Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectcheck one, two
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=14502&mesg_id=14557
14557, check one, two
Posted by stylus, Fri Aug-06-99 10:14 AM
it don't stop.<P>If the <BR>>music is presented within a "scene" <BR>>that is alienating then that will <BR>>hinder the way & how it <BR>>travels.<P>When I attend or participate in events in D.C. that are "conscious" or "progressive", there are often roundtheway brothas and sistas there. Even some thuggish types. I'm not being derogatory, because that's the background I grew up in. I welcome a mix of folks, because while I often get annoyed at the ignorance of a lot of the "hardrocks", I can get equally perturbed at the pretension of some of the "conscious" people. I've seen "hardrock" emcees get embarrassed in the cypher by a sister that refused to be called a bitch. I've seen "conscious" emcees get crunched by loud angry rappers when they stumbled in their clumsy big words... and I cheered.<P>>plain & simple...I'm insulted by the implication that we're all mindless and solely @ the mercy of evil white corporation.<P>I'm not implying that we're completely mindless. Because when it benefits us, we'll be quick to conform to whatever ignorant shuck-and-jive these corporations require to sign us. That takes some cost/benefit analysis. Then once we get some modicum of ownership and control (i.e. Puffy, but he still has to bow down to the distributors) we use our increased leverage to send even more bullshit down the pipeline, making our pockets that much fatter.<P>> Though I believe our tastes are shaped by major > radio and media (and that's everyone including > many in the "underground" scene as well)<P>I don't even use the term "underground". The underground/commercial schism is some more silly shit that has been discussed ad infinitum on these boards.<P>> ..every record played on major radio doesn't > translate into a number 1 hit - therefore we do > discriminate on some level.<P>This statement does not rebut my opinion of the overpowering influence of commercial radio.<P>Not every record can make it number 1. That's why it's called a number 1. There has to be some discrimination because no one has enough disposable income to buy every record they hear. Forgive my sarcasm but it makes a point.<P>> Many records with heavy advertising don't sell so it does go beyond that.<P>I wasn't talking about advertising. Every record that gets heavy commercial airplay is succesful though.<P>> Though many hate to admit it, some "commercial" records simply sound good<P>I don't hate to admit it. This was never part of the debate taking place. I love a lot of commercial records (Busta, Mary J., Redman, 112, Faith, etc.). I hate a lot of them too, but I also recognize that there's as much, or even more bullshit in the so-called "underground". This is tangential to our discussion.<P>> Funny story, I went to a birthday party of a complaining anti-industry rapper and guess what his dj threw on to get the party started? Badboy<P>So?<BR> <BR>>>Master P's success is a fortunate (for <BR>>>him) coincidence in that his gritty <BR>>>"hood" music (I won't debate its <BR>>>artistic merit) soundly meshed with the <BR>>>dominant themes being spewed from the <BR>>>major labels.<P>>bullshit...Master P worked hard for what he's <BR>>achieved..<BR>its not luck. If the shit <BR>>wasn't bangin' on some level, it <BR>>would not have had regional appeal.<P>I never said he didn't work hard. He did a masterful job to gain the huge regional following that sold truckloads of his records. IMHO, the luck comes in because the type of stuff he was peddling happened to coincide with what the power-brokers of the industry decided they wanted to push from their end, so they let him get a foot in the door. Don't get it twisted, Master P may have built a huge independent label and is a smart businessman, but he still signed on for distribution with Priority in the end. When black folk start getting Bertelsman type of juice then we can talk.<P>>People like the way it sounds <BR>>and regardless of whether you (or <BR>>I) think its artistic or not<P>My personal opinion of his music was never brought up.<P>>For every <BR>>selling emcee there are 1000 more <BR>>who don't.<P>What's the point of this? Of course everybody who rhymes is not going to blow up. That's self-evident.<P>>more than coincidence...nihilism has always been <BR>>popular & a lot of people <BR>>do it, they don't all sell.<P>It hasn't always been popular, come on now. And that "they don't all sell" argument was addressed earlier. If I put on a camoflauge suit, scream obscenities, and flaunt naked women in my videos and I don't blow up, that is no proof that the explanations I've been laying out in my previous arguments is false. <P>> They don't care to here <BR>>>anything that they haven't been brainwashed <BR>>>to believe is hot. They don't <BR>>>want to/know how to think for <BR>>>themselves. >DJ'S CAN'T "BREAK" RECORDS ANYMORE. Either in >the clubs or on the radio. <P>>once again you insult the intelligence of the average folk<P>No I'm not. Just stating frankly what it's like being on the frontlines of entertainment. When somebody wants to kick your ass out front of the club because you didn't play 5 Ruff Ryders songs in a row, that tells you something.<P>What I'm saying is not insulting. It comes down to this, the people that are brainwashed by commercial outlets are not ignorant. They just don't care about music too much. For me and people like us, music is a spiritual experience. It is a deep component of our personalities and culture. For a lot of other people, it's simply entertainment. They don't care to dig deep and challenge themselves with what they listen to, they're content to have it spoon-fed to them. <P>I never made a value judgement on anyone's intelligence, don't put words in my mouth.<P>> (but these are the people you play for?..<P>On many occasions. I've played go-go spots with the hardest of the hustlers. I've played jiggy spots, young spots, older spots, I've done it all.<P>> if you don't respect the crowd is it any wonder there's a poor relationship? - but that's a another story).<P>Why are you implying that I don't respect the crowd? As a dj in a certain setting, I have to bend my personal tastes to what the people want. I have to pack my crates with the most popular records. But what if they don't respect me? What if I have to get screamed on, threatened, etc? What if I'm enslaved to the same playlist week after week because the slightest deviation will have people cursing me?<P>> Maybe the djs need to step up their game.<P>This is true. I can't stand a shitty dj. Ruins my whole night.<P>> I went to a S & S party a while back where he played current ish, things I never heard before, and mad old school records (hip hop & r&b).<P>DJ's with a certain name recognition can play almost any damn thing they want and no one will question it. It's a luxury that comes with fame. Ever been to a Biz Markie party? That fool will play "Oh Mickie you're so fine". BTW, I've enjoyed S&S when I've seen him. His tapes suck though.<P>> The crowd of "brainwashed masses" was feeling it.<P>Why are you stereotyping them?<P>> Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't or doesn't Flex break records @ the Tunnel before they get air play?<P>So I've heard. But this is because he's Flex. He's part of the mega-commercial machine that sets the trends now. If he says it's hot, it's hot. Not because people take a minute to let it sink in and realize it's dope. That may happen sometimes but I wouldn't bet on its prevalence.<P>>Now I grew up in clubs....<P>Like I said, it was different back in the day.<P>if the <BR>>song is hot, people will dance <BR>>unless the dj mixes it in <BR>>wrong or otherwise fucks it up.<P>Luckily I have tight hand skills and crowd skills.<BR> <BR>> I've been <BR>>in many spots where a dj <BR>>has talent on the turntables but <BR>>NO clue as to how to <BR>>work a crowd<P>So have I. It blows.<P>>>When "Put Your Hands Where>My Eyes Can See" came out I played it in the club about 3 weeks before commercial radio got to it. The whole dance floor cleared. Once 'PGC jumped on it, a month later people were falling over themselves to get in my face requesting that song. <P>>I would love <BR>>to hear how you went about <BR>>playing that joint. <P>You sure would. Because my shit is tight.<P>>>Now I only DJ clubs/parties when I <BR>>>know it's a progressive crowd. <P>>Now really, is that something Bambatta would've <BR>>said?<P>Nope. Because people were open to creativity back then. I fiend to do parties where I can actually get excited about digging in my crates a week beforehand, pull out underexposed gems, experiment with mixes, and practice a set...<P>The way Bambaataa used to do.<P>-djstylusmakeitrealfunky4u<BR><a href="http://www.boondocks.net">http://www.boondocks.net<;/a><BR><a href="http://www.strictlyhiphop.com">http://www.strictlyhiphop.com<;/a><BR>"do your part and support the art you like, 2 turntables and a mic" - Unspoken Heard<P>Okayplayer posting frequency follows a function inverse to job satisfaction<BR>