Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjecti would love to let this post die, but
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=14977&mesg_id=14988
14988, i would love to let this post die, but
Posted by guest, Sun Jan-16-00 10:58 AM
if you are going to "defend" the interracial love storyline by saying that Black women are insecure, or inferior, or have no self esteem, or are not WOMEN, for God's sake, that is not the way to let this post die. <P>It is never a good idea to insult one group of people in defense of another group. I would buy the argument that there needs to be more tolerance all around, HOWEVER, as a Black woman, I will not buy it if you follow that my telling me (or any of my Black sistas), that we are not entitled to our feelings when we see our brothas with othas--or reducing it a matter of us feeling "unpretty". PLEASE.<P>Everyone dreams of how their future is going to be. Many Black women dream of finding a Black man and raising a Black family. When they see interracial couples (and this goes both ways, not just for men with non-Black women, but also when they see sistas with non-Black men), it calls into question the likelihood that those dreams will come true. And anytime you realize that a dream of yours is not going to come true, that is a painful realization.<P>I think the original post-er speaks to the fact that when a group like the Roots, who are so "concious" (for lack of a better term) have an opportunity to make a film, it is a little disappointing that the subject matter of choice is an interracial relationship. Although I can't say that would make *me* boycott anyone (at least until i see the freakin movie), I can see where she is coming from. <P>Emotional topics elicit emotional responses. If sistas didnt love brothas so much, this thread would have never begun. <P>One more thing--Quest, all of those people who you mentioned who are or have been involved with someone outside of their race--none of them have been omitted from many discussions that I have been a part of regarding brothas with othas. So discussion about this movie just joins that those people and their interracial unions.<P>We can't deny that there is an issue here, there has been in the past, and there will be in the future. So why when someone brings that issue up is the post called bullshit, and why is there a call to squash the discussion before it even happens?<P>(cant wait to see the movie so we can have a real discussion, however--when does it come out?)<P>peace,<BR>computer love<P>