Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectI feel Kwa on this one...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=17094&mesg_id=17106
17106, I feel Kwa on this one...
Posted by Solitayre, Fri Apr-27-01 12:03 PM
& I ain't gonna front like I was ALWAYS into undaground at the open mic joints held in New York (cuz I'm in NU Jerz), like at the classic WETLANDS and ANYWHERE the lyricist's lounge was held, (we talking my junior high to high school years 1989-beyond),
but the first time I actually heard of Puff was on the news during the time of, I think it was the tragic City College stomping incident in the early 90's, in which he was organizing some type of party. i was watching channel 4 NBC news and they were hating on him like he ACTUALLY INCITED PEOPLE TO RUN OUT RIOTING instead of hold some sort of neighborhood event.

He didn't start LARGE. He was an Uptown records INTERN. He prolly didn't even get paid for the street team type shit.

I read up on Puf. People need to look at his days in Howard U when he owned and operated a taxi service as a side hustle. He and Derrick "D-Dot" Angelettie wwere involved in this lil' rap group. I think he managed it or sumthin'. To put
it short THE BRUTHA PAID MANY YEARS OF DUES.

& YES he did get caught up in the lime & media hype.

Why not...

Not only did he stay on in the clubs from midnight to like 2 BUT he (along with Biggy) made the idea of rap entertainers actually getting paid (reimbursed for their services) instead of doin it for JUST love an adopted philosophy.

He DID change the game. Whether you want to admit or not.

PS You never heard me say it was for the better.........