Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectEnough Underground Glorification
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=13845&mesg_id=13871
13871, Enough Underground Glorification
Posted by guest, Thu Nov-15-01 07:11 PM
I wonder why you think its so important that the artists you listen to are underground. I think its fascinating that so many people like music just because it is underground. I mean I happen to love all the OKP artists, but that has nothing to do with the fact that they are underground, just that they make music that I enjoy listening to. I mean hey Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix are two of the most well known musicians in the world, yet they also are two of the most talented guitarists ever. If I had enjoyed their music before it was popular, the fact that other people began to recognize their talent wouldnt be a valid reason to stop listening in my mind. It seems to me that if Common became one of the most well known artists in the world, but he kept putting out the same caliber music, it would be wrong to cease enjoying his music. Perhaps some folks just need the feeling of independence or difference that listening to "underground" music gives them. If this is the case maybe they should reevaluate why they listen to music