Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: slow down toughguy....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=16272&mesg_id=16309
16309, RE: slow down toughguy....
Posted by label_guy, Wed May-16-01 10:46 AM
but mostly I think MCA
>did a poor job
>capitalizing on the momentum of
>"The Light".
Did it ever dawn on you that it took "the Light" to get to that level? If he didn't get to "the Light" he wouldn't have gone gold on NO label. And by the way you didn't touch my Redman analogy from earlier in the thread.
Look at the game, the power house label Interscope pushed the HELL out of the Black Eye Peas "hey DJ" single (MAJOR MTV) and their album but the bottom line is consumers wasn't feelin it. Sh*t they only sold 154,000 units with a major label push.

Just as
>they did when they didn't
>come correct with "The Roots"
>after the success of "You
>Got Me".
What was the obvious 2nd single RADIO cut from TFA? I guess my version of the album didn't have that BIG 2nd single that your copy has.

Put it like
>this, Mos Def probably sold
>more units than Common
Do your homework.....
LWFC=671,540 units scanned
BOBS=540,292

Dawg, look at the game......the hip-hop artists we like don't fit into the stereotypical mainstream sh*t that consumers buy. It takes hitz to get plaques for our underdog rap heroes.
I've stated this before:
no hits = no plaque
one hit = gold plaque
consecutive hits = platinum
w/Dr. Dre = platinum

I'm really pullin for okay hip-hop artists to have back to back monster hits (not with just us but with the bulk of the buying public) so we can get the platinum.

And I've been broke on the road with Common on the Best of the Underground tour in '94 (Common, Organized Konfusion, Beatnuts, Artifacts....I was road managing Org. Konf....believe me artists want to eat good just like the rest of us. The road is harder but at least cats can look at themselves in the mirror and be proud of their work. Just concentrate on connecting with the marketplace.
Now I'm done with this discussion. Back to work.

LG
Doing my job since 1991