Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectWHAT THE JAZZIES ARE MISSING
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=15908
15908, WHAT THE JAZZIES ARE MISSING
Posted by DivineVersatile, Wed May-30-01 05:45 AM
My heart goes out to Mercedes and Tracey regarding their label woes...not good at all. I hate label execs...

But I'm not a follower, and I have to speak on "THE ONCE AND FUTURE" openly and honestly...

So, here's my opinion, as bogus as some may think it is...

1. The demographic for the JazzyFatNastees is relatively small. The people who feel this album are willing to actually search for it. There were no easily accessible singles. "The Wound" wasn't gonna do it, neither was "The Lie"...best chance was "UNCONVENTIONAL WAYS"...my fave track on the album.

2. Character: The people on this website have an intmimate portrait of Tracey and Mercedes because we read the journal entries, we attend the Black Lily, we've actually lived the struggle with them. However, presentation wise, the Jazzies are lacking. JILL SCOTT has character...one look at the "sistagirl" look she flashes compells you to pay attention. BILAL has character. MUSIQ SOULCHILD...though he comes in a distant third, carved a niche as far as his style. Tracey & Mercedes don't give me that vibe...I'm sorry

3. Quality: I expected more out of "ONCE AND FUTURE". There aren't too many songs I run to hear, outside of "UNCONVENTIONAL" and "RELATED TO ME"...everyone I put down on the album is like "Yeah, that was peace"...but nobody gives me the "YOOOO!!!!" I got when I put them on to Jilly or Bilal.

Translation: We all know MCA dropped the ball, they should really have put some effort behind the Jazzies...but the Jazzies are a decidedly difficult sale, 'specially with the state of commercial radio nowadays.

Maybe Indy is the way...I don't see a major doing them justice.

The Infamous DVSJ

1/4 of THE GENESIS EXPERIMENT

The album "ORIGIN UNKNOWN" is completed and coming soon!!!!
15909, RE: WHAT THE JAZZIES ARE MISSING
Posted by blue23, Wed May-30-01 05:53 AM

I bought the "Once and Future" on the strength of okayplayer and okayplayers. But found it to be below average and forgettable. I ended up giving it to my little bro about a weak later. Not a single track even worth throwing on the end of a mix tape somewhere. Saw them live and my opinion didn't change. I'm wondering how they got an album and Vinija Mojica still lays in waiting. Personally I'll take Musiq over them in a heartbeat.

One,
BTW
15910, well my opinions are slightly different.
Posted by Ailyha, Wed May-30-01 06:01 AM
unlike blue 23, i thought their album was refreshing and i still bump it. Even though i don't listen to two songs, I think that's good for an album. I just felt like number 4 and five should have been released on the radio, personally.
People just love injustice songs like number 5.
Maybe they are a hard sale, but if they had a label to really root for them, it wouldn't be so bad.
As far as the Jazzies live (I saw them at the New Orleans show), I was wondering how in the hell did they get an album also. That was before I bought the cd...their live voices sound a lil smurfy squirrely or maybe the sound was bad, but I think they have a cool studio voice.
peace
a

Please, just hurt my feelings a lil fuckin' more, okaybastard?

"All this racial idealism bothers me, because no one wants to keep it real! Wrote a poem about it, here it go..." - Spicy Mic Night 2001

If we had to depend on Black folks to support us, we'd starve to death - a paraphrase from mo' betta blues or some spike lee joint...

Anybody remember those black drat commercials?

Just call me Big Horny. Yeah, that's right!

All these mugmuckin' haters, got to shake dem off!

Serenity Now, Serenity Now! - Jerry Stiller
15911, RE: WHAT THE JAZZIES ARE MISSING
Posted by ASTRO, Wed May-30-01 06:01 AM
I don't disagree with you. I like the Jazzyfatnastees but I don't love them. "Once and the Future" doesn't have a single bad song. However too many of the songs sound too much alike. There is a certain bland taste I get when I listen to the entire album. I felt that way at Lovefest too. I heard new material that sounded just like old material.

Now I believe the Jazzy's can sing their butts off. Don't get me wrong there. But they need a break out song (maybe a few). A song that has some boom bap or funk or a good uptempo pace.

I would still buy a jazzy album because I prefer their talent and subject much better than most things on the radio.
15912, reality
Posted by atruhead, Wed May-30-01 06:10 AM
vs. contrived "easily accessible" songs and an image

(oh my gosh, am I starting to sound like a b*ckp*ck*er?)

they care about the music and not label nonsense

no the once and future didnt reinvent the wheel, but its an enjoyable listen

15913, yes, its enjoyable...
Posted by DivineVersatile, Wed May-30-01 06:19 AM
But its not a "DROP EVERYTHING, PUT ALL YA MONEY ON THE JAZZIES" ablum either. I said it before and I'll say it again, I was disappointed. I expected a lot more than I got...love the album, its refreshing...but its not really dymanmic, just well written.

The Infamous DVSJ

15914, They are supposed to be singers
Posted by nahymsa, Mon Jun-04-01 01:57 PM
but according to a good many of their FANS, they sound terrible live on a regular basis.

Now there are acts that can't sing but still sang..ya dig. Is that the Jazzies?
15915, RE: WHAT THE JAZZIES ARE MISSING
Posted by mcbadfeet, Wed May-30-01 06:13 AM
group is dope. album is dope. the only thing they don't have is mass appeal. and the odds are they aren't gonna get it. just like a million other dope groups in every genre of music that don't become superstars.

FROM THE GROUND UP- ROOTS 2nd CD- BUY NOW: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000073F6/qid=989953006/sr=1-1/202-6163542-0903066

OKAY...now i am recognizin that the choice to rhyme for self is urgin me to to put the wealth not quite as high upon the shelf/ for me wisdom is decisions made aside from what ya'll like/ so just clean up all of your ears/ these are my views and you will find that/we revolutionize it with the kick and the snare.....(c)thisghettovocalist

MY LATEST RAP ALIASES- mcbadfeet aka: the mayor goldie wilson of rap, aka big chris the juicebox, aka jesus jones retired messiah, aka the black jamie lawson of rap, aka thurgood killabitch the IV, aka brooklyn jackson from queens, aka homer pimpson, aka alex p. cheatin, aka benny ill, aka stank sinatra, aka michael j. rocks
15916, My question is...
Posted by Donn L, Wed May-30-01 07:10 AM
sup wit Scott Storch and nem? How 'bout gettin some of his hiphop tracks. They basically did once and the future and even though it is a good cd, thats all it is. Its like Iverson only scoring 20 really. For anyone else it woulda been great but b/c of the "crew" they run wit, I thought there woulda been more.

I really like the Jazzies and I'm gonna buy the new cd the day it drops, but as far as universal appeal...The Jazzies are lacking. Funk it up or something ladies, I dunno...I aint a artist.

Who is doing the production on the new cd anyway.
15917, RE: WHAT THE JAZZIES ARE MISSING
Posted by Scrapluv, Wed May-30-01 07:25 AM
I like the Jazzies and I bought the album before I even knew about Okayplayer. I only heard of them from reading the liner notes from The Roots albums and decided to take a chance. I found the album to be refreshing, not groundbreaking, but definitely a breath of fresh air. Maybe it's hard for them to find a market because it hard to categorize them, to put them in that commercially categorized box....but maybe that's why I like them... but WTF do I know?

Feel my "Notic" shit
http://members.blackplanet.com/babyfacedbandit

"Touch Dis, El-e-phant, Dyn-a-mite!!!" :)

"I know I'm twisted, but fuck it...I like it like dat" - Scrapluv

"One day, I WILL be featured, but for now...I'll just lay the chorus" - Scrapluv
15918, RE: WHAT THE JAZZIES ARE MISSING
Posted by guest, Wed May-30-01 07:27 AM
I thought I was the only one. When I said this on Black Voices like last year I damn near got lynched! The album is aiight, it's nice to listen to while I'm at work but other than that it's not something I like to listen to all the time.

P.S. I saw them live 2 times and they sound like hot sh!t. Especially the skinny light skinned one.
15919, whut u mean?
Posted by Donn L, Wed May-30-01 09:40 AM
Hot Sh!t being HOT SH!T or hot shit?
15920, RE: whut u mean?
Posted by guest, Thu May-31-01 09:28 AM
Oh my bad... I mean sh!t like stinky. They sound horrible live, especially the one I mentioned.
15921, RE: WHAT THE JAZZIES ARE MISSING
Posted by lexx3001, Wed May-30-01 07:49 AM
I would have to disagree with this post as well as with most replies to it. Personally, I loved the album. I liked it much much more than (gasp!) D'angelo's voodoo. MUCH more than that. I definatly dont think that they are lacking any character. If anything is lacking here, its marketing. But thats not necessarily a bad thing. The Jazzys are in my stereo all the time. Not many people know about them, I found out about them a while ago, when they did the chorus on Outcast's "JazzyBelle" in like 96 or so. Their album seems very personal, thus very honest, which I can't say for many other musicians. And also the fact that they are only known amongst certain "dedicated" OKP's makes it even more personal. Just gotta look at their music from a more subtle perspective. I exposed many of my friends to their music, and everyone loved it after being exposed to it. Its al in the way you approach it. I used to just like it, but now I got to the point where every one of the songs on the lp gets under my skin. Plus, seing them live helped ALOT too.
15922, better than vodoo???
Posted by Donn L, Wed May-30-01 09:39 AM
Now thats woah!
15923, RE: better than vodoo???
Posted by Scrapluv, Wed May-30-01 12:00 PM
>Now thats woah!

Now thats reaching :)

Feel my "Notic" shit

"One day, I WILL be featured, but for now...I'll just lay the chorus" - Scrapluv
15924, RE: better than vodoo???
Posted by lexx3001, Thu May-31-01 07:43 AM
Well, like I said, it's a personal thing. I feel their harmony and melodies much more than voodoo. I didn't feel that lp. I dunno, somehow it didnt do much for me. Jazzys, however, did. I didn't expect much from their lp, honestly, because I only heard them do hooks previous to that, but it surprised me nicely. And now I can't stop listening.
15925, RE: better than vodoo???
Posted by Scrapluv, Fri Jun-01-01 05:22 AM
You're right, the LP was a pleasant surprise and like I said before a breath of fresh air. I can't say that there is anyone that sound like The Jazzies, that's why they are going to make it, watch

Feel my "Notic" shit

15926, Make it to what?
Posted by nahymsa, Mon Jun-04-01 01:54 PM
15927, i did not know:
Posted by 360sunsumyea, Fri Jun-01-01 05:24 AM
>I found out about them a while ago, when they did the chorus on Outcast's "JazzyBelle" in like 96 or so.

heading directly to the liner notes.

**********THE SIG**********

"If you don't get it, why Outkast is so dope, then accept the fact that you may never understand why. And move on to a group that fits your likes and social situation better"
-bananaman

"the matrix is a system...that system is our enemy. when you're inside, when you look around, what do you see? businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters, the very minds of the people we are trying to save. until we do, these people are still a part of that sysytem, and that makes them our enemy. but you have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged...they are so helplessly dependent on the system, they will fight tooth and nail to protect it...anyone we haven't unplugged is potentially an agent. inside the matrix, they are everyone, and they are no one. we have survived by hiding from them and by running from them. but they are the gatekeepers. they are guarding all the doors, they are holding all the keys. which means that sooner or later, someone is going to have to fight them."
-morpheus
15928, RE: WHAT THE JAZZIES ARE MISSING
Posted by guest, Mon Jun-04-01 12:53 PM
So do you think you would like them if they blew up and sold like 2 mil?

>I would have to disagree with
>this post as well as
>with most replies to it.
>Personally, I loved the album.
>I liked it much much
>more than (gasp!) D'angelo's voodoo.
>MUCH more than that. I
>definatly dont think that they
>are lacking any character. If
>anything is lacking here, its
>marketing. But thats not necessarily
>a bad thing. The Jazzys
>are in my stereo all
>the time. Not many people
>know about them, I found
>out about them a while
>ago, when they did the
>chorus on Outcast's "JazzyBelle" in
>like 96 or so. Their
>album seems very personal, thus
>very honest, which I can't
>say for many other musicians.
>And also the fact that
>they are only known amongst
>certain "dedicated" OKP's makes it
>even more personal. Just gotta
>look at their music from
>a more subtle perspective. I
>exposed many of my friends
>to their music, and everyone
>loved it after being exposed
>to it. Its al in
>the way you approach it.
>I used to just like
>it, but now I got
>to the point where every
>one of the songs on
>the lp gets under my
>skin. Plus, seing them live
>helped ALOT too.

15929, RE: WHAT THE JAZZIES ARE MISSING
Posted by guest, Wed May-30-01 08:50 AM
I heard the album. I didnt and wouldnt but it. I thought it would be much better. I heard them sing, when they had like four members I think it was...They had a much richer sound. I think that they sound awful live. I really wanted to be a fan, I really did, I even suggested their album to all of my friends, but the only song that I like is Unconventional Ways.

"I wish that music could adopt me..."---Eric Sermon

"Open up your heart and grab it. Believe that you can have it. Take it. It's yours, it's yooourrs..."---Jill
Scott---Dreamin'

aim: Sassfro777
15930, there ain't enough cyberspace
Posted by fire, Wed May-30-01 08:51 AM

"i wish music could adopt me" - the e double

"pulp fiction? this forum must be dumb nigger storage." - mcbadfeet on niggas

keepers of the funk:
http://www.geocities.com/firefire100

15931, RE: WHAT THE JAZZIES ARE MISSING
Posted by guest, Wed May-30-01 09:40 AM
My best of things picked up their 3 song tape at The Studio and gave it to me. After hearing, "Hear Me" and "The Wound", I had to purchase the album. I truly dug/dig it. True, it didn't give me a strong backhand to the face like Jill's CD did, but it's still a good effort. It has a laid back type of vibe that I need to calm me down from time to time. I don't know if they can satisfy today's big music market because this industry may never get them, but I'll still be there.

I can't compare it to Jilly because no one can stand against her. She's in a class all her own. It don't get no better.
15932, They need better producers
Posted by dafriquan, Wed May-30-01 09:44 AM
Doc(from Esthero) or a touch of jazz or even some UK cats. but they need a sound that will make them stand out.
the last album was good but if it wasn't for their beautiful voices, the production was pretty bland. most of the songs don't "grab" you.

SIGNATURE STARTS YONDER
effasig4now...
:-)NE LOVE/N:-(LOVE
(THE C:PHICE IS Y:9URS)
The emoticon as 'O' symbol is a registered trademark of dafriquan.
No biting without written permission.

15933, RE: They need better producers
Posted by Shelly, Wed May-30-01 09:53 AM
I agree that they need "different" producers to give them a good blend . The last album was good, but it could have been better.

You are on the right path to a hot bottom.
15934, $ = better producers
Posted by allday, Thu May-31-01 04:48 PM
If they got an ill Jay Dee beat they might get some exposure. Unfortunately, J-Dilla probably costs nuff $.

I bet it's the same with the Soulq's, A Touch of Jazz, etc...

I'm sure there's tons of talented up n'comers, but the connection isn't there

What's a group to do???
15935, RE: WHAT THE JAZZIES ARE MISSING
Posted by guest, Wed May-30-01 10:00 AM
It's like you were reading my mind. I was just listening to the CD and I felt something is missing. One has a very stong voice and the other doesn't. I personally feel they need another voice to round out the groups sound. The less than strong voice sounds great in the background and blends well in harmony, but her voice is not strong enough to lead a song. I listen to the first 5 tracks but that's it. The rest of the songs are like nails on a chalkboard to me. I was truely dissapointed in the CD and when I saw them live I was not impressed at all.
15936, JAzzies ain't missing shit!!!
Posted by sundasill, Wed May-30-01 04:23 PM
Ohter artist and Jazzies have one thing not in common
The other artist are not on MCA!
Jazzies are a timemachine in front of our eyes
Their sound vocally reminds me of very young Motown
Martha and the Mandrells-early Supremes like that DooWoop
type vocal flow but these songbirds can sang
-They are not assisting with the sickness going on
It's obvious MCA want radio-sluts
Just cuase Naste is part of the groups name don't mean they are goint to be
I would rather have them be character-less if they are happy
Groups like this and Zhane' don't last becuase they are not song sluts...point blank
I can't speak on a womans persepctive in this industry becuase i'm not one,I got a damn good veiw from Dawn RObinson-ex Envouge,Ex-umm...LucyPearl.
When talented woman do not display sexually they are mistreated
When the message means something it gets out to the side,yet they scream we need answers.
W2hat kills me even more Is the lost sisterhood that's not returned when the Jazzies give so much to their sister community.
But tell you the truth if Mary j Blige opened her mouth and asked about the Jazzies,there would be a easier time for them.
The sales do speak for the existance of them playing with major rec.
What more can they do they gave to their fans,gave towards shows
Jazzies Give,give,give and give.
Look at the remake of Lady Marmalade that's how this industry sees women-hoes made up to grind to make dicks hard.
MCA is a very classy so called label,yet they have a classy R&B female duo yet MCA treat them financially like crackheads

MuahhhF#@ckahhs!!" (c)ReDmAN-MalPractice
*Yo what you talkin bout maaaaaaan?*
*barking*
YO! Dis FAH ALLL MY LIVE MUAHFUCKAHHHS!!!
*MUahfuckah*
YAAAAAhhOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
*yahooooo*
What the deal Muahfuckah!!
Chill Muahfukah!!
Lp Bangs all ins yah hood Muahfukah!!
My niggahz smack niggahz like Suge Muahfuckah!!
Label raw reminiscence like Wood Muahfuckah!!
Y'all muahfuckahs try tah block a thorough Muahfuckah!!
Hardshell chicken TacoBell Muahfuckah!!!!
Fuck you models!
You too frail Muahfucker!
I take the fat chick to pay the bail Muahfuckah!
I stay drunk and I don't drink Muahfuckah!
Type niggah to do it b4 he think Muahfuckah!
Bricks and Shaolin watch us link Muahfuckah!!
Stores ah run out paper and ink Muahfuckah!
Eye move before yah eyes can blink Muahfuckah!
Quick like O-Dawg shot the Chink Muaghfuckah!!!
White girls sweat me like Nsync Muahfuckah!!
Yah Mpc's outtah sync MuahFuckah!!
Eye say HE ah MUAHFUCKAH!!!!!!!!!!!!
EYE say SHE ah MUAHFUCKAH!!!!!!!!!!
YO!!
YO!!
EYE say WE dah MUAHFUCKAHS!!!!!!!!!
EYE say THEY dah MUAHFUCKAHS!!!!!!
BRICKCITY MUAHFUCKAHS!!!!!!!
BROOKNAM MUAHFUCKAHS!!!!!!!!
UPTOWN MUAHFUCKAHS!!!!!!!!
BOOGIEDOWN MUAHFUCKAHS!!!!!!
YO!
YO!
Back tah yall Muaghfuckahs wanna ball Muahfuckahs!
TV's all up in yah car Muahfuckahs!
At a club tryin tah buy the bar Muahfuckers!
Catch you for the jewels and the star Muahfuckers!!
Wanna battle dawg we can brawl Muahfuckah!!
Liddle Jamal handle th car Muahfuckah!!
My steel raw like Bradshaw Muahfuckah!!!
The pressure inject Dimerall Muahfuckah!!
Gold diggahs be tryin to trick Muahfuckahs!!!
Baby MaMa's be out to get Muahfuckahs!!
NYPD out tah split Muahfuckahs!!!!
Pump yah veins up for the fix Muahfuckah!!!
Sick Muahfuckahs!
Craz-zee Muahfuckahs!
Off and unplugged A-B-C Muahfuckahs!!
Got toys not from Kay-bee Muaghfuckahs!!
Burn ah hole in your AV's Muahfukah!!
Eye say HE ah MUAHFUCKAH!!!!!!!!!!!!
YO!!
YO!!
JER-ZEE MUAHFUCKKAHZ!!
YO!
WEST COAST MUAHFUCKAHS!!
YO!
YO!
AT-LANTAH MUAHFUCKAHZ!!
YO!
VEE-AYE MUAHFUCKAHZ!!Eye say HE ah MUAHFUCKAH!!!!!!!!!!!!
YO!!
YO!!
CHI-TOWN MUAHFUCKAHS!!!
DETROIT MUAHFUCKAHS!!
MIAMI MUAHFUCKAHS!!
CANADA MUAHFUCKAHS!!
AND WE OUT!!!!!
THIS FOR ALL MY LIVE MUAGHFUCKAHS OUT THERE!!!!!!
COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://hometown.aol.com/sundasill2/sundasill.html

15937, One Problem...
Posted by DivineVersatile, Thu May-31-01 07:11 AM
If I compared Zhane's album and "Once And Future"...Zhane would get it hands down.

I'd compare with Zhane's second album, though...because comparatively, that is the alum that Zhane got its voice...and if you take the last 6 songs on that album...it blows "ONCE AND FUTURE" away.

Zhane's album is in my case right now...the Jazzies is not.

The Infamous DVSJ

15938, And another thing...
Posted by DivineVersatile, Thu May-31-01 07:17 AM
Lauryn Hill has never showed her ass for the industry...
Neither has Jill Scott...
Neither has Erykah Badu...

Granted, they aren't on MCA...but that's not the point...

The point is that their albums were undeniably dope...not subtely refreshing like the Jazzies...

When you listen to those albums...you are getting more than just a singer...you are getting soul, pain....all that and more...

The Jazzies sing beautifully, are good writers...but they don't move me. That extra edge that gets you over isn't there.

I don't think they should be funded because they are good people...because I genuinely love both of them...

But if you aren't bringing the good to bring in the goods...you need to either adjust or step off...point blank.

The Infamous DVSJ

15939, that's selling out though
Posted by sundasill, Thu May-31-01 12:22 PM

i admit they do need to bring on some dance tracks,but fuck it
this industry isnt based on the pure soul ,so they can do a botty track and become hoochies.

http://hometown.aol.com/sundasill2/sundasill.html

15940, a dance record doesn't make you a sell out
Posted by nahymsa, Mon Jun-04-01 01:52 PM
since when...its a staple of black r&b and soul music.

Doo Wop rocked hip hop parties & that wasn't wasn't "booty" music, nor did Lauryn show ass. Though, personally, I feel their ain't shit wrong with glorifying the booty. that's why God blessed up with them.
15941, word..
Posted by mcbadfeet, Thu May-31-01 12:34 PM
the jazzies aint no Jade.

FROM THE GROUND UP- ROOTS 2nd CD- BUY NOW: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000073F6/qid=989953006/sr=1-1/202-6163542-0903066

OKAY...now i am recognizin that the choice to rhyme for self is urgin me to to put the wealth not quite as high upon the shelf/ for me wisdom is decisions made aside from what ya'll like/ so just clean up all of your ears/ these are my views and you will find that/we revolutionize it with the kick and the snare.....(c)thisghettovocalist

MY LATEST RAP ALIASES- mcbadfeet aka: the mayor goldie wilson of rap, aka big chris the juicebox, aka jesus jones retired messiah, aka the black jamie lawson of rap, aka thurgood killabitch the IV, aka brooklyn jackson from queens, aka homer pimpson, aka alex p. cheatin, aka benny ill, aka stank sinatra, aka michael j. rocks
15942, I´m still loving the hell outta that album!
Posted by Nicolay, Thu May-31-01 08:55 PM
Nicolay

http://www.nicolaymusic.nl
15943, dang, like that?
Posted by ummah1421, Thu May-31-01 10:11 PM
well I am spoiled by the live show, but I dig the cd too

the production is cool, it is just not an upbeat album

there show is a lil more upbeat, especially when they do the lie or something in the way

regardless, if mca would spend macy gray cheese on them, the'd be on oprah or lifetime

all i know is someone needs to learn how to play drums for them dames (dames is a good word i.e. neo-soul fly jawns) , where the hell is rodrick and chuck?
15944, what the Jazzies need to do...
Posted by jrocc, Fri Jun-01-01 07:57 AM
is just keep making the music that they like to make. how u gonna tell them they gotta change their style up cuz some execs don't like they're stuff? then u'd b complaining that they sold out just to get paid or b famous. they just need to b somewhere that they're music is appreciated and respected for being what it is.
15945, co-sign
Posted by Scrapluv, Fri Jun-01-01 09:22 AM
Feel my "Notic" shit

15946, In my opinion
Posted by QuincyJ, Fri Jun-01-01 09:16 AM
Well....I've been watching the Jazzies progress for a little while now. Ever since they were doing small shows back in LA. I was actually considering signing them once. Here's my small gift of wisdom as an elder. The biggest and most common mistake made by any artist is to think you have arrived before your time. Sure MCA are idiots. They have been for the past 20 years and they will continue to be for the next 20. Don't waste your time bickering n' bitching about what the record company could, could've, should or should've done for your career.
It seems there are a couple of other areas ya'll could address. When I saw you guys perform in LA on the Okay player ???? tour there were quite a few floors I noticed. To put it to you straight most of them were to do with one member of the group over the other. Sorry to point the finger but the light skinned one is who I’m talking about. First there is no use in having a good studio voice, which they both do, if you sound horrible on stage. I have always gone for soul first and performance second with all the artists that I work with. If the tone ain't there then being in tune or out of tune makes no matter. It was cool when there were four because you didn’t really hear her voice that often. The attractive dark young lady has all the soul but she needs a little work on her delivery and stage presence. Minor points in comparison. The other young lady would benifit greatly from some vocal coaching. No…seriously. I'm sure there's something she can do about that!!! And I apologize again but she could also use a dance instructor. What is it with the spinning round in circles?? One of them stands still, the other’s jumping all over stage like Mick Jagger.
Look, I don’t want it to seem like I’m just getting on them for nothing, but I’ve worked with artist with far less talent that have had more success and the sense to listen to criticism. In the end they are better performers. I love a few tracks on the album. Mostly the ones which don’t feature the girls with the thin high voice. A real throw back to the old production days! I say again, a little vocal coaching on the one with high thin white sounding voice would work wonders. Way too much vibrato. That only works if you’re in church. I suspect it’s the light skinned one again.
Anyway, take some advice from your fans, work hard and you can turn all this around!!!

Quincy

15947, someone shall read this....
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Fri Jun-01-01 03:31 PM
cause they need 'something'....

and i really feel then need to up their fan base by touring...wasn't it last year when we were trying to get them on Oprah?? how bout the oxygen network? Or doing a borders tour? Or coffee house tour? ANYTHING!! but one day a week at the same spot on the east coast, with sporadic spots elsewhere, is NOT putting in your dues..ala the roots, or talib, or common. I've seen Talib on every little 'hip hop' tour for the past 3 years.

Much love,
Kyle

go vote for me, cause i'm extreme and deserve to be on TV..oh yeah, and i'll buy tara something too :7

http://bluetorch.tv/host/voteforme.asp?id=41472

let ang be a rock star! no more moderating for her!

Need Posting help...Go here----->http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

Want that incredible deep post of yours or your friends archived, email me through the boards...Or use the handy private message button
15948, RE: WHAT THE JAZZIES ARE MISSING
Posted by Grand_Royal, Fri Jun-01-01 12:41 PM
I agree with everything said in the initial post. They are basically backup singers, I copped the album, been checkin for them for awhile, but I wasn't impressed.

"Who colt de game" - it implies that someone made a wrong move, deliberately,
to change the outcome of the plan. So who colt the game? Babylon! In other
words... to prevent the Dread from succeeding, babylon colt the game, made a
"wrong" move in regards to the dread
15949, why this thread is bullshit
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Jun-01-01 01:16 PM
Look. Okay. They released an album. Sometimes everything comes out roses, and sometimes an album releases and only 1,750 people buy it. Sometimes a record label hypes a band. Sometimes they don't.

We can play this game of "what happened?" over and over. It took the Roots four studio albums to get where they are now (we all know a little less than half of the people on these boards didn't know about the roots before Things Fall Apart, and probably even less than that knew about them before Illadelph Halflife). Common's working on his fifth studio album. D'angelo is on a live album and a third studio (due out sometime at the turn of the century. Talib's also got two entire albums under his belt and a slew of guest spots to get his name out there.

I loved the album. Some people didn't. And a lot of people didn't get the chance to decide either way. But now they're on album #2.

I can list over a hundred different artists who put out amazing albums and didn't get nan love. Sheeit look at Lewis Taylor, he put out one of the tightest R&B albums of 2000 and you can't even find it in most record stores.

I just hate this garbage, this 'they didn't have a hit single, they didn't have enough personality.' They dropped a (IMO) good, solid album that unfortunately didn't do very well, now they're back to the drawing board. End of story.

The hell do y'all want? Tracey and Mercedes in thongs and fishnets singin' over a Rockwilder beat a la Lady Marmalade? A "Lady's Night" jawn with Da Brat and Foxy Brown? Or maybe they should go all out with color by number hair booty dancers and a yawnful Shake Ya Ass/I Jus Wanna Luv You/Dem Thangs Neptunes track?

What else? Jay-Z?

Love or hate what they do, but let the Jazzies be the Jazzies.

Later for this.

1Love,
BigPerm

LATER FOR YOU.

IN THE DECK:

Jeff Buckley - Grace @@@@1/2
Joni Mitchell - Both Sides now @@@@1/2
Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night @@@@
Blues Traveler - Straight on Til Mornin' @@@@
Johnny Guitar Watson - Bob Wow @@@@
Ruby - Salt Peter @@@
Tool - Lateralus @@@1/2
Pixies - Come on Pilgrim @@@@@
The Breeders - POD @@@1/2
Joni Mitchell - Dog Eat Dog (???)
Sons of Soul - @@1/2 but I haven't given it it's due yet...

can someone please tell me when all the great hip-hop albums are going to be released???
15950, cosign :)
Posted by MeDiNaStaR, Fri Jun-01-01 02:51 PM
****************sig******************

ownplace:

www.members.blackplanet.com/soulartic

Good mourning, good afternoon, good nightWhat have you done with
your life? -Kweli

I make the kids wanna Rah like Afu shouts to Mecca cause the planets mad digable-Bahamadi

Can't achieve a garden if you never water your crops- Gift of Gab

"You must first recognize the need to change. This does not necessarily imply that there is anything wrong with the way you are. It means you are willing to do better and be better at whatever it is you do." IYANLA VANZANT

Please SUPPORT:

WWW.BLUMAG.COM

15951, RE: why this thread is bullshit
Posted by LeftMarxDaSpot, Fri Jun-01-01 04:15 PM
Clapping in agreeance...and throwing in a Carajo!!!

"It is a not a matter of wishing success to the victim of aggression, but sharing his fate; one must accompany him to his death or to victory" Che Guevara
15952, Co-Sign
Posted by Scrapluv, Fri Jun-01-01 05:05 PM

>a yawnful Shake Ya Ass/I
>Jus Wanna Luv You/Dem Thangs
>Neptunes track?
>
>
You forgot about wack-ass "Wait a Minute"

Feel my "Notic" shit

15953, RE: why this thread is bullshit
Posted by SPADE, Fri Jun-01-01 06:19 PM
I don't think this post is bullshit. I think for the most part it has been constructive criticism. There are only like 4 post that are total slams that are uncalled for.
15954, i just listened to the jazzies for the 1st time......
Posted by funkfaker, Fri Jun-01-01 07:17 PM
i just checked out their samples on the artist site for the first time.

i think if they tighetend their ish up a bit, they would have no prob selling records and having success commercially without compromising their art.

the tunes i heard need a little more edge, a little bit more of an aggressive/tight groove with some more live musicians. the beginnign to 'the lies' is da bomb, i wish they had kept that groove more throughout the song making it a little bit more coherent of a groove.

IMO they got a phat vibe, they just need a little more producing and maybe something a long the lines of the motown charm school to tighten up the vocals for the recordings/live shows and get a little something in the dance department to put on a bit of a show.

word love, tommy
15955, RE: i just listened to the jazzies for the 1st time......
Posted by GQ, Mon Jun-04-01 11:58 AM
up......
15956, RE: WHAT THE JAZZIES ARE MISSING
Posted by guest, Mon Jun-04-01 12:50 PM
I must admit, I work for a music magazine publisher so I got a copy of the Jazzies album right when it was being released. As a fan of okayplayer I have usually gone and bought the artists albums upon release even though I don't have too. I've read the reviews and unfortunately the album really wasn't moving me.

The album started off strong, but finished reallly slow and unisprired. I played it at get togethers, for my wife, and other people who I knew digged the neo-soul scene and the response is pretty consistent. Strong start, but very long and slow after track 4. Like DivineVersatile I caught the Okayplayer tour as well and wasn't overly impressed. I have friends who work at MCA and I'll be honest, their R&B roster is pretty weak, People were walking out of Jesse Powell's album release party when he started performing moaning all the way. Chante Moore got naked in her video and resorted to calling dudes Niggas ion her songs and didn't sell and Rahsaan Patterson is always going to have a problem getting over due to his sexuality and when I tell people to peep The Once and The Future they go the Jazzywha or Jazzywho?

Not to say that I'm not looking towards the followup album especially after knowing that the Jazzies ave been working with the Roots and the Soulaquarians, but it is going to take a lot to get people interested in their sound. Amel Larrieux had the same problem. Black music doesn't step out a lot, and with the exception of a few (Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, D'Angelo, Maxwell) most "neo-soul" alternative joints don't get a lot of airplay (Kina, Rahsaan Patterson, N'Dambi).

My general sentiment to Mercedes is this...Do your music for you and not for the loot. If you truly love music go there first and let the chips fall where they may. I truly belive your budget getting cut had to do with Chante Moore's album flopping and the fact that the Roots are on hiatus isn't helping either. If the new album is dope and the talent is there then another label will pick you up and pay the overage and this will all be distant memories.

You can't fault people for saying your stuff is whacked tho, sometimes it is what it is. The fact that you guys make excuses for your music in your journals signifies that you do not feel it is up to quality. Why should you hate on the masses for feeling the same way?

Look at the Alkaholiks. They have never sold more than 200,000 units yet they are on their 4th album. Keep your heads up!

15957, WHAT ARE THE JAZZIES LOOKING FOR??
Posted by nahymsa, Mon Jun-04-01 12:51 PM
I have a copy of the album. To me its alright...nothing I'd put on my "essential for any music collection" list but I see that some people just love it.

What does that mean? Maybe they aren't & won't ever be a popular group, ie. the type of artists with songs that catch the ear of a wide spectrum of people. The implication seems to be that IF they had the proper marketing, the proper budget, the proper radio access, tons of exposure, that the world would love them. This theory doesn't consider the numerous acts that receive a bunch of marketing, tons of money, and radio access but still don't sell well, still don't catch the ear of the masses, never get the following of a JayZ, Faith Hill, or Alanis Morrisette.

What exactly are the Jazzies looking for...that would make them feel like successful accomplished recording artists?

Considering all the talk about doing music for the music, the focus of these Jazzies convos are pretty interesting.
15958, RE: WHAT ARE THE JAZZIES LOOKING FOR??
Posted by dsplace, Tue Jun-05-01 12:27 PM
Some people loved it some didn't feel it, but the consensus seems to be that this was a solid, if unspectacular effort. I personally liked the CD and still play it a lot. I let the music critic at the paper I work for hear it because I wanted to hip him to them before the next CD comes out. He said he liked most of the album and even recorded tracks 2 through 5 for a friend. His main criticsm is that the tracks sounded too alike. The upshot is that their lyrcial and subject matter content is strong, and the basic melodies and beats were solid. All I'm saying is that there's some good stuff there and with the right production they could be a force. But when I heard the CD, I thought they made a conscious effort to make a serious albulm and that the bare bones way they came at you musically was an attempt to make people listen to the words.
15959, basically...
Posted by guest, Wed Jun-06-01 07:51 AM
i think that the jazzies should just keep doing what they're doing. there music does have a mellow vibe to it that may not appeal to most radio-listeners, and it's true that a lot of the songs sound similar. however, if the jazzies are really putting their heart and soul into their music, and doing the best to utilize the talents god gave them, then who is anyone to tell them to switch up there catalog?

one thing to consider though is that even mercedes admitted that they were not able to present their full potential on the last record..and it looks as if they won't be able to on this forthcoming one either (if it even drops). so maybe everyone who is criticizing their music should just wait until they get the opportunity to record an album that is even up to their standards before they start nitpicking.

having said that, i still believe that regardless of the quality of the product, it will still be difficult for a group such as the jazzies to sell (especially on a label like mca). for one, their name is one that i discovered many people don't necessarily enjoy saying- like i can't see it rolling off the tongue of your average trlites. their music, regardless of the quality of their voices, songwriting, etc., lacks an edge- many executives look for that "thing" in a group where when you turn the record on, it just jumps out and grabs you- like i said, they lack this. and also, they may want to look into getting some different production. something more exciting and upbeat. also something that flips your ideal of jazzies music completely upside down (i.e., "penitentiary philosophy" for erykah). top it off with some cameos by some of the "masses-approved" artists like d'angelo, common, jill, macy, mos, etc...and they might get noticed.

now, i'm not saying that they should do any of the aforementioned, and i don't even think they should (i thought their album was solid), but if they really want to get noticed by a label and they don't feel that doing any of the previous things would compromise their artistry, they might want to go in those directions.

but of course, that's just my opinion. what's yours?

"...this industry 'ill make you lose intensity!" - common circa 2000
15960, RE: basically...
Posted by ASTRO, Wed Jun-06-01 08:02 AM
<<one thing to consider though is that even mercedes admitted that they were not able to present their full potential on the last record..and it looks as if they won't be able to on this forthcoming one either (if it even drops). so maybe everyone who is criticizing their music should just wait until they get the opportunity to record an album that is even up to their standards before they start nitpicking.>>

Is any artist able to present their full potential on an album or make an album up their standards? We would never discuss D'Angelo if that was the case.

If anything an artist should always have standards that are just out of reach. However, if I brought it I'm going to give opinions on any album. It isn't nitpicking but just stating opinions and oberservations.

15961, yeah...
Posted by guest, Wed Jun-06-01 10:17 AM
and i see what you're saying. nobody can really do what they truly want to do- this is an imperfect world so why would music be permitted to be perfect?

but voodoo this is not. i think it's one thing for an artist to get a substantial budget and the privelege of recording in the studio where jimi once slept and a wholly other thing for a group to get their budget clipped while they're halfway through the album and have to be forced to scrounge on some last minute ish.

maybe i'm biased because i happen to be a muscician.

sheeit, if i got signed to mca and they pulled the plug on my studio advance and i was forced to record the last album in less than desirable conditions, i would mos def be seriously not trying to hear people complaining about my record.

fans: "your album sucked!"

me: "duh! who you tellin'!? i made it!!"

the point is, they did not get treated fairly in this situation and ?uest already broke down the math which determines how "quality" a record will sound. the jazzies did not get these benefits, and just maybe we should reserve complaining until we here what the jazzies REALLY sound like.