Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectEXACTLY...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=14977&mesg_id=15004
15004, EXACTLY...
Posted by dafriquan, Mon Jan-17-00 05:55 PM
<BR>>1) assuming that the Roots (as individuals <BR>>or a group) are "conscious" <BR>>and that that consciousness or love <BR>>for our community mandates certain actions <BR>>& behavior. <P>I don't when The Roots became a "conscious" group. Just because they keep the gun talk to a minimum, don't refer to women as bitches and hos and Quest has a pick in his afro that does not automatically put them on some Chuck D, "fight the power" type shit.<BR>The Roots are human beings not community leaders. I don't recall BT or anyone in the band saying "I hate whitey and I would never do a flick with a jewish chick". So someone please point out to me the rule it is that Tariq just broke.<BR>And I fail to see the connection between one brother fictionally dating a jewish chick and a black woman's dream of ever getting married to a black man beign crushed. Unless of course that man happens to be Black Thought. Even then, a filmaker more than anyone else should know that what goes on in front of a camera is just acting...<BR>Going with this logic, I should be crying my self to sleep since Naomi Cambell hasn't really included too many brothers on her long list of boyfriends. There goes my dreams...<BR>But is Naomi conscious? Hell yeah, at least by the same token that The Roots are. She speaks up against discrimination in the modeling industry, has not been accused of smoking crack, she politics with Nelson Mandela and donates money to poor kids in South Africa...<P>>The topic is too deep, painful, & <BR>>politicized for this place. <BR>It's not deep or painful, it's just that Ricky Lake, Jerry Springer and (add trashy talk show host here) have already gone over this before. Nothing new can come out of this. I don't want to generalise but: If a black woman can't get a black man, she probably can't get any man. (PERIOD). Not because all the black men have been "snatched" by the other side. She should take a note from Jazzyfatnastees and heal the wound inside her heart first.<BR>As hard as it is, sometimes you just have to look within...<BR>ONE LOVE<BR>dafriquan