Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectmore ex-samples
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=11743&mesg_id=11755
11755, more ex-samples
Posted by guest, Thu Jun-24-99 10:11 AM
>Thanks for clearing that up ?uest, I just have >one questions, what is the diff between playing >a line and a sample?<P>i thought i explained this in my post, but here goes again...<BR>a sample would involve actually dropping the original recording into a sampler. ex-sample: when timbland & magoo or busta rhymes or whoever else did the knight rider theme. that was a sample, because it was a loop of the ORIGINAL RECORDING. it was loaded into a sp12, or whatever, and looped. the majority of regular hip hop consists of samples from somewhere or another... though, often the samples are, as ?uest said in the critical beatdown discussion, 'primo-ized', or cut up and not as obvious as the knight rider example.<BR>'playing a line', which is what the roots usually do, because they have live insturments. like with hip hop 101 or if they were to do the Knight Rider theme (which I hope they wouldn't cuz it's sooo played out now) they would actually play the music on their bass and drums and whatnot, like re-making or covering that particular bit of the song.<P>did I explain it correctly? i hope so..<P>oh, and that brings me to another ?uestion for qoolquest... talking about samplers and whatnot, was that you doing the end of 'you got me'? or did y'all chop it up or something? i'm hoping it was you, because that'd be sooo dope. do you guys even use samplers in the studio?<P>later,<BR>mlt