Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectCommon told me....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=14325&mesg_id=14337
14337, Common told me....
Posted by BKyle, Tue Sep-25-01 07:21 AM
... well actualy, I had to ask him what the hell was on his mind and what motivated, "a dikka da dikka da dikka didda di-da"
at the end of "the light"?

He told me it took him about two to three days to write 'The Light' 'cause he would write a lil... and then come back to it a lil later. While in the studio recording, he was laying down the vocals for the last verse but had NOT completed the lyrics. He filled in that gap with the tempo, pace, and beat but without words. He was gonna add some lyrics to that same paced delivery, but could think of how to end this letter to a lover... and what came out was, "a dikka da dikka da dikka didda di-da". He said that some people in the studio suggested he keep it as is. (WHY I don't know. I wasn't there)

So he did.

He stated that "I'll tell u the rest when I see you" was added to bring an element of him wanting to write more of his over-whelming feelings towards her in the letter, that he couldn't harbor them all and put it writing... so he had to tell her the rest in person.

Common told me this while in Portland on tour. I thought I talked aboutthat a while back. hmmm, my bad

Brian Kyle A.