Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectThanks for the welcome & don't be annoyed
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=14502&mesg_id=14522
14522, Thanks for the welcome & don't be annoyed
Posted by nahymsa, Wed Aug-11-99 05:38 AM
1) Hip hop can't grow beyond what it is, what is @ its heart which is black creativity & black cultural expression. That is not an insult to any other group (and many latinos are simply black people who speak spanish anyway, had they been dropped off in jamaica - no one would feel the need to differentiate - but that's another topic).<P>2) Music has no boundaries but culture & experience shapes music and black culture is the foundation of hip hop - when you (speaking generally) seek to take away or belittle that truth, you take away from the essence. My grandmother was hip hop when she beat my ass & broke on me like it was a song, every lick on time, every line on beat. My church was hip hop, when the preacher called for an amen, the congregation responded. Hip hop is just another way for us to do what we've always done since day one. <P>3) I respect talent, and Puff & P have a talent for marketing & promotion. In P's case this has afforded him a level of independence & wealth that is rare for rappers. I read an interview where he say he gives 60% of his money back to his bus, 20% to the community, and 20% for himself & fam. He's hiring primarily black people, and in the end I feel his good more than outweighs the bad (you may have a different opinion).