Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectbasically...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=15908&mesg_id=15959
15959, basically...
Posted by guest, Wed Jun-06-01 07:51 AM
i think that the jazzies should just keep doing what they're doing. there music does have a mellow vibe to it that may not appeal to most radio-listeners, and it's true that a lot of the songs sound similar. however, if the jazzies are really putting their heart and soul into their music, and doing the best to utilize the talents god gave them, then who is anyone to tell them to switch up there catalog?

one thing to consider though is that even mercedes admitted that they were not able to present their full potential on the last record..and it looks as if they won't be able to on this forthcoming one either (if it even drops). so maybe everyone who is criticizing their music should just wait until they get the opportunity to record an album that is even up to their standards before they start nitpicking.

having said that, i still believe that regardless of the quality of the product, it will still be difficult for a group such as the jazzies to sell (especially on a label like mca). for one, their name is one that i discovered many people don't necessarily enjoy saying- like i can't see it rolling off the tongue of your average trlites. their music, regardless of the quality of their voices, songwriting, etc., lacks an edge- many executives look for that "thing" in a group where when you turn the record on, it just jumps out and grabs you- like i said, they lack this. and also, they may want to look into getting some different production. something more exciting and upbeat. also something that flips your ideal of jazzies music completely upside down (i.e., "penitentiary philosophy" for erykah). top it off with some cameos by some of the "masses-approved" artists like d'angelo, common, jill, macy, mos, etc...and they might get noticed.

now, i'm not saying that they should do any of the aforementioned, and i don't even think they should (i thought their album was solid), but if they really want to get noticed by a label and they don't feel that doing any of the previous things would compromise their artistry, they might want to go in those directions.

but of course, that's just my opinion. what's yours?

"...this industry 'ill make you lose intensity!" - common circa 2000