Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectFinally!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=16694&mesg_id=16725
16725, Finally!
Posted by mke, Thu May-03-01 07:08 AM
After reading so many journal entries, I was wondering what all the strife was resulting in.

On to the track:

- Recognisable, good, Storch keys, which links the song to the Jazzy sound we're used to.

- Very nice background Oriental-sounding vocals. They're definitely not part of the Jazzy sound we're used to. Very good, although I was really surprised at first.

- The beat is bangin', as everyone said. "DJ Peter Parker" or J-Swift? Anyway, it was nice to also have the live instruments as well, as the guitar is very, very nice and discrete. I don't think I can really hear the cello on real audio. The bass is great too.

- Lyrics/singing are very good too. I just hope that the vocals are clearer on the CD version. They're virtually indecipherable on RA.

- Overall sound is very interesting, as it is somewhere between recognisable and off-kilter, which fits in perfectly with the ordinary family/dark side subject matter.

I obviously like this song a lot, and I hope that this is a kind of benchmark for the album, in that the other songs will also show some kind of departure from the "Once and Future" songs (not that I didn't like them).

AIM: mke1978

"L'actualité régionale: c'est vous qui la vivez, c'est nous qui en vivons"
In English:
"Local news: you live it, we live off it"
- Jules-Edouard Moustic, 20H20

"There's no blood in my body/It's liquid soul in my veins"
- Roots Manuva (check the fantastic album "Brand New Second Hand")