Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectWhat do OkayArtists do for a living?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25905&mesg_id=25905
25905, What do OkayArtists do for a living?
Posted by guest, Fri Mar-10-00 09:27 PM
I know Common's three albums combined have not gone gold (sold 500,000 copies), so how is this man paying bills? I know a lot (most?) of cash flow comes in from tours, but he's not exactly Ruff Ryders or Cash Money. He can't be making that much doing "Special Guest" appearances. So what does he actually do for a living? Is Com baggin groceries or what?<P>I mean, I know a lot of emcees (especially underground) have other occupations while they're dropping albums. Like, Mad Skillz used to be a parking lot attendant in Virginia a couple years ago (probably still is). So what did the Roots do for a living before the hip-hop cash flow became steady?<P>---------------------------<BR>"when science finally locates the center of the universe, some people will be surprised to learn they're not it."<BR>- unknown<P>"words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them."<BR>- nathaniel hawthorne<P>"whatever happens it was written, meaning God meant it..." <BR>- nasir jones