Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectWhat The Future Holds
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=4459&mesg_id=4494
4494, What The Future Holds
Posted by from_me_to_u, Fri Feb-20-04 01:56 PM
Ever since I got down with the music, I've watched almost all of my favourite emcees and producers (with the exception of Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth and Gang Starr) change there style or shill for the record label at one point or another in their career.

Now that you are considered an "A List Producer" and Little Brother are on the brink. Are you going to use any discretion with respects to the artists you choose to produce for or the type of music Little Brother releases. I know you have priorities and need to make a living, but sometimes the payoff doesn't happen when one forces to be more commercially viable. Ask Bootcamp, OC, Nas before God Son, etc.

Please just don't go out like Mos Def or M Def as he likes to call himself now. The new stuff I heard from him outside of "Beef" is extremely weak. A track with Ludacris? a beat produced by Swizz? I'm all for expansion and diversity, but this is the same guy who brought us "Umi Says". If your going to do a track with them make it sound unique. Make it look like they are featured on your track not vice versa. Any how I hope Mos Def is keeping his best material for his LP.

I just hope you guys, as much of a cliché as this sounds, "keep it real" and like De La says "Keep It Right".

Just out of curiosity who do you feel is the next artist/group or producer to have the same sort of success as you and LB has?

Strange Fruit?
Saukrates?
Murs?

Just a side note: "The Righteous Way To Go" - Edgar Allan Floe was a great cut and is engraved in my head.

All the best in the future and thank you for breathin life into the music, you guys were my highlight for 2003.

"Loved By A Few, Hated By Many, Respected By All"