Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Blazing Arrows, kinda whack?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=11029&mesg_id=11112
11112, RE: Blazing Arrows, kinda whack?
Posted by QuestForKnowledge, Tue Apr-23-02 05:26 AM
Well I do think most of the Okayplayer records compliment each other (which is more of a good thing) but I wouldn't say they all sound alike.

Now if Black Thought were on EVERY Comm album.. who was on EVERY Roots album, who was on EVERY Dilated album.. who was on EVERY Jazzys album.. and they all had the exact same song content and musical style... they I would agree.

Compare "The Light" to "The Blast".. two tight OKP joints.. but they're nothing alike. "Untitled" to "Worst Comes To Worst" even more different. "The Way" to "Dynamite!" ...I think you get the point.

I think the OKP sound is more of a musical, and personal maturity that usually isnt appreciated by most purist Hip Hop cats.

(Excuse me if I just repeated everyting some of you already said).

Regarding Blackalicious.. I'm sure the album is tight.. but I have a feeling its gonna be way different than that BBoy-Premo-Gangstarresque-East Coast Hip Hop. That's not always a bad thing though.

What keeps this genre alive is the fact that MCs can't take the music in a new (and totally different) direction. Even a direction that people may not initially feel.

I'm gonna cop "Blazing Arrow" 1) cause I like "Make you feel that way". It's different than most joints I've heard before, but I still feel it. 2) Because I've decided to support Hip Hop this year by buying all the "real" joints that come out...even if they aren't classic.

Peace and Love
-Ren