Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectwhy this thread is bullshit
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=15908&mesg_id=15949
15949, why this thread is bullshit
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Jun-01-01 01:16 PM
Look. Okay. They released an album. Sometimes everything comes out roses, and sometimes an album releases and only 1,750 people buy it. Sometimes a record label hypes a band. Sometimes they don't.

We can play this game of "what happened?" over and over. It took the Roots four studio albums to get where they are now (we all know a little less than half of the people on these boards didn't know about the roots before Things Fall Apart, and probably even less than that knew about them before Illadelph Halflife). Common's working on his fifth studio album. D'angelo is on a live album and a third studio (due out sometime at the turn of the century. Talib's also got two entire albums under his belt and a slew of guest spots to get his name out there.

I loved the album. Some people didn't. And a lot of people didn't get the chance to decide either way. But now they're on album #2.

I can list over a hundred different artists who put out amazing albums and didn't get nan love. Sheeit look at Lewis Taylor, he put out one of the tightest R&B albums of 2000 and you can't even find it in most record stores.

I just hate this garbage, this 'they didn't have a hit single, they didn't have enough personality.' They dropped a (IMO) good, solid album that unfortunately didn't do very well, now they're back to the drawing board. End of story.

The hell do y'all want? Tracey and Mercedes in thongs and fishnets singin' over a Rockwilder beat a la Lady Marmalade? A "Lady's Night" jawn with Da Brat and Foxy Brown? Or maybe they should go all out with color by number hair booty dancers and a yawnful Shake Ya Ass/I Jus Wanna Luv You/Dem Thangs Neptunes track?

What else? Jay-Z?

Love or hate what they do, but let the Jazzies be the Jazzies.

Later for this.

1Love,
BigPerm

LATER FOR YOU.

IN THE DECK:

Jeff Buckley - Grace @@@@1/2
Joni Mitchell - Both Sides now @@@@1/2
Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night @@@@
Blues Traveler - Straight on Til Mornin' @@@@
Johnny Guitar Watson - Bob Wow @@@@
Ruby - Salt Peter @@@
Tool - Lateralus @@@1/2
Pixies - Come on Pilgrim @@@@@
The Breeders - POD @@@1/2
Joni Mitchell - Dog Eat Dog (???)
Sons of Soul - @@1/2 but I haven't given it it's due yet...

can someone please tell me when all the great hip-hop albums are going to be released???