Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRoots Sampling????
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=11743&mesg_id=11743
11743, Roots Sampling????
Posted by Phil, Sun Jun-20-99 04:10 PM
First off let me just say that although this is another seemingly endless "ever notice" posts of mine, i'm not fixated on finding out obscure facts about the Roots, it's something that I just noticed a long time ago and brought up here a long time ago but never got a response. Now...on to my post.<P>I know the Roots rarely sample and when they do, it's of themselves. But there is an unmistakeable sample on Organix, and no, i'm not talking about "Common Dust". After Listening to Popcorn Revisited for the first time, the bassline hit me. "I've heard this before". It took me a while but I finally figured it out. The Bassline is identical (or as identical as you can get and it not being the same) to the bassline on Lick A Shot from Cypress Hill's "Black Sunday" album.<P>Now here is my Question(s). I know that Black Sunday and Organix were released around the same time, somewhere back in 93 I believe so it might be coincidence or it might not, who knows, they might have bit The Roots. I was just wondering if the crew did this consciously. If it was a conscious effort, why did they pick that particular song? If it wasn't on purpose, have you ever noticed the similarities? <P>Curious to what you people think about this...<P>Respond/React<BR>Phil<P>"Ever since God created women, the devil has been out of work" - My Grandma