Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectD' all the way
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=14409&mesg_id=14444
14444, D' all the way
Posted by guest, Tue Mar-28-00 02:31 PM
I am a big fan of both D'angelo and Maxwell. I've met Max, hopefully when the D'Tour hits Houston I will have the opportunity to meet him as well. Why is D a better artist? Collectively D is a better versed and a more well-rounded artist. I commend Maxwell on the diversity involved in the making of his music, However, D' puts it down for all the real soul lovers who would much rather listen to the good old Claudine soundtrack on vinyl than the new Ginuine CD. D's Voodoo Cd is a musical phenomenon especially in what we have become as music lovers. I could just feel the energy, both positive and negative involved in the making of each song on the album. It reminded me of listening to Marvin Gaye's "I Want You" CD. Remember the part in "Soon I'll Be Loving You" when Marvin gently moans that he's going to give Janice (his second wife, and mother of Nona) some head. I get that same tingle between my thighs g when I listen to D's "Send It On". The song "Africa" with it's spiritual message could be interpreted to voice some Rastafari beliefs and can be compared to some of Bob Marley's finest work. On the other hand Maxwell has Stuart Matthewman (of Sweetback and Sade fame) to back up his beautiful harmonious chords. Then again D has ?uest on the drums giving too much rythym and Roy Hargrove bringing me to tears with his trumpet. Plus, D' is more versatile. There are other subjects that soul artist can reference other than love. Marvin and Curtis taught us that long ago. Anyway, it's D all the way here, baby. Anybody got something real to add to this, I look foward to it. Peace.