Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectbullshit..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=14188&mesg_id=14213
14213, bullshit..
Posted by gravity508, Fri Oct-19-01 09:06 PM
Okay im going scatterbrained here..let me slow down.

First of all, I feel that the company is just trying to cover it's ass (of course) by saying, hey we aren't the bad guys, look Richard Nichols is guilty too. That is so elementary. Then the comments of the "two former MCA employess" killed me, they were contradicting to an extent. This Boberg guy, might develop artists, but whats the point in doing so if youre gonna jerk them around. How can you pick singles for music that you don't listen to? They (MCA) must be guilty to threaten a magazine from printing an article. I feel that Boberg, is kicking himself in the butt now for not using the "You Got Me" version with Jill, but come on lying on your artists' isn't the way to go, if it's one thing I know if they (the Roots & their management) have something to say in regards to their preference of something
they VOICED it, so for this guy to say, that the Roots' preference was "never commuinicated to me at the time" is a outright lie.

It just seems as if the Hip-hop side of the company is suffering. I mean how in the hell do u expect a group to make a any profits for themselves and/or record company if you give them budgets like $100,000-300,000? Setting them up for a suicide mission. Hell I don't blame Rich for being difficult
I mean what does he (Boberg) expect, for him to become grin & be satisfied with getting it with no vasaline? Okay, I see that Boberg says that they tried to develop a reputation as a label where artist would want to come, especially the ones who are innovative and pushing the envelope artistically...They may come but once they are there, they die. Can anything worth listening to thrive over at MCA? Im like what happens to Jaguar? Her album is the bomb, and with the right push, she could easily blow up, but with out some kind of backing what happens to her?
Rahsaan Patterson, is another example that first album of his should have put him on the map. Financially they are just being plain cheap. My thing is if you don't want the act let them go.

Then there's Avant's two cents...yeah everything may be great now....but give it time. Come on now, they lost the final version of GZA's video...BS, man..BS.

It also seems like if he asks the promotion department for their thoughts are for a radio single, he picks the one they don't mention. Hey Jay how about letting someone else pick singles for a change, eh.

Then Boberg goes on to say, " few record companies...would stick with acts for second and third singles"..question, what exactly was the Roots' second single? and if it was "Adrenaline" how are u gonna release a single and get it no airplay?

Question: Could Motive become a "real" indie label and find a good distrubution deal?

"Ain't gonna be no Confusement, Jerry" - A guest on the Jerry Springer show...where else would something like that come from?

"We are all spiritual beings having a human experience"-Maxwell