Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjecth20 says
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=16620&mesg_id=16625
16625, h20 says
Posted by h20molecule, Wed May-09-01 03:37 PM
>how
>is one small company gonna
>market 10-12 Beat Generation albums!?!
>

well they are called barely breaking even (BBE) music. and what do you mean by marketing. i don't think they are relying on the tradtional marketing means to get these records sold. Jay D and Pete both have huge underground followings (esp. Pete) and since they own their own studios its a symbiotic relationship with the label. I don' imagine there is a whole lot of that "label pays for studio time and artist hands over master's" type stuff going on at BBE. I would wager that the producers create music at their own pace and submit it to a label that gives them a chance to get their material out to fans without the label bull$hit. I think pete can sell over 200,000 in japan alone. bbe has been around for over a decade and they have been instrumental (pun intended) in keeping black music at the forefront of the british music scene. i.e. a bbe in europe is like a def jam release here...you are going to at least try to cop a listen based on the strength of reputation.

h20

-----------------------------------------------------
"Observe the ugly mess which most men make of their sex lives-and observe the mess of contradictions which they hold as their moral philosophy. One proceeds from the other. Love is our response to our highest values-and can be nothing else. Let a man corrupt his values and his view of existence, let him profess that love is not self-enjoyment, but self denial, that virtue consists, not of pride, but of pity or pain or weakness or sacrifice, that the noblest love is born, not of admiration, but of charity, not in response to values, but in response to flaws-and he will have cut himself in two. His body will not obey him, it will not respond, it will make him impotent toward the woman he professes to love and draw him to the lowest type of whore he can find. His body will always follow the ultimate logic of his deepest convictions; if he believes that flaws are values, he has damned existence as evil and only the evil will attact him. He has damned himself and he will feel that depravity is all he is worth enjoying. He has equated virtue with pain and he will feel that his body has vicious desires of its own which his mind cannot conquer, that sex is sin, that true love is a pure emotion of spirit. And then he will wonder why lover brings him nothing but boredom, and sex-nothing but shame." -taken from 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand