many records they have sold in any country is an equally pointless statement. I do not want to comment on the virtues of the underground vs mass appeal pop music, but it was stated before but a lot of garbage artists sell incredible amounts of albums. Emeyesi, to many of the posters it seems like you are somehow affiliated with the group, because it is hard for many of us to understand that type of devotion to such a group. Do not take it personal. It interesting that the question of Ming-xia going solo only comes up in the US.

I have been to their website, I did not find it very useful. All I got was some BS about world domination or something to that effect. Nothing going beyond skin deep about who these people really are. Where they are from, how did they meet? Was this a "Making the Band" record company production or a group of friends who fell into music. Perhaps knowing where they are from will help in understanding their music from that cultures perspective. Like watching some Japanese animation, it helps sometimes to know how that culture sees a situation.

17231, RE: MING-XIA GOES SOLO!??!
Posted by emeyesi, Sat Apr-21-01 09:22 PM
I feel you on the lack of info on the site, it needs to be rebuilt in my opinon. Why all these questions about me and my affiliation\devotion with the group? Come on now this is okayplayer no one questions me about my devotion to the Roots, Common, D' etc. etc. (whom I do the same for) Yes I'll admit it I'm cool with them on a personal level, as are others who are okayplayers, BUT I was feeling them since day one. Same goes for other artists I've developed a personal relationship with, and maybe thats why I don't take kindly to heads knocking on any of these artists. I'll respect your opinion, just don't get on that whole "they suck a big fat harry cock" shit, thats just stupid...as are the quotes below. :)

Funniest quotes of 2001:

"Hip Hop is a Black American/Latino thing, and if you can't blaze in the states with the origonators of the culture, those who know the culture best, those to whom it's not an import or "exotic", then you can get a dick." -QtheBuggid1

- 3XKrazy

17232, Youre a straight bitch
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sun Apr-22-01 06:13 AM
Its mad wack of you to be quoting my shit in your sig, not only in this post, but in every fuckin post you respond to. Just because i didnt agree with most of your shit, didnt make me wanna go put up in every post on the site that "eyemesi is a fuckin herb". You just get to upset when someone argues with you or proves you wrong. The way i see it is that youre a little fuckin bitch. You basically admit to be on the spooks dicks, cause your cool with them and shit (which is what i and everyone else expected from the jump, but it took up until know for you to finally admit to) so anytime anything has anything negative to say about them, you throw a fit. Its quite obvious that a lot cats here think your "boys" are straight doo-doo. ACCEPT IT. And the fact that you can throw my quote around, which wasnt even that bad, but yet you cant even reply to my questions and rebuttals just proves that you cant hold your own in an argument with me. And thats kinda what this whole site is about. Arguing your point intelligently (and if you dont like my wording in that the spooks "suck a fat one", well thats too bad. If you think im wrong, prove me wrong. If you think my quote and that other cats quote is so stupid, then prove that it is. Basically you cant handle being wrong. You saw how just about 85% of the replies in this post are against you and your "homies" (who im sure probably couldnt give a fuck about youre gay ass) and you cant handle it.

one.

17233, RE: Youre a straight bitch
Posted by emeyesi, Sun Apr-22-01 05:37 PM
--Its mad wack of you to be quoting my shit in your sig, not only in this post, but in every fuckin post you respond to. Just because i didnt agree with most of your shit, didnt make me wanna go put up in every post on the site that "eyemesi is a fuckin herb".

Why you gotta cuss so much? You "gangsta" like that partna?

--You just get to upset when someone argues with you or proves you wrong.

Me upset? Nah man, I think you should take a look in the mirror.
Are we arguing or discussing? Oh and when was I proven wrong? Enlighten me.

The way i see it is that youre a little fuckin bitch.

--Wrong again...a "little fucking bitch" has a tittie attack when he's quoted in someone's sig.

--You basically admit to be on the spooks dicks, cause your cool with them and shit (which is what i and everyone else expected from the jump, but it took up until know for you to finally admit to) so anytime anything has anything negative to say about them, you throw a fit.

When did I throw this fit? I scrolled up and have yet to see my "emeyesi throws a fit" post.

--Its quite obvious that a lot cats here think your "boys" are straight doo-doo.

True!

--ACCEPT IT.

I have!

--And the fact that you can throw my quote around, which wasnt even that bad, but yet you cant even reply to my questions and rebuttals just proves that you cant hold your own in an argument with me.

Once again who said we're arguing? I believe I've answered all your questions, and if not reply and I'll hook you up! Of course I couldn't hold my own in an argument with you...you're a thug! I'd be all scared! I might catch a beat down! Lemme quote Snoop D.O. Double G. (ahem) "Bitch please."

--And thats kinda what this whole site is about.

I'm sure this is what Quest and Ang had in mind, and they look at this thread as a benchmark for what Okayplayer.com is all about.

--If you think my quote and that other cats quote is so stupid, then prove that it is.

I guess I'll have to take a poll (since u put so much weight into those) on okayplayer.com and we'll see just how silly your little quote is.

--Basically you cant handle being wrong.

Where was I wrong? Oh I know I'm sorry I didn't reply to your I.M.'s, it's just that I'm ususually really busy being on the Spooks dicks and all.

--You saw how just about 85% of the replies in this post are against you and your "homies" (who im sure probably couldnt give a fuck about youre gay ass) and you cant handle it.

OUCH! That really hurts man! LOL Thanks for the laughs!
If anyone else wants some read on...

Funniest quotes of 2001:

- 3XKrazy

17234, RE: Youre a straight bitch
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sun Apr-22-01 07:17 PM
hmmmmmmm, last time i checked, cursing did not imply that you were "gangsta", but maybe things are different up in New England, i dont know.

>--Wrong again...a "little fucking bitch" has
>a tittie attack when he's
>quoted in someone's sig.

A tittie attack is a little exaggerated, but yeah its mad annoying to have someone quoting your shit all around the boards, especially when he cant even prove that it was so "funny". As from what ive seen thus far, no one has hit you up with a reply to your sig with something to the effect of...."LOL, those quotes were so ignorant and stupid! Qthebuggid1 and 3xKrazy are straight fools who know nothing about hip hop!"......which im sure is what you were hoping for, but has yet to happen. I was trying to make this a discussion/debate, but youre the one who turned into an argument/beef. Like i said, posting my quote was mad gay.

>When did I throw this fit?
>I scrolled up and have
>yet to see my "emeyesi
>throws a fit" post.

Well, posting my shit was a start, along with the several remarks scattered throught this thread like, youre a "dumbass", "moron", telling me i couldnt get a job at a record company, etc.... nothing that harsh, but u obviously were affected in some way by what i said about your "buddies".

>I believe I've answered all
>your questions, and if not
>reply and I'll hook you
>up!

Well, you finally answered my biggest question, which was what your vested interest was in the group. Thank you for answering that question which has helped me figure out things a bit more, and prove me right on that one. Ive actually had a bunch of questions that werent answered, but i dont have the patience to find all of them (i think you mentioned something about me being dishonest?), but right now my main question is, why is my quote and that other cats quote so deserving of being shared with the rest of the okay world? Am i that ignorant to not care about the overseas?........ I think you can refer to post #40 to see some of my questions that you failed to answer.

>I couldn't hold my own in
>an argument with you...you're a
>thug! I'd be all
>scared! I might catch a
>beat down! Lemme quote Snoop
>D.O. Double G. (ahem) "Bitch
>please."

Whatever bro.

>I'm sure this is what Quest
>and Ang had in mind,
>and they look at this
>thread as a benchmark for
>what Okayplayer.com is all about.

Well, i dont see why not. A discussion about an okay featured artist, and the effects of hip hop around the globe. Sounds good to me. You had to make it into a beef (of course i take some responsibility too), but other than the cursing and stuff, i dont think that Quest and Ang would cringe while reading this thread.

>I guess I'll have to take
>a poll (since u put
>so much weight into those)
>on okayplayer.com and we'll see
>just how silly your little
>quote is.

Not that its gonna happen, but i would be totally down for a poll. I like to look at the fact that no one has replied to your sig and there hasnt even been an overwhelming response to it on this thread, as a rough way of judging that my quote wasnt that bad. But also, some people could take my quote out of context. I had originally said that the Spooks sucked, and than YOU answered back in saying that they werent wack because they get mad love overseas. In addition, you brought up their record sales and implied that the Spooks rival/exceed the talent/skills/quality of the okayartists and their early albums. You gave off the impression that just because they were pushin units overseas, they are automatically dope.

I still stand by comments. I could give a fuck what heads overseas are bobbin to. America is hip hop. Not Germany. Shit, i dont even care what my next door neighbor is listening to let alone peeps in Belgrade. You have to be your own judge of whats hot and whats wack. Just because someone is pushing units in a certain area, shouldnt sway your opinion.

And if my quote was that stupid, then go ahead and change my mind. Make me change my view on something. Im totally down for that. Thats what this board is all about. Learning more about hip hop and maybe changing your view on certain things because of conversations you have with hip hop fans all across the globe. Ive been around these boards for a few months now, and i know ive become a much more knowledgeable hip hop fan because of it. If youre right, then i will definitly admit it and big you up for it. Trying to mock me on all your posts wouldnt be the way to go if you wanna prove your point and win mine or other peoples respect on this site (not that i really know if youre out for "respect". But doing that shit iss only gonna piss me off, as you can see.

one.

17235, RE: Youre a straight bitch
Posted by emeyesi, Mon Apr-23-01 06:22 PM
---But doing that shit iss only gonna piss me off, as you can see.

Thats all I was aiming for man! No need to be all salty about the sig...it'll change, and I wasn't trying to make anyone respond to it...most heads on here don't even read sigs. I was basically using you to push this post up and keep it on the front page, but now that it's on page 2 I'll put it to rest.
Peace!

Funniest quotes of 2001:

- 3XKrazy

17236, RE: Youre a straight bitch
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Apr-23-01 06:41 PM
cool, but it would be even cooler of you to step up answer my question (or is there no answer to that too, just part of the whole publicity stunt?)

one.
17237, RE: Youre a straight bitch
Posted by emeyesi, Tue Apr-24-01 06:24 PM
Which question?

Funniest quotes of 2001:

- 3XKrazy

17238, RE: Youre a straight bitch
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Apr-25-01 09:45 AM
for the millionth time, WHAT IS SO FUNNY ABOUT MY QUOTE?.............if this is some ploy to keep having your post up about the Spooks, then youre even more of a fuckin bitch than i originally thought. I wish Street teamers and dick riders would stay the fuck off this site. Youre like that chick that says something about Musiq on every fuckin post. Get a fuckin grip.
17239, RE: Youre a straight bitch
Posted by emeyesi, Wed Apr-25-01 06:11 PM
They (the quotes) are funny to me because they are absurd (too me). I know you've heard someone say something you thought was so damn stupid or moronic that you just let out a big "BWAAAAHHHAAAAHHHAA!" Like if I was to say "The Spooks have the nicest MC's EVER!" You'd probably let out a big laugh. Now I don't think they ARE the nicest MC's ever, so don't go away from this thinking I'm on drugs. Book, Water, Joe D., and Hypno are all good MC's in my opinion. So there. I have yet to reach the "super-dickrider" status that you believe I'm at. Which brings up another question which I'll post somewhere else...How does one define dickriding?

Funniest quotes of 2001:

- 3XKrazy

17240, RE: Youre a straight bitch
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Apr-25-01 06:17 PM
they are absurd to you, yet you cant explain why. We're at the 50th fuckin post on this topic and you still cant answer/explain a question that i have asked you at least 10 times. Either you're really dense or like i said before, this is all part of your "master plan" for "Spooks world domination" or whatever bullshit it says on their website.