Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectDearest Jaguar
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=12992&mesg_id=13054
13054, Dearest Jaguar
Posted by guest, Thu Jan-31-02 12:01 PM
Okay y'all this is gonna be a bit long cause it's a review for a online entertainment newsletter (IN THA KNOW) I did of her show at BB Kings Bar and Grill in Universal City LA a lil while back.... (hopefully she(or u Jaguar) will read this and apprieciate...... Congrats congrats congrats....

"T’s AURA
Let me rock this Welcome Back Carter theme and say…. Welcome Welcome, Raahubat once again GREAT Ladies and Gents. Come on in (“Don’t slam my dayum gate!” LOL). I’m excited to holla to ya a hot minute about a “cat” who has “claws” and a “prowess” far from some ole Puss & Boots fairytale shyt!

Well, LALA land was a bit low key for me this week. But honey chile, I got a goody goody to put y’all IN THA KNOW with. Allow me to introduce myself to myself… (just doin’ a reader ck. Like M.O.P “IS YA STILL WIT ME?!) Okay okay enough of my T-foolery… Lets get to it…This week, my quest for a low key venue took me to BB King’s Bar and Grill at the Universal City Walk where I experienced someone extraordinary who scratched the inner part of my SOUL. I bring to you Ms. Jaguar Wright (clap
yo hands dayumit!!). In my Aura, I allowed myself to be diluted with a strong dose of “Denials…Delusions…and Decisions” (album droppin’ in January 2002) Ms. Wright’s debut performance is MUTHA-EFFIN-STRAHNJAY!!! With comedic commentary styles of Bernie Mac (“Where the milk and cookies and shyt?!”) and the savvy sassiness of Adel Givens (“I’m a fukkin’ lady!”);
Jaguar done messed around and changed the game of sangin! Her raw, take no shyt, get up in yo ass, and lets be REAL lyrics conveys the Soul of a Woman who has been there and lived that… “These are songs about my life.” and “I was once workin’ in a convenient store makin’ $7.50 an hour. I had my son and I was like fuk this, I gotta do my music!” REAL stories, REALfeelings
of “Ghetto luv gone wrong” let us know she’s not the run of the mill R&B dame singin' with a little ass voice about nonsense. Oh OH OH my goosenecks y’all the VOCALS. (Muwah, smooches, and hugs to the Most High for blessing us with HER) Her vocal ranges are spectaculagicaladosis! (Hooked on phonics worked for me. Try to say that five times fast)
Description of she would be Stephanie Mills meets up with Aretha Franklin right. Then they go pick up Chaka Khan and go to Patti Labelle’s house for some Soul food FOR REAL!! Don’t get it twisted though, this Philly native has been sangin’ for a quite some time at Black Lily. (Dayum don’t ya hate it when good things go away like Wetlands. BUUTTTT they’re still doin’ the
dayum thang at the 5 Spot in Philly. We can ALL agree that the water is tainted with some sort of “talent juice” out there in the illadelph). This is where she perfected her everlasting talent and became discovered.
(Thanks Black Lily…Matter of fact, thanks for opening up doors so we can open our minds, hearts, and souls through REAL Music) Jaguar Wright is ready to bring the pain, grit, and love to the world baaaaby (yea yea Austin Powers is still the shilznik!).

She took us on a ride through a “Country
Song” (that’s just a title as she explained, but it’s a Great song) where we played with the “What If’s”. Then she told us to “Stay” (that joint is funkaaaay trust me) so we can groove and be enlightened by her “Same Shit Different Day” where she let us know in so many words that, “Some bytch done pissed me off” (that was a funny footnote to that song LOL). But I guess
she got that chick when she told her that “Ain't Nobody Playin” dayumit!! Cause there’s “Two Too Many” times we all have said “I Don’t Know” but the “Love and Need and Want You” feelings will fall into place if we just learn “Self Love” then and only then we can all make GREAT things happen. (Yo, she sang that Patti Labelle joint in her own magnificent way with a jazzy
ass break in the middle of the song. Had us Soul clappin like we were in a house party y’all) In her words, “Live life y’all. Just Live the shit.”

During this fantastic ride, she received road side assistance from the sweetest bass player in tha world (he is to me dayumit!! Short story, I was walkin towards this kat and I stumbled a lil bit but he caught me and I told
him I’d send him a postcard from that trip. “He stated he loved his job” Yea yea got ladies fallin over him. LOL) The brutha from anutha mutha… Mr. Glenn Hubbard from The Roots and drummin’ down the pavement AKA eardrums… Sir Vidal Davis from Jill Scott’s Fat Back Taffy. They brought us home with
a “free-mellow” joint with the melodic sample from Minnie Riperton…ya know the one Tribe Called Quest used “Inside My Love”. Yo, I thought I was gonna burst and music was gonna ooze out my skin LOL (Big up to BB King’s sound system word). She played with notes and riffs that displayed her vocal
ability to the fullest. DOIN’ THE DAYUM THANG!!

Jaguar put her heart, soul and life into melodies, beats and rhythms that made us realize that she’s no longer in Denial about herself and no Delusions, can hinder her Decisions
she rolled with to bring her to a higher level of being. I say THANK YOU MADAME JAGUAR WRIGHT for loving yourself enough to let us love you right back sis.
Needless to say, this Queen had a groovy time at the “King’s” house indeed. Big BIG (I really need to use the word COLOSSAL again y’all) to the mover and shakers at Okayplayer.com for keeping the "family" persistent. Peep their website at "http://www.okayplayer.com" for audio teasers of Jaguar Wright’s album “Denials…Delusions...Decisions”. Of course it’s our thang to put Y’all IN THA KNOW of such GREATNESS as well."
((ITK -11/7/01 Edition #11))

Okay that's it folks, (sorry to take up such time and space.) But I just had to let ya know sista Wright... DO THE DAYUM THANG GURL DO IT!!

"Oh shyt you're ill, I like the way your mind moves around at will" - De La Soul