Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectNaz's Rant....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=13716&mesg_id=13736
13736, Naz's Rant....
Posted by NazDak, Fri Nov-30-01 05:37 PM
I dont think jags album is coming out in january either. If it gets pushed back, i'm thinking like, next year would be a better idea at this point.
If it doesnt get pushed back, jesus. That album is getting NO push. Almost 3 years later and when i mention jaguar, people still say "who?" or "the reggae guy?" Its sad. The woman is one of the most naturally talented people i've ever seen or heard, but who the hell is making these *excellent* decisions over at MCA? (note the sarcastic emphasis on the word "excellent")
I'd seriously like to know who's idea it was to release "cant wait" as a first single??? Whats the selling point there??? Bilal? Please. Dude cant even sell his OWN shit, even *with* all the A list producers he has on his album...and they're expecting *his* name to sell *jags* shit? Sorry, but thats not gonna happen. Aside from the 'Ghetto fabulous wanting to be neo soul crowd' thats into bilal, the only ones feeling bilal are the NYC headwrap crew, and a few other 'conscious' wannabees across the country. Bilal wont sell shit...because with the exception of Elton John, men cannot be diva's. He is a Diva, and it totally comes across that way in his music and performances. Please...label guy, tell us the genious who thought this was a good idea, so they can be laughed out of their field.
"After having her tour all over the country, and having her perform 'aint nobody playin' as her single for months, and then shooting a video for it, those idiots are gonna decide to release 'I cant wait' instead because it got some good feedback in a non-trendsetter market??? *Somebody* needs to choose a new profession."--A good friend of mine.
I know this was supposed to be a black thought thread...but jag means alot to me, and it makes me SICK to think that the fruits of her labor are all dependent on idiots at MCA or otherwise. Its ridiculous. The decisions made, not only for jags album, but for so many others i've seen on the MCA roster, are a joke. MCA seems to be a firm believer in throwing records out there like hail marys....hoping they'll get reception from their target audience. That is *not* how business should be done. I'm sorry. If they are that afraid of a bottom line, then they're in the wrong business. Go distribute widgets or something, not records.
Please...somebody, ANYBODY (MCA, Motive?)....Argue with me. Tell me i'm wrong! I'm interested in your counter-argument to everything i just said.
Naz

BlueChip Productions, LLC.