Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Okayartists and the "N" word...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=15248&mesg_id=15294
15294, RE: Okayartists and the "N" word...
Posted by Question, Wed Aug-08-01 10:07 AM
>I'm sure this topic has come
>up before. But what's
>the deal with the conscious
>Okayartists and their use of
>the "N" word.
>Common uses it frequently, "...nor do
>I call every nigga my
>brother" (Universe at War.)
> Kweli uses it(Love Language).

Why do you have such a problem with that? And what MC do you know that DOESN'T use it (besides a white MC). I feel like it's overused.. yes, but the word (in todays time) has been redefined as a sign of endearment. So Comm and Kweli using it is obviously only in refrence to specific black people (most likely males).

> Mos Def uses it
>(Pick a song off BOBS).
> Erykah Badu uses it
>(Booty, Tyrone).

Neither of these people are Okayartists, and again, it's obvious that they are trying to relate to the black community (not saying everybody in the black community uses it or likes it), but I see their use of it almost as a "brother/sisterhood", whether some people find it degrading or not.

I won't
>count Black Thought since there's
>an neverending debate on whether
>or not he's a conscious
>rapper, but we know he
>uses it.

I've never heard ANY Okayartist call themselves conscious. If anything, Black Thought is a battle MC with songs about love and corruption on occasion. That doesn't make him "conscious" or perfect.

>Surely these brothers and sister are
>well read enough to know
>the historical coonotation of this
>word. While I won't
>debate that these cats definitely
>come with a positive message,
>the message is also tainted
>with negativity by using the
>"N" word not to mention
>Com's frequent use of the
>"b" word.

Well I personally don't like Comm's use of the "B" word, so I can't disagree with everything there. It all depends on perspective, really. A lot of cats and girls in the streets refer to themselves as "Bs" and "Ns" as a "brother/sisterhood" (like I previously said). I'm sure they're aware that it's not the most positive thing to call ones self, but I'm also sure it makes them feel more related to each other.. as my sister has greeted me with the "N" word on different occasions.

And no
>I'm not referring to the
>satire in "A Film Called
>Pimp". Check his resume.

I won't even TRY to defend that song.

>Comments?

Well like I said, it's all about perspective. If you feel like it's degrading.. then state your point to black people about how you feel. And for the record, "Nigger" and "Nigga" are generally seen as two different words, with two different definitions. Right now I'm a bit crossed as to whether it's degrading or not. I certainly don't use the word on a constant basis, but again.. it's just the 'relative' factor of it.. like when cats were calling each other "cousin" or "cuz" a few years back.

This is something to think about though.. mos def'.

Peace
"Two columns for who is, and who ain't niggas" -Mos Def (oops).