Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Hate to be the voice of dissent but...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=14188&mesg_id=14215
14215, RE: Hate to be the voice of dissent but...
Posted by SirLau, Sat Oct-20-01 12:39 AM
Interesting insight on Shaggy and K-Ci and Jo-Jo.

Questions though:

1. Regardless of whether or not the Jill version of "You Got Me" was better, do you think that it would have popped off like Erykah's version. Don't you think the song benefitted from Erykah's presence, as planned. Could you see radio picking up on a single by The Roots featuring a then unknown Jill Scott? Ultimately the grammy opened up alot of doors for these cats. I noticed The Roots started popping up on a lot of soundtracks since TFA and don't you think ?uest has probably gotten more work as the result of being "Grammy Award Producer" Ahmir Thompson. I understand the importance of integrity of your craft, but the music BUSINESS, by nature is one of compromise. So overall, wasn't having Erykah on the song a good thing for all parties involved. Roots got a grammy,long overdue recognition, a gold album, and a radio hit, Jill and Eve got some dough in their pockets, and eventually their own platinum records.

2. Can anybody blame MCA for the commercial failure of Dice Raw and Melky Sedeck? Not excatly what you would call stellar debuts.

3. What is Common complaining about? He certainly can't complain about MCA picking bad singles 'cause according to "Label Guy", the Geto Heaven re-mix (bad idea) was his call, and the label supported it. And by the way he probably also benefited from Erykah's presence via music video. Whose idea was that?

4. What the hell was Jag talking about when she compared the MCA roster to Roc-A-Fella?

I'm sure MCA ain't perfect, just as I know there's much more to this story that we still don't know. Comments ?uest, Label Guy.