Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: what homophobic things did mos def & the roots say?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=11257&mesg_id=11392
11392, RE: what homophobic things did mos def & the roots say?
Posted by method360, Thu Apr-11-02 06:10 PM
if all these intelligent cats are saying stuff like this, maybe its for a reason? they aren't saying we should discriminate, beat up, or harrass gays. they are using the word fag to diss straight males who act/behave like punks/sell outs. these are cats with a proven track record of being knowledgeable. we cant discount that track record because they say fag. if anything we should ask ourselves, "why do all these wise cats use this term to diss straight males? do they know something, do they have some insight on something?" Again, gays do not deserve to be discriminated against in anyway, but they dont deserve to be anointed beyond having the word fag used in a rap either. I mean there are limits to what you can insist be done. You can insist that no one beat you up, murder you, discriminate against you because your gay. You cannot insist that intelligent hip-hop cats not use the term fag to diss straight males who are acting/behaving like punks/sellouts. You're really putting gay rights above all else. No one is trying to make hip-hop heads stop saying the word nigga. A politician running for office cant use the word fag or nigga, or else they'll be voted out of office. A hip-hop artists, however, doesn't have to be politically correct. They can tell a sellout suck their dick and then tell a young boy to go to school and study hard in the next sentence. They can diss a straight male by calling him a fag and then say you're a fag if you discriminate against gays in the next sentence. They can call a black man a nigger and then call another black man a king in the next sentence. You have to use the context when dealing with hip-hop. You cant just say, "EWwwww. He used the word fag. Lets flame him." Hip-hop artists can use the word fag in a million different ways, just like hip-hop artists can use the word nigger in a million ways. Thats hip-hop. Derogatory words can be used in hip-hop. Derogatory words have their meanings changed, reversed, and thrown back at the original user in hip-hop. Example:"Yo, you're a fag for killing homosexuals/my flow is deep and intellectual/words get flipped and herbs get ripped" Sure the word fag in the above line still has some 'roots' in homosexuality, but the meaning is starting to be reversed. Its starting to be thrown back at straight males who hurt homosexuals. The sting is starting to be taken away. The same with the word nigger. "Yo, my nigga is a king/with all the knowledge he brings/with a medal of honor/ that outshines the bling-bling" Sure the word nigga still has roots in slavery, but the meaning is being flipped and thrown back in the face of the racists. If your gonna give flack for the word fag in hip-hop, then you're gonna have to speak about the word nigga too. If not, then your argument is unfinished. My position is, it all depends on the context. "Kill all homosexuals, those fags/Kill those queens too/fucking drags" is a lot different from "got all that bling-bling he likes to brag/snatch you greed gotten ring/fuckin fag." "I hate black niggers/when we see 'em/we pullin our triggers" is different from "Cherryview cats/those my niggas/they get dough/but never brag about figgas(slang for figures)"

Nobody gets flamed for using the word nigga in hip-hop. Nobody should get flamed for using the word fag either.