Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectIn my opinion
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=15908&mesg_id=15946
15946, In my opinion
Posted by QuincyJ, Fri Jun-01-01 09:16 AM
Well....I've been watching the Jazzies progress for a little while now. Ever since they were doing small shows back in LA. I was actually considering signing them once. Here's my small gift of wisdom as an elder. The biggest and most common mistake made by any artist is to think you have arrived before your time. Sure MCA are idiots. They have been for the past 20 years and they will continue to be for the next 20. Don't waste your time bickering n' bitching about what the record company could, could've, should or should've done for your career.
It seems there are a couple of other areas ya'll could address. When I saw you guys perform in LA on the Okay player ???? tour there were quite a few floors I noticed. To put it to you straight most of them were to do with one member of the group over the other. Sorry to point the finger but the light skinned one is who I’m talking about. First there is no use in having a good studio voice, which they both do, if you sound horrible on stage. I have always gone for soul first and performance second with all the artists that I work with. If the tone ain't there then being in tune or out of tune makes no matter. It was cool when there were four because you didn’t really hear her voice that often. The attractive dark young lady has all the soul but she needs a little work on her delivery and stage presence. Minor points in comparison. The other young lady would benifit greatly from some vocal coaching. No…seriously. I'm sure there's something she can do about that!!! And I apologize again but she could also use a dance instructor. What is it with the spinning round in circles?? One of them stands still, the other’s jumping all over stage like Mick Jagger.
Look, I don’t want it to seem like I’m just getting on them for nothing, but I’ve worked with artist with far less talent that have had more success and the sense to listen to criticism. In the end they are better performers. I love a few tracks on the album. Mostly the ones which don’t feature the girls with the thin high voice. A real throw back to the old production days! I say again, a little vocal coaching on the one with high thin white sounding voice would work wonders. Way too much vibrato. That only works if you’re in church. I suspect it’s the light skinned one again.
Anyway, take some advice from your fans, work hard and you can turn all this around!!!

Quincy