Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: new com album swipe (mtv news)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=14696&mesg_id=14771
14771, RE: new com album swipe (mtv news)
Posted by Egypt_Black, Fri Sep-21-01 01:14 AM
I think all the talkbacks on Commons new jawn are funny.

Firstly, to a previous poster... You're right, the original Golden Brown song is by The Stranglers and in answer to your question... It is actually about heroin!!! Strange but true.

Secondly, my Mother always tells me; "Nothing becomes great without adversity"
Ali would not have been CALLED the greatest if all his fights were walkovers. Nelson Mandela would not have been CLASSED as great if there was never any political struggle. Great is defined by the measure of it's oppostion. In this instance, the opposition is... YOU, and it sounds to me like Common may be on the dawn of releasing a GREAT album!!

Like all true artists, different directions will be taken and when they are, they will always be met with the maddening crowd. Probably Common's new album isn't going to please the ears of everyone who listens to it, but an artist- forget that, a human being is entitled to grow. It is the evolution theory and it isn't at the expense of their listeners. The first person you aim to please as an artist is yourself and you hope that people RELATE to where you're coming from. Art is a form of release and more importantly EXPRESSION. Who are we to tell eachother what to express? It's so strange how millions of people including myself thoroughly dislike A&R's of record companies but what is more strange is how much you are beginning to sound like them.

Why this is funny to me is because The Beatles' Seargent Pepper LP was released to the exact same pre- critism and is now classed as one of the greatest albums of all time. Whichever way, when one group of listeners is lost, another is gained... whatever the sound or image or in the case of Seargent Pepper, both.

"Like Water For Chocolate" was a GREAT album with a great sound. Whatever the direction the Soulquarians were taking, they arrived there with Common's Jawn. So wherever they are taking the new Common LP, I've got my ticket to ride!! I personally loved "A Film Called Pimp" and it's intro was hilarious. Common has always been a unique individual and unique people will always if not please us, surprise us and that's why he is one of the most stand-out MC's of his generation.

I will conclude now with this... Look y'all, in life, don't be followers, be leaders and embrace those that lead because when you do... you will never be guilty of pre- judging. If your gonna judge an album... Extend to the artist a tad of respect by at least listening to it first.

More power Common and as we in the 'hood say in London... MORE FIRE!!!!!!!

Egypt Black

"Where I come from, we don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be..." -Prince "UPTOWN"