Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: what I was equating this to...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=16639&mesg_id=16656
16656, RE: what I was equating this to...
Posted by handle, Thu Apr-26-01 06:44 PM
The small venue is the reason I am WILLING to pay 35 for it. The bellyup holds between 500 and 600 people according to there box office. So at 600 people the box take equals $21,000.

Now, The Roots probably have 7 or more people at any time (Quest, Hub, Thought, Kamal, Scratch, Black Thought, Dice Raw, Big Spon.) Add the cost of instruments, the bus, the support personnel (sound man and manager, assistants, merchadise seller, video technicans, internet helpers, bus driver, gasoline, food, records to buy.)

So maybe each member is getting (if they get the WHOLE door, which is doubtful) they are making 1g a piece.

Add that into the fact that EVERY show I've seen them perfom past 1996 has been sold out and you'll see there is quite a demand.

As for your point that the Okayplayer.com Tour was a value, I AGREE. It's kind of like getting an INCREDIBLE deal on an item one time and then paying regualr price the next. But I remeber cats (not you) who were like "$35 just to see the Roots, Jazzies, Talib, Dice, Guru, Slum and Dead Prez is a ripoff."

I mean I remeber when the door for a Roots show was $10. Saw them back in 1995 at The Green Circle Bar for that price. And even thought I am hoping to get in to the show gratis (COME ON TINA :)) I have purchased 4 tickets for the show to take my friends.

I got MAD respect for you Fram, and I see your point, but if you only see The Roots once a year, I say this may be the show. Unless you can wait until say December. I know me and you and a host of others see them at least 4 times a year :)

But I'll take this $35 show or a $18 dollar Funkdoobiest and $17 dollar Del show later in the year.

And I've been unemployed for 9 months :)

-Tom