Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectRE: RIP MPOZI
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=97076&mesg_id=97308
97308, RE: RIP MPOZI
Posted by JdotNicholas, Fri Jul-07-06 01:11 AM
I signed up for the boards for this, so I apologize for the low postcount . . .

I used to roll with Mpozi back when we all went to CAPA together here in Philly, and I remember a few fond things, like when he went through his 'skinhead' stage and I would ride the sub with him and watch people gawk at his tall ass in electric blue doc martens and leather jacket. We would have conversations about just being yourself, and if people didn't 'get' you, that's their loss. He was such a sensitive, amazingly smart cat, and was so genuine. He was a good friend to me. We both helped each other, and he'd sometimes roll up and we'd just kick it, talking about the universe. . . He was so young and so damned smart. A lotta people didn't know how to deal with that, so he talked about stuff like that alot.

When we got older, and I'd run into him after high school and he was deep into his photography, I was so amazed at how great and natural he was at it - like he found his voice through the lens. I think I still have one of his City Paper covers to this day with him on the front - the look on his face in the pic was a confidence that I immediately recognized understood. He stayed himself, and the world was starting to catch up to him, he was so far beyond the normal BS.

I'm truly saddened by this. I lost touch with him when he moved outta town, and every month or so I'd troll the 'net trying to find out how he was, and was always proud of him, because I know he was out there making art. He's still an inspiration to me. What a special class of people that came outta that school during that time . . .

I'll miss you brother, but I'll see you again.

Jamar