Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectI'm about this close to being in an interacial relationship
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=14977&mesg_id=15022
15022, I'm about this close to being in an interacial relationship
Posted by guest, Tue Jan-18-00 09:30 PM
So let me put my head on the chopping block for this one. <P>'Cause, you know, it's just a movie. Lighten up. Lighten up? Whatever, one purpose of art is to tell the TRUTH without necessarily using FACT. But still, for those of you who can't fathom that, I offer myself.<P>Now there are many parts to this issue, I feel it from many sides. I think about it hard. I'm walking up to work today and a friend of mine is leaving. She sees me and says, "you look like a person with a lot on your mind." I step back from my thought, look at myself objectively as tell her, "I'm thinking about racism." A 36 volume "Interacial Brittanica" could be written and not complete the issue so I'm just going to quickly state what's going through my mind right now.<P>I've been in frightenly few relationships for my age (26). But they've almost always been a different "race" (Vietnamese, German Descendant White, African American, Jamaican, Bi-Racial). So now I sit on the cusp of a relationship with a blonde haired, blue eyed girl. Before this situation came upon me, my eyes were firmly set on black women. A nice fro or puffs or short hair, I'm really not digging the perm thing at the moment, but really, whatever's natural. Light skin, dark skin, over the past few years, I've found the beauty in it all. I've been all looking for the dark beauty.<P>Now this blonde/blue girl I've known for some time comes along. We start hanging more, enjoying each other's company. We're not the same, really at all. But exploring differences, finding resolution in conflict, talking things out and learning about people; I dig that stuff. We share a level of discussion where we can talk serious about crazy and serious stuff, disagree, but not take it personal and get all mean about it. She's beautiful, has this hippieish connection with "nature," (one of our current points of contention is I argue the city is "natural" and has as much spirit as the wilderness ). She has a wonderful voice that cheers me to hear it. She's a wild free spirit that's been through some rough shit in her life that I can't even fathom yet, and she's still growing and finding herself. I'm thoroughly interested in her.<P>Am I really supposed to fuck all that away because she's white?<P>I ask this sincerely. Please respond. Email me if you don't want it on the boards. I'm here for discussion, not the bullheaded stating of opinions as fact that this group is sometimes prone to.<P>In the meantime,<BR>b. well<P>box<P>-"Where's the Love?" - Hanson<BR>-"Heed the message, Kill the messenger" - Shawn Colvin