Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: well
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=14867&mesg_id=14902
14902, RE: well
Posted by Bohos, Mon Aug-20-01 01:23 PM
Actually Quest, KRS did do some shit with a guy named Goldie, a spell before Things Fall Apart was released. Goldie's from London, maybe you bumped into him while living abroad. The track was called "Digital". Let me know, I can email you a copy of the MP3 if you'd like. (we can milk this for as long as you'd like...)

Just to clear it up, IMO there hasn't been a mainstream rap act or artist that has brought drum and bass to the forefront of MAINSTREAM hip hop. Artists (The Roots, OutKast, Timberland, etc) have used elements of drum and bass, but no one has successfully created the hybrid everyone's been waiting for. I don't think mainstream hip hop is to that level yet, assuming that it ever will reach that level.

When BOB first came out, what were the first reactions to the song?

Average independent minded hip hop listener - "Oh snap, Outkast is on some drum and bass shit for the lead single off their album! Have you heard the track yet? It's off the hizzy!"

Trainspotting backpacker / anyone who hates the fact that OutKast has BROUGHT IT musically AND lyrically on all of their albums, flipping their style more successfully than the Roots ever will (or will they?-pointed finger-) - "On no, that's not drum and bass, it's just speeded up drums, which technically is not a drum and bass song. Actually, if you break down the drum patterns it's more along the lines of a booty song."

It's the second of the two responses (not that either were gospel)that stuck with me for a while and began to make me bitter towards your sometimes arrogant, elitist attitude (n.b. - I am not referring to specific posts / statements made by you, but rather the attitude that you have implanted into some of the impressionable minds that frequent these boards).

"not tribe
not gang starr
not outkast
not epmd
not pe
not digable
not 3rd bass"

What's the point here? You wanted to beat these guys to it? Who gives a shit? I thought the Roots were about making excellent music at their own pace. As was the point in my initial post, the Roots have not exposed mainstream hip hop to drum and bass, as you claimed. And they won't, because they are too afraid they will fall on their face (or will they? again - pointed finger-). And by the way, the above mentioned artists have all have made their permanent mark in hip hop. They are not worried about what they will be remembered for. Chuck D is not on his website claiming that he was the first rapper ever to expose mainstream hip hop to "political" rhymes, if you catch my drift.