Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectPuff's wack, but Hype ain't
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=17094&mesg_id=17112
17112, Puff's wack, but Hype ain't
Posted by tREBLEFREE, Fri Apr-27-01 08:23 PM
I will admit that when Puff first hit the scene, I was a fan because of the work he did with Mary, Jodeci, Biggie, etc. I thought it was fly how the "Be Happy" Remix with Keith Murray rocked the same sample as Bitties In The BK Lounge (Part 3 - Maseo's Part). But I agree that the money has ruined him. I like another OK post-er here (I forgot who it was) thought it was a cardinal sin when he called himself "doing a remake" of The Message. And P.E. 2000...okay I won't say anything.

BUT, I strongly disagree with bignick...Hype Williams remains one of the best directors. Understand the business...when you see Hype do a "standard" video, it's usually for a new artist, or a returning artist trying to start or revive a sorry career. Kelis' video for Caught Out There...tight. Busta's video for Fire...blazin' (no pun intended...even though the song was wack). And even though Belly had sort of a weak script, it was well directed (except for the scene with DMX and Benjamin Chavis where you can SEE the camera).

gREG bASS (now known as datcatdeycalltREBLEFREE)
Former Questo-Endorsed Player Of The Week...

P.S. - I'm not trying to start no shit but I thought Puff was trying to get back at Mos & Kweli for "Childern's Story" when he made that WEAK remix for Total's Sittin' At Home using the beat from Definition. Any thoughts?

For the moment, the following is the greatest hook/rhyme/line ever written:

I hope you hear
Inside my voice of sorrow
And that it motivates you
To make a better tomorrow
This place is cruel
Nowhere could be much colder
If we don’t change
The world will soon be over…

-Stevie Wonder