Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectquestion(s) :
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=14977&mesg_id=15018
15018, question(s) :
Posted by krewcial, Tue Jan-18-00 03:16 AM
>I've been told and I don't know, <BR>>but when one travels abroad, they <BR>>get a different perspective of life <BR>>that is not as color struck <BR>>as it is in the US. <P>I have the impression (through reading the past 5,000 discussions with a similar topic), that the US culture is 'color struck' indeed. <P>All I can tell is that it IS different where I live.<P>>I don't doubt that this <BR>>new perspective is what made BT <BR>>think that it might be nice <BR>>to do this movie. However, <BR>>if you are from here, and <BR>>you live here, and you claim <BR>>to represent here, my opinion is <BR>>that your responsibility is to here. <P>True, but is it EXCLUSIVELY in one's community, or PRIMARILY ?<P>>That we are the world <BR>>shit has never, and will never <BR>>exist. <P>I'm sorry, but I feel that this site is an excellent example of a more global 'we are the world'-thing going on. Of course not as naive and shiny/happy as you suggest with your cynicism, but there is a debate culture on okayplayer, with people from all over discussing.<P>>How exactly can having one of our <BR>>beautiful, jet, Black men fawnin all <BR>>over another white girl serve us <BR>>as a people. I doubt <BR>>that it can but since the <BR>>new trend among Black rappers nowadays <BR>>is to be "global", I guess <BR>>he no longer identifies with just <BR>>the Black community, I mean after <BR>>all, we ain't the ones payin' <BR>>most of the bills. <P>Does identifying with one's own community exclude having a global understanding and/or vice versa ?<BR>Aren't both possible ?<P>>It pains me to see Black <BR>>people with opportunities to do something <BR>>in the best interest of Black <BR>>people, opt instead to work in <BR>>the best interest of others. <P>Once again : <P>>And pardon me if I just <BR>>can't see how another interracial relationship <BR>>story can serve Black people. <BR>>Sometimes I wish I had enough <BR>>money to pay cats to be <BR>>true to Black people. It <BR>>seems that loot is the only <BR>>way to keep cats in line <BR>>these days. <P>Oh, so it's about disciplining people ... keeping them in line ? Which line ? The one you decide ? Can't people make their own choices ?<P>>I'm still prayin' <BR>>for Black Star though. Hopefully, <BR>>they'll be Black men enough to <BR>>keep it at home. <P>Keep praying ... FYI : BlackStar toured Europe, and performed in front of predomninantly 'white' audiences. Does this mean they sold out too ? Cos that's obviously not their own community ... I guess in your opinion...<P>And what does this have to do with being 'men' ? How is it possible that you see 'men' as the saviours of their community ? Isn't this contributing to the patriarchal system that already exist ?<P><BR>krewcial<BR><a href="http://urgent.rug.ac.be/vinylators" target="_blank">http://urgent.rug.ac.be/vinylators<;/a><P>'We've got to change our own minds about each other. We have to see each other with new eyes. We have to see each other as brothers and sisters. We have to come together with warmth'<BR>