Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectthe chimes on "Why" and "Armagideon Time" are the closest link
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=34324&mesg_id=34331
34331, the chimes on "Why" and "Armagideon Time" are the closest link
Posted by TotalRequestloveLive, Wed Nov-02-05 02:21 AM
Well first off, I mean while I think is a bit hastey to say that ?uestlove is hands down the best drummer in music today... at least I've heard it said before. But to say that Topper Headon was the best of his time... I've never heard of such an opinion much less thought about it. Topper was nasty, dont get me wrong, but I dont know about this claim you're making here.

I'd say if anything.. in order to be "the clash of hip hop" or the clash of anything really you have to look at a group's musical and lyrical progression. I'd say the formula would have to be as follows

1)The group would have to start out cutting edge and mold breaking, but ultimately their early work is rigidly within the essence of whatever genra they're in. (Even if they helped define what that genra is) In other words, the clash were straight ahead punk in the early days.

2)The group outgrows the genra they defined. They start to experiment outside of the lines of said genra, and mix in different sounds with that original sound.

3)The group's experimentation again defines a certain "sound," and they're no longer mixing in different elements into the first genra, but simply creating creating gerna-defying music.

I mean that is a crude way to break this down, but I think it'll do. I don't know if the roots fit that mold at all. I mean I suppose you could say that The roots started off the essence of what an organic hip hop band would be on Organix, and then began to experiment (illadelph- try to sound like samples; TFA- encorporate drum and bass into live hip hop; Phrenology- what does a hip hop band sound like when they try to rock; TTP- organic group sounding inorganic with the stortch beats) Don't hold that quick little roots summary against me, but I feel like we all know where and how the roots have experimented and encorporated otehr genras and sounds into their own.

Ultimately however, as original as the roots are... they are more original in approach, technique, and in method, than in outcome. Example: Illadelph Halflife isn't as unique SOUNDING, as was uniquely RECORDED. Don't get me wrong, they do things that nobody ever has, and they've been the first to do a lot of shit. They're pioneers, and while they certainly have some unique songs in their catelogue, at the end of the day, you could agrue that the roots make unique HIP HOP music, while The Clash were making unique MUSIC. Sure You Got Me is astounding if only for the drum and bass at the end, but its still a hip hop song. I don't know what the fuck you'd call something like the Clash's "Straight to Hell."

I think that the only sutable group to be "The Clash of Hip Hop" is OutKast.

They started off Straight ahead hip-hop, while helping to define the soutehr sound. They moved to perfecting their brand of hip hop, while branching out beyond their regional sound. Started to make some one of a kind sounding, never ever to be heard again type shit, and then penned shit like BOB and Ghettomuzik which simply is in a brand by itself. Outkast arent as as political Joe Strummer, but they're about as political as Thought most days of the week.

I don't really like either comparison, but I'd say (for what it counts of course, which isnt much,) OutKast is the Clash of Hip Hop... uh, maybe.

Until the roots can keep up with the Clash's Punk-Rockabilly-Reggae-Rock-n-Roll-Dub-Showtunes-Prog.rock-hiphop-newwave-world-disco I don't think we have to have this discussion again

With that said the Roots are doing some thangs.

peace,
TotalRequestloveLive