Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectFIVE YEARS IN THE WAITING
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=1221&mesg_id=1246
1246, FIVE YEARS IN THE WAITING
Posted by SevenOneEighter, Fri Oct-15-04 12:45 PM
The New Danger....I've waited FIVE YEARS! Fuck it, i'm writing a long review!!
as MOS reiterates on the album "what it is what it is what it is"

the album is a lot of things. i think it requires patience to listen to and really appreciate. Mos took some risks and sometimes it pays off tremendously creating some of his best work, but its short comings are apparrent. Too much hyping up mic checking and not enough memorable lines. I have also heard a lot of these songs on 12" so i was disappointed they were on it. Overall I enjoy the album for "what it is" but I think Mos can put his all into making a better record.

1. The Boogie Man Song -- great intro, lyrics, pulls you in
2. Freaky Black Greetings -- Rock instrumental/All Hype/Indifferent
3. Ghetto Rock -- pretty HOT. still feels like an intro song even though its track 3. the beat rides like OC's "Times UP" but Mos doesnt come with it like OC hes kinda gettin us ready
4. Zimzallabim -- a successful mesh of Rock & Rap. Mos comes spittin FIRE. which is why its dope. Mos Raps ('cause he's a rapper right?) and the band rocks in the beginning and bridge.
5. The Rape Over -- I enjoyed this live and on 12" but thought it was unnecessary for an album. I want to hear NEW BEATS.
6. Blue Black Jack -- I Guess. Mos just kinda rambles over a blues jam session. its cool, will Mos Definitely get skipped on the regular.
7. Bedstuy Parade & Funeral March -- OKay. Here is where I"m like. LETS GO! BRING IT! ITS time for the album to pick it up. the bass line is nice nice nice nice as Mos says. but its all mic checking hype. I've learned to enjoy it after listening a bunch but damn i wanted to hear him Spittin on this one. So now we've got 7 songs through and only 1 that has three verses of rhymes. which sets us up for
8. Sex, Love & Money -- when I heard FUNK FLEX debut this on HOT 97 I thought it was ATROCIOUS...and I still do. the Title makes it seem like its about something but really its all talking. the beat doesnt translate. this song sucks. its my least favorite on the record.
9. Sunshine -- generic Kanye beat. BUT he Saves the day. MOS comes spitting on this track. ITS DOPE.
10. Close Edge -- as spit on Dave Chappelle. PRetty Tight.
11. THe Panties -- some smoothed out sexy shit. IM REALLY FEELIN IT. THE ALBUM IS PICKING UP
12. War -- GREAT LYRICS. I like the voice over recording. the sample, the Hard-core break down. definitely one of the strongest songs on the album. good punk/rap mesh.
13. Grown Man Business -- Straight Rap. its HOT. But, c'mon lets get a new sample. now that two beats we all already know on the album it took FIVE YEARS TO RELEASE. Minnesotta kicks a dope verse (little lengthy but then again look at this post)reppin the BX. Mos KILLS IT. MOS has some of his best lines on this track
14. Modern Marvel -- it irks me to think that some heads are gonna skip this 10 minute masterpiece cause they have no patience. this is the climax of the record. He sings from the heart and does some role playing, while setting up some great versus. Really shines bright.
15. Life Is Real -- I GOT EX-WIFE BEFF AND SHIT THATS HOW DEEP IT GET....HOT SHIT.
16. THe Easy Spell -- If theres one song I could eliminate on the album this would be it. doesnt work. no appeal. its in the way of a great segway.
17. The Beggar -- this one is real nice. sounds personal. Mos pleaing to his Woman. I'm feelin it.
18. Champion Requiem -- THis is my favorite track. Which is ironic because i'm all about Mos trying different things but when it comes down to it the 88 keys song just feels right. Maybe this is the last track for a reason. like, okay, Black Star is on the way? who knows. but Back to Basics, 88 Keys ends up being the best track on the album. Mos spits his best lines. THE VIBE IS all there. "MY WORK IS PERSONAL I"M A WORKING PERSON I PUT IN WORK I WORK WITH PURPOSE"

overall I really like the new danger. but, i'm a pretty die hard fan. it is what it is. I think Mos has a lot of important and fresh shit to make i just hope we can hear it sooner than it took to get this. ENOUGH ALREADLY. We NEED BLACK STAR. Mos and Kwa can pull the best out of each other. They both need it.