Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectin case noone has checked the tour diary
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=15496&mesg_id=15517
15517, in case noone has checked the tour diary
Posted by Brandard, Sat Jul-21-01 03:02 AM
jersey
from ?uest on Jul 21 - 03:04 AM
highlights: well today i finally got to the bottom of the "in theory" thing (it was eating me up after all spirit) so i asked his assistant (she asked me if i liked mob's show) and i let her know how surprised i was to even be here in the first place (in light of that remark). she instantly knew what i was talking about.

she explained that mob is such a busta fan (can't fault him there) that he told bus he would be on some ride or die shit lose or not he would let the world know that his hero is bus a bus.

i told her that reguarless, you don't rain on no nigga's parade like that.....that shit is forever, and it's taking everything in me to hold back. she explained that it was nothing personal and he "is just like that".

soon enough i understood. he wanted bus to get props (well, not that i'm not deserving of those same props, but bus has been in the game for a minute) and if i were up there and slum was nominated i'd do the same thing.

she said initially he was gonna say "busta" win or not.

i said. we woulda fucked him up for that one.

she was relieved he renigged that idea.

the lowlights: waiting for tiny to get her beyoncismskizm thing done (i'm sure she'll tell you)

the show: no nelly! (boo hoo!!!!) instead we had tom tom club open (yes they did "genius of love") i also watched outkast's show. mixed results. time just called their show "the best live show ever" while yes they do have energy. and hits (although the 20something white crowd mainly responded to stankonihits) i was puzzled at what i saw was wasted potential:

-why have a guitarist and bassist if they are not turned on? (95% of that show came from the turntable, while it appeared they were playing live, all they did was....well? dare i say it? synch?)

-the same for the singers, you couldn't hear a damn thing over the 808. only high hat and bass drum. that's all.

if i was them?

i'd: cue the show from a roland machine with 8 tracks, that way i could control the drums, bass, keys, et al. what they did was put full instrumentals in the instant playback machine which on a loud speaker sounds like shit.

i for one knew all the lyrics, but what if i didn't know em?

i mean they rocked it (moved alot, had dancers, lights, full set, did audience participation every 4 seconds)

...but they need a soundman, and for god's sake get a band. not two musicians and half step! get two synth programmers, get a drum machine programmer. get 2 guitarists, and a bassist. get horns for "sportyodie..." i mean for god's sake if mofo's are going to bestow the "best live show ever" title from my grasp. at least turn up the damn guitarist!

moby won cause he had an amazing as fuck light show. i now will make lights just as much a concern as the sound.

hell who knows? maybe i'll buy some costumes as well and really win....