Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: D'Angelo vs. Maxwell
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=14409&mesg_id=14446
14446, RE: D'Angelo vs. Maxwell
Posted by guest, Sat Oct-06-01 06:37 PM
This is a question that has been posed many times. I am fans of both of their music. I feel they are both talented in their own right. We must understand that they have different approaches but ultimately similar messages. Maxwell has a more timeless and sensual element to his music. He captures a deeper and more complex sense of reality in his music. While D'Angelo is more direct and straightforward. Maxwell's music contains a more jazzy and mellow feel. While D'Angelo's music is more soulful and gritty. I have learned to appreciate both of their unique styles and moods of their music. I believe that Maxwell's music is the type of music you would play when your trying to get romantic, and D'Angelo's music is more for when you are trying to get freaky. Overall, I would have to say Maxwell's music is probably more appreciated by an older audience searching for music that captures the pure emotion and honesty of a true relationship. Maxwell has a Marvin Gaye quality. While D'Angelo has a Curtis Mayfield and Prince quality. Again different in approach but similar in the message. Overall, I would say Maxwell is a better singer and songer, and his music is more classic and timeless. He focuses more on "the definitive work that can not be surpassed."