Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Label Guy,
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=16272&mesg_id=16316
16316, RE: Label Guy,
Posted by SirLau, Thu May-17-01 03:55 AM
Label guy, you seem like your torn between the bullshit of the industry, and being a fan of good hip-hop. But you seem like you have good enough intentions.

Now about your Redman analogy:

Don't you agree that the game has changed significantly since "Whut, the Album"? Because of consolidation of radio, the influence of consultants, isn't it alot easier for rap artists to get nationwide airplay (ie hits). What was your formula again? one hit=gold. Now since you have the benefit of pulling up soundscan and probably Billboard archives, can you tell me if Redman has ever had a song that hit close to Top 40 on the Billboard charts, like "The Light" did? Redman went platinum in a time when "Hip-Hop radio" had matured to the point where it could help truly send an artist to that level.

Now about Mos Def, once again you add credence to my point. Number one, he defied your rule, no hit=gold. Okay, so Common sold about 100K more, which is significant, but don't you think all those spins on radio and BET should have equated to more?

You never addressed the wackness of the Geto Heaven remix, so I'm assuming that you agree.

You also never addressed whether or not ?uestlove was happy with the effort MCA put forth in promoting TFA, maybe coolquest himself can address that.

But in the grand scheme of things, I'm glad the project did what it did, 'cause now the brother can live a little, and we can look forward to another album.

Keep doing your job brother!!!