Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: ???
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=15248&mesg_id=15320
15320, RE: ???
Posted by tsalagi215, Thu Aug-09-01 03:01 PM
my whole thing is about the Nigger/Nigga word is this.
I thank god for the people in my life. Grant it I grew up "ghetto fab" in southwest Philly, but my parents made sure that I didnt have the ghetto mental. Personally I think that the "N" word is ghetto and it is ignorant. My grandmother is a Ocanaluftee Tsalagi from Lenore North Carolina. She grew up in the heart of the south and she knew racisim and the many things that came along with being what she was or what the white man classified her as a "straight haired nigger". Her being a straight hair nigger almost cost her her life and it also subjected her to many other horrible things. She never forgot the name and she made sure that her children didn't forget and in turn my momma never let me forget where the word came from. Looking at newspaper clippings of black people who strived not be labeled as niggers getting beaten or engulfed by firehosing all because they wanted to break the label and try to stand tall as a people. These things I don't forget. I am proud of the fact that I can speak my native tsalagi, as well as cantonese. It's with that knowledge, that I can think of more positive things to call my African American brothers and sisters. I'm not saying you have to learn other languages to feel better or to think of a better word than nigger... my brother or my sister is just fine... I can't judge you if you call me nigga, but in the same token I can't love ya either.

Tohiya (be in good health always people)