Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectFinal Thoughts (Like it matters...)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=25320&mesg_id=25426
25426, Final Thoughts (Like it matters...)
Posted by Mosaic, Wed Apr-05-00 12:46 PM
I've read all of the responses and the comments (not an easy task, timewise) and have marinated a little bit on things.

I think the big reason for some of the adverse reactions to the Soulquarians is summed up best by something that Pinoynj/Omar wrote:

"I just can't digest what you (?uestlove/Soulquarians) feeding me this time."

The people that pick up "Voodoo" and "LWFC" are all at different stages in their understandings of music, life, etc.

Just like a newborn, some folk have to have things in a simpler form to get the most out of them at the time.

Think of the best damn meal your mom has ever made.

Now that meal may have been the dopest thing ever concocted in a kitchen, but would you ever try to feed that to a newborn? Hell no!

But just 'cause that newborn really isn't ready to get it's mouth on that dish, does it mean that that meal is any less dope? Hell no!

Just because you either don't, can't, or aren't capable of feeling Voodoo or LWFC (at this time) doesn't mean that either LP is wack, not innovative, or whatever labels you're trying to tag on it.

Maybe it'll take a week, a month, or a lifetime to completely feel them, but in no way does that erase the merit of each effort by the Soulquarians.

Another thing that seems to be popping up frequently is that the LPs are "repetitive."

Just like ?uestlove (summary--repetitive in comparison to what?) and donwill (summary--it's the carving of a signature sound) mentioned, there's a reason that the albums and their songs within each album sound, for lack of a better word, similar.

Using LWFC for an example--

Comparing LWFC to the majority of Hip Hop releases currently out is like comparing the 3 hours of Kubrick's "2001" to 3 hours of episodes of "The Simpsons." (I love both 2001 and The Simpsons)

Most Hip Hop albums today have an emcee spitting over a smattering of different producer's works. There's nothing wrong with it, in fact, it enables "heads" from all persuasions to get a load of what that emcee is about. For the most part though, in my opinion, there really isn't communication going on between the different producers on what direction the emcee is trying to take or what the emcee's vision (correct me if I'm wrong AND if you can cite specific examples). Most people working on projects have a preoccupation with getting something out that's "hot."

That's where Com came different with LWFC. He had something specific he wanted to do with LWFC and enlisted the help of those he felt could best achieve that. From what I've read, it seems that the project was decently tight knit from the outset and followed through all the way.

The 2001/Homer Analogy?

It's cool to see the Simpsons banter and carry on through various wacky exploits within 30 minutes and see them get funky in another 30 minutes within situations set down by different sets of writers. But seeing all 3 hours of "2001," a movement in and of itself, is something that, in my eyes, is more about experiencing something in its wholeness and not just spectating fragments.

So what people seem to be labeling as "boring" or "repetitive," is really just a work that is nearly defined by its cohesiveness, something that, as of late, doesn't come along very often in the music world, much less the Hip Hop Nation.

My last point (if these can be called points) concerns the Rakim definition of MCing which someone brought up. It's one of my favorite definitions, in fact, and the idea is that someone is on a stage transfusing their essence through the mic and out the speakers to the crowd and having that crowd respond with a certain degree of connection to the energy and craziness of the show. If you've ever experienced that than you've witnessed a true emcee.

But what about after the jam, when the ringing of your ears finally fades and you have to get back to the grind of the life that you live on the daily. You still moving?

To me, that's where Com and the Soulquarians come in...having a lasting impact on whoever will give their ish a listen. To move the crowd beyond the circumstances of the moment and into the realization that for some people this music is life--that to me is truly the Next Movement.

Peace,
Mosaic

Keep checkin' for Osmosis Jones!

"Mosaic got soul"
--The Official Amina Stamp of Approval

As expected, drummer Questlove is playing on all tracks on the album. He comments, "Well, actually, I just hit each drum once and sample it, but it has to be a drum hit from me. I pour peanut butter all over my snare and put a live weasel in my kick drum to get that classic sound."
--?uestlove's production techniques for okayartist Trick Daddy's new album according to dollarcab

"Just because there's an abandoned building on our block don't mean we should stop planting flowers and shit."
--Angieee (the DAISY age 'Stress)

CELEBRATING APRIL AS WACK QUOTE MONTH ON OKAYPLAYER.COM
I used to get pussy, but I busted off quick
Now I gets none so I gotta beat my dick
Times are hard in the ghetto, I gotta steal for a living
Eating turkey-flavored Now & Laters for Thanksgiving
*snip*
My clothes are so funky, they're bad for my health
Sometimes at night my pants go to the bathroom by themself
--DMX "Born Loser"