Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectBT album shelved?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=13716
13716, BT album shelved?
Posted by JtothaI, Thu Nov-29-01 02:33 PM
taken from that BET article posted earlier. Can anyone confirm or deny?

In other Roots news, Thompson also told BET.com that Black Thoughts long-delayed solo debut, Masterpiece Theatre, has been shelved indefinitely due to sample clearance issues.

PEACE

LA's Online Hip Hop Mag
http://www.thaformula.com

AIM: jtothai
13717, Sample Clearance issues?
Posted by Ysilent, Thu Nov-29-01 02:39 PM
If this is the case, then that is really scary that an ENTIRE ALBUM would get shelved because of sample clearance. Shit if thats the case they need to sheve badboy's entire hip hop catalog. I hope thats not true cause thats some bullshit if it is. I make beats and I sample so i guess i'm gonna have to break out my little sister's casio. FUCK!!!!
13718, RE: Sample Clearance issues?
Posted by delrica, Fri Nov-30-01 11:21 AM

>Shit if thats the case
>they need to sheve badboy's
>entire hip hop catalog.

amen to that!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The kinda shit that's only in Prince songs!!! " (c) SpookyElectric

When the world ends...we'll be burnin' one...ahh (c) Dave Matthews

Del "Lucy Likka" Rica

AIM: damnacmeissue & delricaa | Blackplanet: changingseasons
13719, damn
Posted by Brandard, Thu Nov-29-01 02:51 PM
[]i thought they were just holding off on it.

so now someone explain to me the logic.

you are the label, you have just paid a sig. amount of money for thsi project esp. considering the list of producers that was floating around.

why wouldnt you release it?(b/c i seriously doubt this has anything to do with samples and a whole lot more to do with label politics) dont you want to at least partially recoup on your lost?

seems like bad business.

oh and where's label_guy b/c this needs some serious explaining and not a one word quip.
13720, RE: here's my quip
Posted by label_guy, Thu Nov-29-01 07:13 PM
That was a new one. I actually cut & pasted it and sent it the MCA legal affairs contact here with a note saying "so its all your fault!"
LG

no sig today.......Labels are cutting back.

13721, if im wrong tell me why
Posted by Brandard, Thu Nov-29-01 07:53 PM
[]and that the MCA article coming out has nothing to do with this delay/suspension.

13722, you know?
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Fri Nov-30-01 09:54 AM
this shit is smellin' fishy as fuck...but what do i know.
13723, RE: think
Posted by label_guy, Fri Nov-30-01 10:53 AM
Did ?uest post that sample thing here first in his own house or to MTV news for mass consumption? Isn't he always candid with y'all first with the uncut behind the scenes sh*t?

Like I said before, this sample thing was news to me.
I'm getting ready for Phrenology.

LG
Nobody likes a snitch and you can't knock the hustle so I won't do either.

13724, That's what I'm sayin'
Posted by PolarbearToenails, Fri Nov-30-01 12:01 PM
I think sample clearance is just a convenient excuse to tell the media while all this label beef is being negotiated. We all knew it was shelved anyway... Phrenology is on the front burner right now.

--
Jesse Thorn / Host
The Sound of Young America
Thursdays 5-6 PM KZSC 88.1 Santa Cruz
http://www.splangy.com

"This album is by far the greatest piece of writing, arranging, producing, and sequencing genius I've ever encountered. Anyone who has heard the first two Swamp Dogg albums will possibly say impossible, but after listening to this one will make the cross-over to incredible. The only album that may possibly compare with this one is the one that I'm contemplating doing the late future. Everything that is neccessary to make an album I have; Ego, talent, originality, humor, and I am dynamic, articulate, defiant, altruistic, considerate, warm, wonderful, & humble... I have also been a Grammy nominee for the past two years. I'm also a Cancer (July 12) and twenty nine years in the world. What you've just read is my trip, and if you can't tolerate it, that's your trip."
-- Swamp Dogg, from the liner notes to his album, "Cuffed, Collared, & Tagged"

13725, RE: think
Posted by tREBLEFREE, Fri Nov-30-01 03:46 PM
>Did ?uest post that sample thing
>here first in his own
>house or to MTV news
>for mass consumption? Isn't he
>always candid with y'all first
>with the uncut behind the
>scenes sh*t?

LG has a point. ?uest had always told us (OKPfam, boards) what the fuck goes on when it comes to Roots related matters first.

Still, I can't help but wonder why he told BET.COM that.

I suspect he's tryin' to fart in a elevator, jump off and blame it on MCA.

:-)

gREG bASS (now known as datcatdeycalltREBLEFREE)
Former Questo-Endorsed Player Of The Week...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CURRENT WISH LIST:

MP3's of:

Minnie Riperton's - "How Could I Love You More" & "When It Comes Down To It"

Bilal - The UNCUT versions of "Slyde" & "Queen Of Sanity"

Can u help me??

You can remain anonymous.....okay player?
13726, ?uest has been so busy
Posted by Brandard, Fri Nov-30-01 03:51 PM
[]lately its not even funny.

and if anyone has been paying attention the only thing he has said regarding the MCA article was(to paraphrase) "More Albums, Faster"

13727, That's Malik Bid-ness
Posted by sundasill, Fri Nov-30-01 05:30 PM
http://members.aol.com/soulquarianlove/images/catscratch.gif

m
y si
g ju
st cra
she
d
13728, he knows were smarter than that
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Fri Nov-30-01 06:38 PM
i'm going to go out on a limb here..and say the BET website crowd probably hasn't read the MCA article...

Here LG, I'll play your game....if after all this time, ?uest has been honest with us first and foremost..given us the inside back door secret handshake type shit.....um, then WHY didnt' WE hear it first that it was sampling troubles???....again, it's politics...admit it.

and someone answer Naz's nasty ass..lol
13729, RE: get off the X-Files theories
Posted by label_guy, Fri Nov-30-01 09:20 PM
It ain't politics re: this particular issue but believe what you want.....your theory is more entertaining.
If you don't know me by now..... I ain't going into someone's house and knock their hustle. I got too much respect for them.
?uest's history has shown he'll let y'all know what he wants y'all to know about the behind the scenes sh*t.....the good & the bad.
Damn, I didn't know bet.com gets that much cred here.....they are movin up in the world since the Viacom merger.

LG
"Keepin it "gully" doesn't mean be gullible" - LG
13730, got dammit label guy
Posted by Dove, Fri Nov-30-01 11:08 PM
will you STOPPIT putting RE: in your subject line? we all know it's RE: (about) whatever you put in that line....
and besides it's a default RE: and you didn't get clearance for it.
?uest's gonna charge u royalties....

13731, oh and btw
Posted by Dove, Fri Nov-30-01 11:09 PM
I have no point
13732, RE: got dammit label guy
Posted by label_guy, Sat Dec-01-01 08:34 PM
>will you STOPPIT putting RE: in
>your subject line? we all
>know it's RE: (about) whatever
>you put in that line....
>
>and besides it's a default RE:
>and you didn't get clearance
>for it.
>?uest's gonna charge u royalties....

Did you see what time I posted that sh*t????? To think a shady industry cat like me stayin up late on my own time 'effin wit y'all on a Friday nite......

LG

13733, It actually *is* sample clearances, for the most part. n/m
Posted by NazDak, Fri Nov-30-01 09:33 PM
Wanna Join a Street Team?
Email Me:
promo@bluechip-productions.com

Check out the website...see some of what we do:
Http://www.bluechip-productions.com
BlueChip Productions, LLC.

13734, "for the most part"
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Sat Dec-01-01 07:05 AM
that's what i read ...

i mean sure, an album can be held up due to sampling issues....didn't com have sampling issues with LWFC? ..i don't remember that album getting shelved or pushed back a trillion times...and at that time, com hadn't come with anything to make him a bigger push than black thought...

i guess thought and all his producers must have been real sloppy...

how bout the roots go back (after phrenology), play all the shit from the album, nothing will be sampled...call it a roots album, and get the fuck outta mca.

peace
Kyle
13735, By this point..
Posted by Steve, Fri Nov-30-01 10:47 AM
I have decided not to anticipate a project by any okayartist until that shit is actually in the stores..otherwise I just dont believe that it exists..my inner hypeness level has been manipulated too many times.

Peace,
Steve
OkayArtist Board Moderator
Please Read Guidelines:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
IM:Gigfog

http://www.wordsbeatsandlife.com - CHECK IT!

Watch my slowly growing webpage - http://www.wam.umd.edu/~slogerfo/
13736, Naz's Rant....
Posted by NazDak, Fri Nov-30-01 05:37 PM
I dont think jags album is coming out in january either. If it gets pushed back, i'm thinking like, next year would be a better idea at this point.
If it doesnt get pushed back, jesus. That album is getting NO push. Almost 3 years later and when i mention jaguar, people still say "who?" or "the reggae guy?" Its sad. The woman is one of the most naturally talented people i've ever seen or heard, but who the hell is making these *excellent* decisions over at MCA? (note the sarcastic emphasis on the word "excellent")
I'd seriously like to know who's idea it was to release "cant wait" as a first single??? Whats the selling point there??? Bilal? Please. Dude cant even sell his OWN shit, even *with* all the A list producers he has on his album...and they're expecting *his* name to sell *jags* shit? Sorry, but thats not gonna happen. Aside from the 'Ghetto fabulous wanting to be neo soul crowd' thats into bilal, the only ones feeling bilal are the NYC headwrap crew, and a few other 'conscious' wannabees across the country. Bilal wont sell shit...because with the exception of Elton John, men cannot be diva's. He is a Diva, and it totally comes across that way in his music and performances. Please...label guy, tell us the genious who thought this was a good idea, so they can be laughed out of their field.
"After having her tour all over the country, and having her perform 'aint nobody playin' as her single for months, and then shooting a video for it, those idiots are gonna decide to release 'I cant wait' instead because it got some good feedback in a non-trendsetter market??? *Somebody* needs to choose a new profession."--A good friend of mine.
I know this was supposed to be a black thought thread...but jag means alot to me, and it makes me SICK to think that the fruits of her labor are all dependent on idiots at MCA or otherwise. Its ridiculous. The decisions made, not only for jags album, but for so many others i've seen on the MCA roster, are a joke. MCA seems to be a firm believer in throwing records out there like hail marys....hoping they'll get reception from their target audience. That is *not* how business should be done. I'm sorry. If they are that afraid of a bottom line, then they're in the wrong business. Go distribute widgets or something, not records.
Please...somebody, ANYBODY (MCA, Motive?)....Argue with me. Tell me i'm wrong! I'm interested in your counter-argument to everything i just said.
Naz

13737, RE: Naz's Rant....
Posted by label_guy, Fri Nov-30-01 09:25 PM
Can't call it bruh.....
The okayartists that I'm dealing with are The Roots & Common.

LG
Doing my job since 1991
13738, I thought
Posted by SPADE, Sun Dec-02-01 04:28 AM
all parties agreed that the video for "Nobody playin'" was wack and may have hurt her rather than help.
13739, me too yo!!!
Posted by DROots, Fri Nov-30-01 06:34 PM
i made a big ass post a few months back about all of our anticipation, but it got no replies. think i'll make one again.
peace
m!ke

(((aim: okayplayerDROots)))
(((okayoungin' reppin)))

rip george harrison
and like john once said,
"we all shine on. like the
moon and the stars and the sun."
13740, don't you mean
Posted by Dove, Fri Nov-30-01 11:10 PM
inner hyperness?
13741, ha
Posted by bw, Fri Nov-30-01 11:36 AM
sample clearance issues" is hip-hop's equivalent of "knee tendinitis" in the NBA...it's a fair enough justification for tossing a player/album on the d.l. indefinitely.

bw
aim: okayplayer47
ben.walker@hiphopcongress.com

--
one left:
http://www.brandeis.edu/~benw/ra/4.ram

13742, bingo n/m
Posted by PolarbearToenails, Fri Nov-30-01 05:25 PM
--
Jesse Thorn / Host
The Sound of Young America
Thursdays 5-6 PM KZSC 88.1 Santa Cruz
http://www.splangy.com

"This album is by far the greatest piece of writing, arranging, producing, and sequencing genius I've ever encountered. Anyone who has heard the first two Swamp Dogg albums will possibly say impossible, but after listening to this one will make the cross-over to incredible. The only album that may possibly compare with this one is the one that I'm contemplating doing the late future. Everything that is neccessary to make an album I have; Ego, talent, originality, humor, and I am dynamic, articulate, defiant, altruistic, considerate, warm, wonderful, & humble... I have also been a Grammy nominee for the past two years. I'm also a Cancer (July 12) and twenty nine years in the world. What you've just read is my trip, and if you can't tolerate it, that's your trip."
-- Swamp Dogg, from the liner notes to his album, "Cuffed, Collared, & Tagged"

13743, Its politics alright. n/m
Posted by NazDak, Fri Nov-30-01 05:08 PM

Wanna Join a Street Team?
Email Me:
promo@bluechip-productions.com

Check out the website...see some of what we do:
Http://www.bluechip-productions.com

13744, RE: BT album shelved?
Posted by guest, Fri Nov-30-01 06:04 PM
Can someone please post the original article, or a link to it?
13745, RE: BT album shelved?
Posted by applesz, Fri Nov-30-01 08:36 PM
which one?
13746, up ^
Posted by aoxomoxoa, Wed Dec-05-01 11:00 AM
Im seeing mad posts about this ... so UP
13747, hahahahahahahaha
Posted by REDeye, Wed Dec-05-01 11:15 AM
hahahahahaha*cough cough*hahahahahaha

whew.

The music business sucks.

Hip hop is dead. Long live hip hop.

Carry on.

RED
"Oooh! A fresh batch of America Balls!" Đ Homer
13748, JUST CLEAR THE SAMPLE
Posted by polar, Wed Dec-05-01 11:19 AM
(c) Pharcyde skit

"You don't make enough bread to soak up all your liquor" - Plug Won

"swim in the dangerous part,building with thirsty mammals/white men scream -'swim Starks sharks!'" - Tony Starks

"When I'm in the sound-proof booth I get loose" - Del.

"Is every nigga with dreds for the cause, is every nigga with gold for the fall? Naw, so don't get caught up in appearance. It's Outkast/Aquemini, part of the black experience." -Andre Ben.

"drugs are bad, mmmmkay?"
13749, Here it is
Posted by NegNoire, Wed Dec-05-01 11:46 AM
http://www.bet.com/articles/0,,c3gb882-1524,00.html

The Roots Tapped By Jay-Z For His 'Unplugged' Special, Album
By Mark Allwood, BETi Music News

MTV's latest installment of its "Unplugged" series should make for interesting bedfellows, as multi-platinum rapper Jay-Z will be backed by Grammy-winning, Philadelphia-based hip-hop band The Roots.

BET.com caught up with The Roots' drummer extraordinaire recently, Amir "?uestlove" Thompson, who told us that Jigga's performance will be released as an album sometime next month, while the program is slated to air on MTV in December as well.

While vocalists Black Thought and Rahzel did not participate in the taping, Jay-Hova enlisted the help of the rest of The Roots and a string quartet as the Brooklyn-born MC performed hits from his previous albums, as well as tracks from his critically acclaimed new album, The Blueprint.

Queen of Hip-Hop Soul Mary J. Blige reunited with Jay-Z onstage for "Can't Knock the Hustle" (from the rapper's 1996 debut, Reasonable Doubt), and The Neptunes' Pharrell Williams on "I Just Wanna Love U (Give It 2 Me)" (from last year's The Dynasty: Roc La Familia), reports MTV News.

In other Roots news, Thompson also told BET.com that Black Thoughts long-delayed solo debut, Masterpiece Theatre, has been shelved indefinitely due to sample clearance issues.

Meanwhile, fans may notice a slight difference in Thompson's appearance, as the drummer recently shed 107 pounds with the help of trainer Mark Jenkins, who has trained D'Angelo and Mary J. Blige.

man, I don't even give a fuck no more. I'm just gonna have to wait, until it drops. If it doesn't then thats sad, cause the kid has potential.

The key to patience is trusting the inner presence that knows exactly what you need
That inner presence allows everything to unfold divinely at just the right time

13750, RE: Here it is
Posted by Ximo, Wed Dec-05-01 02:04 PM
>cause the kid has potential.

The kid has potential, but the man has also got helluva lot of experience!!
13751, RE: Here it is
Posted by kalo, Thu Dec-06-01 02:24 AM
What is happening with tariq's album is bad, serious. the funny thing is I bet there'll be some japanese bootlegging of his album soon, if that's not the case already.
13752, RE: Here it is
Posted by guest, Thu Dec-06-01 05:55 AM
Mark Jenkins?
Isnīt that the producer of britney spears and Micheal Jackson????

13753, I think I'm gonna cry now
Posted by NextLev, Thu Dec-06-01 09:03 AM
BT's album was the only album I've been anticipating for this long. I'm saddened.

Regards,

Next Lev

"Be perfect within my presence, or cease to exist!" - Next Lev
13754, New public relations, new manager
Posted by nahymsa, Thu Dec-06-01 12:40 PM
needed...period.

13755, bkyle mentioned it..
Posted by thatguy07, Thu Dec-06-01 01:33 PM
but it is my favorite, so i'ma repeat it :

"built wit her for a sec/ let her know i have respect/ less than a hour she was givin' me neck/ yo i'm still gettin' mine.."

that's it.

"you know I had 'Steal this Album' at a party and some motherfucker stole it?" -- 5thcolumn on the coup and their albums
13756, d'oh wrong thread..
Posted by thatguy07, Thu Dec-06-01 01:34 PM
how'd that happen? i swore i hit the back button to "com's best line."

"you know I had 'Steal this Album' at a party and some motherfucker stole it?" -- 5thcolumn on the coup and their albums
13757, That's why you're "that guy"
Posted by Vern, Fri Dec-07-01 05:36 AM
License plate idea turned down by the North Carolina DMV: FELL8ME
13758, RE: BT album shelved?
Posted by feetsadiq, Fri Dec-07-01 10:11 AM
I really hope one day yall all understand...it aint MCA it aint Virgin it aint this label or that label...THEY ALL SUCK...like merc said a while ago if you success ratio is 5 outta 100...record companies have thee worse success rate in any business...they just stink PERIOD