Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjecti ma tell u
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=16041&mesg_id=16098
16098, i ma tell u
Posted by jeraldao, Fri May-18-01 09:01 AM
voodoo compared 2 is generation his genius but compared 2 the classics voodoo has flaws cuz d doesn't let go: i mean playa playa's groove (BIG UP ?UEST!)is my favorite but why d doesn't put a solo or at least 2 cuz the song is long. there's nothin wrong wit a 7 min song but u really have 2 fasten the pace or make the axman go wild!

all 8ters have 2 recognize d 's a hell of arranger (listen 2 the end send it on!)

i think d & ? r makin what prince could not do cuz it was 2 early 4 him: blending funk & hip hop. d & ? does it better than any1. (it's hard 4 me imaginin d w/out his soul bro ?uest)

they'll go further(after 3 records)than prince cuz d is willing 2 learn from every good musicians he meet & ahmir wit his wide knowledge is steering him on lotta directions ("water no get enemy")

D' next studio album: wish list

I know my advice is nothing worth cuz d can't make nothing musically-forced, but i'm a fan -not of the man but the artist, the music, lyrics and voice- so here's what i long for:

1. a d'angelo & the SOULTRONICS album
2. slow songs/delirious funky songs
3. live drums all over the record with ahmir taking care of it ("so we won't see defeat")
4. me'shell co-writing an edgy social song & bassist for most of the songs (don't be mad at me i love pino but me'shell is just a whim of mine!)
5. d's own social songs (but i still need those ass songs...)
6. some psychedelic guitars (jef lee johnson!!! Or vernon reid… They say lewis taylor is very good too !)
7. d should use a vocal guitar (like sly 'the funkiest of all time' stone on "don't call me nigger, whitey") since d first hit the scene at the apollo using old & new instruments
8. two instrumental jam sessions (intro & middle song or end)
9. a lot of solos (guitar, horns, keybs, drums, bass)
10. a saadiq & d song (always banging!!!)
11. a wah trumpet for roy hargrove ( like miles davis' on "on the corner") at least for one song
12. a song with 2 drummers or ahmir overdubbing (see "on the corner" again)
13. another song with the boys choir of harlem, some funkafied-gospel jawn: it would do for "ghetto children"
14. keep on making that sorcery with your vocal arrangements
16. only ONE duet: badu, bilal, angie stone (shut up girls! show love!!!), macy gray, or me'shell...
17. to bring back the real funk in them clubs: outkast

that's how i see it: an album where d produces, writes lyrics & music, sings, arranges, mixes but where a bunch of musicians have a lot of fun(k) & express themselves so girls will start (a lil bit) listening to his music. i think the audience is prepared to listen to new shit, musicians music (i understand it's hard & expensive gathering all these artists for an album but can't a nigga dream?)

"it's not soul but funk with a feeling" (?uestlove)

"We may never make it to the Promised Land, but I assure you we will keep our dignity every step of the way" (?uestlove)