Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectnow that the music portion of songwriting is done on my end...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=10873&mesg_id=10889
10889, now that the music portion of songwriting is done on my end...
Posted by qoolquest, Wed Mar-21-01 11:07 PM
i start tracking songs in april. although i'm sure guest people and other band memebers will contribute. as well as all my joints not make it. i start with a vision of how i want the album to be.....

let's look at the first day of tracking in "do you want more??!!" diary december 1993:

i saw this:

THE ROOTS. HOMEGROWN. DGC GEFFEN COMING SPRING OF 1994.

side one:

-it's coming
-the ultimate (not that one but another one)
-distortion to static
-mellow my man
-dat skat

side two:

-tighten your cipher
-jawn with digables
-represent (whose instrumental strangly wound up on that roots instrumental bootleg)
-west coast skit (first thing on the mike, riq does dead on too short imitation)

side three:

-flattery (riq's posse cut with himself as Jb's, tip, busta, chuck d, kool g, and special ed -essaywhuman (note on page: riq don't want to do this so we might can it)
-joint with black sheep.
-"....." (a song that we did frequently in concert with a chorus that went "to the beat y'all...we rock on and on..." did it on teen summit)
-"hangin round da way" (my solo joint...you heard correct. written by scott and his boy kam)

side four:

-slow joint from last night aka jodeci (we gave birth to "silent treatment" at last night's rehersal, must show them that this could be a hit if we did it slowly)
-cassandra wilson jawn.
-the session pt 2 (shit actually was dope...but too long and unorganized)
-shorty no mas duet (make it like cube/yoyo man's world jawn where she comes on top for critic acclaim angle )
-poem

so as it stands now:

INTRODUCING THE ROOTS. MCA. SPRING 2002.

side one
-start with short urs poem instead of end.
-introduce (5 part song in which each memeber talks about himself and music reflects lifestyle. ie scratch beatboxing, soulquarian joint for me, keyboard thug synth for kamal and so on)
-kelo's joint. fast paced 113bpm spgtti wstrn joint.
-come on down joint (3 beat changes, use full larry orchestra)
-"want some more" (underdeveloped TFA song that i put under major construction, make riq do T pendergrass voice)
-change the style jawn (SOB on acid shit)
-????
-????
-????

side 2
-ragtime jawn me and james worked on in jamaica. either that or the TFA clones style joint we never finished
-skip jawn (riq rhyming over a record skipping off in various meters)
-jay shit (me singing in cher voice bending machine)
-single
-single
-single (i put em way later to force you to listen to album)
-tour de force epic at the end.

there...i ruined it for you. all the tricks and surprises. be funny to see how true this album stays to the vision i have for it. (closest i came to it was "illadelph")

i'll answer this post in 5 months.

and for those complaining. after i heard "pussy galore" you will not be mad at riq at all for this solo joint.

the source mic ratings 1990-2001

@@@@@
-edutainment (funny in the annivrsery issue they left this out...but i have the ice cube issue when they first started rating albums)
-people's instintive travels and the paths of rhythm
-amerikkka's most wanted
-let the rhythm hit em
-all for one
-de la soul is dead
-illmatic
-life after death
-aquemini
-niggaz4life* (not reveiwed but in summer issue 92 they mentioned it as a 5mic classic)

@@@@1/2
-sex and violence
-buisiness as usual
-business never personal
-whut thee album
-breaking atoms
-death certifacate
-buhloone mindstate
-the chronic
-enter the 36 chambers
-southernplayerlisticadillacmusic
-life after death
-the infamous
-only built 4 cuban links
-illadelph halflife
-hell on earth
-bow down
-i am
-murder muzick
-life story
-classic limited edition vol 1
-guerilla warfare
-in my lifetime vol.3
-la rock familia
-ecleftic:two sides to a story
-moment of truth
-supreame clientel
-last of a dying breed
-the truth

the gag mics-
fear of a black planet-@@@1/2
da shinin-@@@
stankonia-@@@@
lootpack-@@1/2
ressurection-@@@1/2
the beatnuts-@@@1/2**
mos def and talib kweli are black star-@@@1/2
the love movement-@@@1/2
fantastic vol 2-@@@1/2

*-source never reviewed, but mentioned in summer issue that it was a 5 mic classic.

**-the only record to change a rating after printing. in the next issue they printed (in fine print that it was a @@@@ mic album)